March 29, 2024, 03:37:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut vests on bay dogs  (Read 651 times)
Cooter56
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »

Haven't been on here in a couple months so not sure if its been brought up. I would like to hear some opinions on running cut gear on bay/strike dogs. I don't, but I got on a bad hog this past weekend and he killed my bulldog and cut three cur dogs pretty bad. I run cut gear on a bulldog obviously but never on a bay dog. This may have been just a crazy situation but it could have been alot worse. So if y'all could help me out it would be appreciated. R.I.P Buddy

Dont Back Up, Dont Back Down
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »

It can happen almost anytime to almost any dog.

There are positives and negatives to running vests.

A vest can limit your hunting due to heating up your dog. Dogs can also get hung up easier in briars/barbed wire wearing one. I've HEARD it can make dogs rougher.

Without one... Well, we know what CAN happen.

It's up to you. Just have to chose what you want to do.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
SaltyhoggerJr
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:29 pm »

Originally I thought I'd put a bay vest on my cur. Now, no way. Specifically because I don't want her to get to hot. I think she will be pretty rough as she's showed it on a few hogs she's been on but she's not suicidal so in my eyes I'd never vest her. She does have a cut collar though.
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:22 pm »

I dont run vest on my strike dog hes loose bay but anything can happen like last night he got cut up.
vest might have helped. Usually never gets cut last night just happen to be one of those hairy situations.
Ive had rougher dogs in the past if I ever get more I will probably vest em.
Cooter56
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

Yea my main cur dogs are pretty rough. Unless its a bad hog I don't even need a catch dog. This is the first time they've got cut this bad, so that's why I'm questioning if I need to run cut gear on them.

Dont Back Up, Dont Back Down
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:43 pm »

Personal preference I guess. I run a RCD so I vest him of course. But my bay dogs only have collars. The way I figure my RCD will catch first so he takes the brunt. Once he catches and the others start to pile on the hog is less able to actually damage another dog. So far my RCD is the only one been cut but the others have got a couple scratches. A properly fitted light weight Kevlar vest doesn't slow them down much buy u have to watch the heat.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
alapaha blue blood
Strike Dog

Tiny

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:50:14 am »

We run bay vest on our rough strike dogs it doesn't seem to slow them down at all I think they get used to it but like the others said its personal preference I would rather him be vested and be able to hunt all week long rather then a few days and cut down for a week and a quality light weight Kevlar vest is the way to go if u do decide to get one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: