April 27, 2024, 04:43:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: breaking up dog fights  (Read 5131 times)
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 09:47:06 am »

My dogs all know I am alpha...no doubts there...but when it boils down to the bulldogs, if they're home on the yard and not out working and actually doing something, and somehow someway a hardware malfunction on their chains occur, and one breaks off......human alpha doesn't mean shat anymore. All that's on their mind is battle royale if they run into another bulldog. Only thing separating that is a break stick to break holds, and pulling the loose dog out of that chain spot as fast as possible.

I know that in this forum we are talking about folks who own bulldogs for catching purposes, so they usually own only one, maybe two. As well as the fact that a lot of folks seem to expect their bulldogs to run amongst the other dogs freely. To each their own prerogative. But to me, the risk is always there. I don't care how cold the bulldog is. I've seen it over and over with my own two eyes. (Ours are used as lead in CD's, and when they are home, they are all secure to their own chain spots.) It also urks me a bit when I hear people so quick to condemn a bulldog to death when for whatever reason said bulldog shows dog aggression. I can see the dog being a poor fit to that person, I get that,I really do, but it IS a breed characteristic/trait that people ARE aware of, and should  understand before owning one. (Even folks that just keep one around for a CD.) Bulldog/Bulldog breeds aren't for everyone. A lot of folks don't even know how to handle one in case of a yard accident. Which is something else everyone that feeds a bulldog should know (how to effectively break a bulldog off of something, with a break stick) Same concept as breaking them off a hog really, yet I still see people throw out all the crazy advice like shocking/wetting/whopping over the head etc. (Which very well may work on other breeds, lol.) Bulldogs are in a league of their own. We all have our own expectations of our packs and I respect that, but I just get so tired of hearing people condemning bulldogs to death so quickly when they exhibit a trait that has been in their genetics for many decades. Kinda like getting pissed at a Australian shepherd for nipping at your heels wanting to herd, or a terrier for digging holes in the yard. Different levels of outcome, but same concept.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: