April 19, 2024, 11:40:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bad luck or bad judgement?  (Read 1251 times)
bigtug092
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »

Well....
To say the least i have had for the most part very unpleasant experiences with hunting with new people for the past few years. It has made me very leary about hunting with anyone new to me. Im not sure if i have had just plain bad luck on peole that i have decided to hunt with or if i have terrible judgement on who i choose to go with for the first time. For the most part i only hunt by myself or with one of my close buddies that i have hunted with for years.

I have moved and have a job that i work 4-10s so i have lots of extra time to hunt, for the most part a lot more time then my hunting buddies do. So that leaves me with options of finding some new faces to go with or take the dogs out alone all the time lol. 

so i guess my question is.....does everyone have all these bad experiences hunting with new people or is it just me and my bad judgement?? 
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:21:59 pm »

More than likely it ain't you lot of these guys are like used car salesman they just say what you want to hear and then never do what they say and egos are high in this game jmo
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »

Well....I am a little Leary myself but there HAVE been folks I've taken to right away and really not had any issues with the people.

As far as hunting with new people, I'm more likely to hunt with a newby who's just trying to get started than I am a veteran.....unless it's someone I've talked to on numerous occasions and really have a feel for them.

Maybe I've just been lucky but my instincts have served me pretty well to this point  Grin

"Let's talk some philosophy"
bigtug092
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »

Yea i have had bad experiences from someone showing me a dog to someone just wanting to hunt to someone asking me to join them in hunts. Just bad luck i reckon, and people being delusional about there dog/dogs lol
Texashog26
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:18:55 pm »

Where you located bigtug always lookin for a different place and a new face to go with. I think we ain't normal around here either we might get along.

It just ain't easy!!!
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:44:30 pm »

We only hunt with one other person, an older gentleman, for a reason, lol. I doubt it's bad luck on your part. Just a bunch of crummy people.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
BigNoseKate
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:50:28 pm »

Turn that frown upside down! I'm sure everyone has had their fair share of awkward situations when hunting w new and different folks... They could be different than you AND their dogs may hunt different than yours, ie different style, not honor bays... Etc... Which is a recipe for a frustrating hunt. You just have to keep in mind everyones different-aint nothing wrong w it- its what makes the world go round! IMO it's bound to happen first few hunts w new folks... Not exactly sure what you mean by "bad experiences," but it may be a good idea to meet potential new hunting buddies more than once outside of hunting- get a feel for y'all's styles and how y'all hunt. Take turns dropping dogs rather than combining them.  Just like the post in general discussion- there are good folks out there!

Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:21 pm »

My problem is no one hunts like I do.  I have made some great friends off this website.  It has been hard for me though as far as hunting buddys because I run rcds or finder holder what ever you want to call them they are short ranged and in a lot of people eyes probally junk but they catch me swine well sometes lol.  To me it boils down to peoples preference in dogs.  So maybe a little of both on your question.   Meet someone new go with them or they go with you with NO dogs has been my best luck
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »

I know what you mean...some people don't have the same edicit that I do or different styles or different personalities or whatever.  I have met several guys off of hear I can usually talk to someone once or twice and know if I like them.  The few guys I have met off of here have been good guys.  If I am going to invite someone to hunt with me, I talk to them on the phone or at least text a while to see if they are like me or not. 
mattr
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:00:38 pm »

I've met some good and some not as good. Most of the people I have met are good guys, and I am  glad I met them.

Drill here drill now
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 10:41:12 pm »

Rule 1 for me is no blow Hards. If they tell me they have the best dogs around good for them. They can hunt with their crew on their place.

Rule number 2  is if they constantly ask to hunt with me especially if we have just met the answer is no.

My first question for someone I'm hunting with is how they hunt and what kind of dogs they run. If u run loose dogs I will keep mine loaded till u pick urs up. If u ask me to turn loose I will but u know what I run.

If u hunt with me on my place it's my rules. Your place is your rules.

I have the finest armadillo dogs in the country. The last thing I need is somebody trying to bring in a bunch of jam up hog dogs and show me how it's done.

Basically If they try to be the be all to end all or super doggers I pass. I like to run with guys that have pretty good dogs that good from time to time. The further they are from my normal hunting spots the better. Less likely to try to steal my spots and me theirs. Keeps folks honest.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 10:43:23 pm »

That goof up time to time.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
bigtug092
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:53:24 pm »

I have had simple problems such as different hunting styles and delusional hunters --- all the way to as bad as literally getting spot lighted and shot at ending with me calling the cops to come diffuse the situation. Bad deal to say the least.

As far as different hunting styles doesn't really bother me I only keep a hand full of dogs at a time and really at the moment only have one strike dog that I hunt every hunt (lookin for a good young dog as I posted on dog trade) and he can blend with most any pack for the most part! And my catch dogs just do there job lol  Grin

I am located in Victoria area. Have a few spots to hunt around central Texas also.

Problem with texting and all it seems lots of people talk a good game over the phone, haha just text some people off the dog trade and you will see.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 10:58:25 pm »

I like to hear a mans voice. I don't do Buisiness by text or email and same goes for finding folks to hunt with.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
bigtug092
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:17 pm »

Very true^^
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »

I hunt my dogs only 99% of the time. In the last year I hunted with another buddy one time. I like to do it my way and most hunts were last min.
  I wouldn't mind taking new guys hunting if I found some that didn't rub me the wrong way.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: