April 20, 2024, 04:18:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad ear cut.  (Read 1016 times)
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:22:05 pm »

My cuatro gyp took a pretty nasty hit on her ear Thursday night. Her ear is partially detached from her head. Along with numerous other cuts down and around her ear. They bayed up in a hell of a thicket, and when cuatro caught the hog fell on her, and he just thrashed her. It is still in tact, but it just don't look like its gonna stay without help, theres no way to really staple it without stapling straight to the meat. And it was bleeding so bad I couldn't even begin to staple it the night it happened, I had to wrap it super tight just to get it to stop before she bled out. And everytime I went to staple it back we would start the process over. Blood stop powder was just running out as fast as I put it in. Its a tricky deal. Anybody ever had this happen?? My vet told me to fold the ear back over her head and leave it wrapped for days at a time. and to keep her on amoxicillin.
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:24:18 pm »

Just figure somebody hear has delt with this before and could give me some feedback on how it grew back.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:29:35 pm »

Dealt with ear rips and before, but not one that was torn near off completely. I always did pretty much what your vet said to do. Takes time. Ears are notorious for bleeding a lot too, repeatedly busting everything back open when they shake their heads....hence keeping it wrapped to her head. Never dealt with an ear issue that severe though.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:15:50 am »

Tranquilize her an start stitching the spots with dissolvable string but silk string works too, just where the bloods coming from really bad to slow the blood flow down from the area of the meat, and use nylon string for the ears skin stitching.  spray blue knots med spray and keep a cone collar on her head to stop her from itching with her feet Then get her drugged up pretty good for a week an slowly cut back on the pain meds .  sorry to hear about your dog!
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:37:29 am »

Mud dog, what are you using to tranquilize?
TChunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:12:11 am »

I had one do this a few years back...make sure you keep the meds going to prevent infection too. His ear was basically ripped off. Looked like he was scalped. I held the ear back in place and kept it wrapped for awhile but took the wrap off each day to keep it clean. The dog might get some drainage and it might make it a little dizzy. He healed up in about a month.
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:16 am »

It's a little more than that sometime because the ear is just cartilage. best bet is to take it to the vet!!!

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:03 am »

tranquived (xylazine) vedco works good  about 1.0ml per 50lbs  an dormosedan (detomidine hydrochloride) works to..
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:22 pm »

The reason I said that is because there are lots of blood vessels that run into the ear and if they don't properly allow blood to flow through the ear it will die.

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:12:25 pm »

vets do some things good but lets be real it may be to late for the blood vessels to re attach its self.. I'm sure a vet would charge 1000 Dollars or more for something that may not work and then they may end up saying it needs to be removed ..  so i hope she heals up good bud
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

Thanks guys for all the replys. I agree
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:21 pm »

With y'all on bein to late, she's starting to get a film over the wound. She's doped up on antibiotics. Will keep her going.

Muddog, where are you buying these tranquilizers? My vet will sell me anything I need over the counter except tranquilizers. Sure need to get some to help her out while I wash it out. She is plenty tender.
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:25:15 pm »

where about u live ?  aunt and sister is a vet..
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 05:25:38 pm »

I'm in Abilene, Tx.
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:18:02 pm »

oh that's fair i was going to give u some if you where around houston..   How is she doing?
Ekunkel
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 08:55:30 pm »

Muddog shes pullin thru like allways! If anything that ole girl is a tough one! Shes the one that had the rabid skunk encounter last winter, shes yet to give up on us. I pulled her wrap off, and thanks to "mattr" found the incredible underwoods horse medicine. Ill definitely be keepin that on the shelf from now on. She scabbed up and healing good. She will be huntin within the next 3 weeks. Yall ever use any of that underwoods??
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:47 am »

That's great news bud!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: