April 18, 2024, 06:56:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only cur dogs??  (Read 2356 times)
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:12 am »

Any one only run a gritty pack of curs, without a bulldog?
Dp 97
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:09 am »

Me and my dad's dogs are all rough just a few will have a good size pig caught but we always take one or two bulldogs just in case
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:10:16 am »

Get you a pair of catching curs to replace bulldogs. 

Before 93..... never heard of using a bulldog.  Curs did it all. 

With all these fighting lines mixed up with everything ....I will not own a pit on the place....most dont have any sense.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:55:28 am »

I ran the first 7 years with just curs , didn't need a bulldog .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:18 am »

I dont need a bulldog all my dogs canand have beena lead in
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:13:04 am »

All I run are curs. Just seeing who else hunted this way
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:42 pm »

I only have two female curs in work at the moment.  Caught nine pigs with those two dogs last saturday.  I did shoot one boar.  No need for a "catch dog" as you guys use them.  357 eats less than a bulldog...
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »

^Yessir I agree. I run what I consider "looser" dogs. Just one or two or even three they usually won't catch. When I run 5 or 6 on the ground at a time there isn't much they won't at least try to catch. What they can't/won't I have a .44 bulldog that never misses.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »

that's all I run, I do have 1 that's half bulldog and a son off her.  but my curs will bay a bad one alon, two there they are going to catch it.  anything 150ish or under one dog alone will catch.
Bonnie_Clyde
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »

I like it guys!!!!
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:35:28 pm »

I have a bulldog now but until recently all I had was ridge/pit and 2 redbone curs and a catahoula. All of them on the ground and let them hammer till it squels.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 10:02:21 pm »

With all these fighting lines mixed up with everything ....I will not own a pit on the place....most dont have any sense.
Do not agree with this. Bulldogs are some of the smartest dogs I have seen.

Lets go we burning daylight
LTcaughthog
Alpha Dog

Philippians 4:13

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:17:22 am »

X2
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:55:20 am »

Witnessed a few.......and I do mean very few that kept it together. But put stress or excitement on them......tend to loose their composer.

When friends of ours start to test one out... Call it taking them to their stupid place to see the actual demeanor.  Let the dog get extremely excited and wait for the side effects....ie......biting at other dogs nearby...catching wildly at anything in range, loss of self control all together. Witnessed it to many times for any type of comfort for me to own or operate one around kids, cows and family.

I know their are some die hard pit guys that will defend them to the end....no problem...completely understand .....but judgement around here is based on eyes....not ears.
Same goes for curs and any other breeds as well. But never have and never will own a full blood pit (Especially fighting bred)

As far as ability to suit the job of catchdogs......excellent ....but not worth the possible and probable repercussions.

Keep it simple .......An old beat up, Yeller cur dog.....that does it all.  LOL

Jmo for sake of conversation.  Azn
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 05:46:56 am »

Witnessed a few.......and I do mean very few that kept it together. But put stress or excitement on them......tend to loose their composer.

When friends of ours start to test one out... Call it taking them to their stupid place to see the actual demeanor.  Let the dog get extremely excited and wait for the side effects....ie......biting at other dogs nearby...catching wildly at anything in range, loss of self control all together. Witnessed it to many times for any type of comfort for me to own or operate one around kids, cows and family.

I know their are some die hard pit guys that will defend them to the end....no problem...completely understand .....but judgement around here is based on eyes....not ears.
Same goes for curs and any other breeds as well. But never have and never will own a full blood pit (Especially fighting bred)

As far as ability to suit the job of catchdogs......excellent ....but not worth the possible and probable repercussions.

I think its all on how they are raised and tended to. But JMO

Lets go we burning daylight
MakeEmSqueal863
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 06:41:32 am »

Everyone has their own opinion on the whole pit thing, I've been around plenty that I would have on my yard. But I still haven't come across one male pit that wouldn't try to fight one of my yella dogs. Not saying that it won't happen ofcourse, but IMO the ones I have seen seem to be more worried about fighting another dog then anything else. I guess it's because I'm a die hard cur only kinda guy lol but I think I rather keep my catchy cur dogs then worry about breaking up dog fights every other blink of the eye. ONLY MY OPINION
BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »

Ive had more dog fights out of my curs then I ever had out of my pits. Ive seen more curs start crap and asked for more then they could handle. The apbt is in it to win it. Just like any other bulldog breed. I love my curs, I love them rough. But ill always have a pit or two around.  I've got an old yella gyp that you can bet your right nut on she's gonna be the first to start chit if she takes notion to do so.

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 02:00:13 pm »

Ive had more dog fights out of my curs then I ever had out of my pits. Ive seen more curs start crap and asked for more then they could handle. The apbt is in it to win it. Just like any other bulldog breed. I love my curs, I love them rough. But ill always have a pit or two around.  I've got an old yella gyp that you can bet your right nut on she's gonna be the first to start chit if she takes notion to do so.
They start dog fights, but are cur dogs know for attacking humans? I'm not against pits but they are known for snapping and attacking humans. I know several people that had them indoors and was the best dog ever then one day they turn on them.

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

Those people that owned them for some time and then got attacked by them were never the alpha in the mix. They shouldn't own a poodle let alone a bulldog.
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 03:52:11 pm »

My rule of thumb is that a dog should be smarter than the food it eats...heavy bred "bull" dgs are tough enought no question no brains.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: