March 28, 2024, 06:14:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hitting the Hay Pen......Gonna try something new  (Read 1466 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:24 pm »

Well...there is a hay pen on my place that gets hit by the hogs....probably on a nightly basis.

I've spot lighted it and confirmed hogs were there and then pulled in and dropped bay dogs right on top of them as they were executing a mass exit, lol. I've Done this twice with success....but I think this time...just for the fun of it...were gonna try something a little different.

Were gonna park down the road, grab every CD we own and circle around downwind. When the CD's wind the pigs were gonna cut 'em loose. Just hoping they single out pigs of their own and don't end up on just 1 or 2, lol.

I know where the pigs run when they get busted...so....After all the fireworks we'll just drop some strike/bay dogs on their track near the river and go to work the traditional way.

Should be interesting!

"Let's talk some philosophy"
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:52:17 pm »

I'll bet you a sawmill dollar you'll catch one single with all the catch dogs on first drop. There's always one catch dog that's faster and gets there first and all the rest go straight to the fight.
Best of luck to y'all though, hope y'all catch a mess of
Em!!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:58:44 pm »

Yeah...I've been thinking about it. Possibly spread out a bit....horizontal line.....30 feet between each dog. Maybe cut down the odds of that happening.

chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:26:07 pm »

I'll bet you a sawmill dollar you'll catch one single with all the catch dogs on first drop. There's always one catch dog that's faster and gets there first and all the rest go straight to the fight.
Em!!

Happens to me on almost every sounder... unfortunately
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:24:10 pm »

Em!!

Happens to me on almost every sounder... unfortunately
Heck chad, if your catching one out of a sounder your doing better than me! Here lately with starting all these pups I feel like I'll never catch a hog again! This years pups will take track and go hunt, but now howdy are they easily tempted by furry lil creatures!

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:34:29 pm »

Torrow night! Looking forward to it...could be interesting...could be anti-climactic, lol.

New to us... That's for sure.

KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »

So it was a mess...nothing worked the way it was suppose to.

The hogs were there initially but we must have got busted...as we closed...we were waiting for my older bulldog cross (more or less a RCD/really rough hunting dog) to wind...well he never winded in the direction of the pen but he seemed to be winding more to the east. We got within 100 or so and I told Blake I was just gonna let him go. Well.. The original plan was to let Emmett (my young CD) go at the same time I let Zeus go...I told my brother " don't let him go " and apparently he didn't hear me clearly.

Anyway, those 2 flew straight east. We kept walking... Hit the fence around the pen and of course...nothing there. At that exact moment I heard the fight. Looked at my garmin...Zeus and Emmett out 550.

Me and a couple boys took off that way...Zeus had split off and went north...we found Emmett.

In the light I saw his eyes first...moving very slowly...I knew it wasn't good. He was cut up bad. Has been engaged (caught on one hog) and got t-boned and rear ended by another. Life threatening cut was in his gut..low near his pride. I didn't have a vest on him but I don't think it would have mattered if I did.

We've never ran into a monster out there...never even saw a hog better than 150 but there was one tonite. Got him in the spotlight initially. He was a monster.

I cleaned Emmett up...sprayed his cuts...stapled him. On antibiotics and pain/anti-inflamatorys. Will keep the hydrotherapy and antibiotics/pain and swelling meds going. Just a waiting game now.

Some mistakes were made...don't think I'd feel any better if I tried to rationalize anything.

Really just rambling now. Vest or no vest...hell... It can go either way no matter what but I won't run without one again....gut cut or not.

MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »

Sorry about your dog. Fingers crossed he heals up nicely!

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »

Hate to hear it ended in a wreck. It wasn't a bad idea. I always run vest but u could have done it 100x and it not ended the way it did. Hope ur CD gets better and u can get that ol big boy on a grill.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
fonzie
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »

Hope your dog heals up good!! Rookie mistake never ever cut a bull dogs loose without a vest... I caught hogs around 120# with good cutters.... Just ain't worth it.... Lesson learned though....
Bonnie_Clyde
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 03:05:35 pm »

Hope your dog heals up qwickly. I run vest on everything but your spot on, it doesn't protect every part.
SaltyhoggerJr
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »

It was still fun, other than that stupid youngin of mine chasin deer. Hope Emmett gets to feelin better. I know be was hurtin last night. Hope to do it again soon.
hogdogger98
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »

Did u find Zeus
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 07:56:38 pm »

Yes...Zeua was fine.

Just got finished feeding....crazy.

I KNOW I'm not out of the woods yet but Emmett that tough SOB got up and walked out of the barrel to meet me. Ate about half his food.

BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 08:04:33 pm »

Yes...Zeua was fine.

Just got finished feeding....crazy.

I KNOW I'm not out of the woods yet but Emmett that tough SOB got up and walked out of the barrel to meet me. Ate about half his food.

If he's up moving and walking he oughta be fine.

To each his own with the vest deal, I won't make that a topic and hijack the thread, because I don't much use em, but I guarantee your bulldog learned a good lesson, and it doesn't take learn and they learn to work a hog to their advantage.
ChanceandAnita
Catch Dog

Catch-em All..

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 09:08:01 pm »

Hope Emmett , recovers quickly..
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 10:26:04 pm »

I'd imagine if he does make it....he's gonna be out for a WHILE. Lots of cuts to heal and that gut is gonna take the longest.

LTcaughthog
Alpha Dog

Philippians 4:13

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »

Hopefully he heals up nicely !
setxhogdogs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 11:16:07 pm »

I'd imagine if he does make it....he's gonna be out for a WHILE. Lots of cuts to heal and that gut is gonna take the longest.
Yeah that really stinks Kevin.... Those stomach cuts are bad especially if the stomach lining is compromised. Takes a while for that to heal properly! Hope he heals soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: