March 28, 2024, 06:06:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running with just a catch dog?  (Read 836 times)
w00dy
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:46:39 am »

I have a AB that I was going to use as a catch dog. Can I just run solo with him? Or should I bring a bay dog Undecided? Over here in Florida along the river we have numerous little islands (2mi x 1/2 to 2 mi) and they are littered with hogs. So finding them is not difficult. Has anybody ever ran with just a catch dog? And is it a viable solution? I have on order a cut vest/collar so my bulldog will be protected.

Fear not the man who practices 1000 kicks 1 time. Fear the man who practices 1 kick 1000 times.

-Bruce Lee
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:28:29 am »

If you can get to him quick you may be ok but if he's caught on a biggun for awhile he may take a beating without any help.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »

or catch in a sounder and the rest the hogs maul it  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Jimt3
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »

^^ I'm with these guys. He'll be better protected with a second dog. Even another catch dog. But at least with a bay dog you can hear em and know where to run.
TChunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

Ive ran straight catch dogs multiple times...good for if you really know your land your hunting and have more than 1 or 2 on the ground. I usually use 3 MAYBE 4 if im going to use my bulldogs...you do have to remember the risks with it though.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »

Back when we first started out, we only ran one bulldog. He'd range out a bit, had a real good nose on him, and when he got on one, he'd bark once maybe twice, and then came the squealin. We got lucky I guess, he never had serious injuries. I guess the area you plan to hunt would play a factor in that decision, like others have already mentioned.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:30:50 pm »

You will be fine. When I hunt solo I take one dog with me. It's better if you have a Garmin you can get to them faster & know when they are caught. A good hog usually won't make a sound. Just hear bushes shakin around when you get to them Shocked.

Smiling like a killer
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:46 am »

I wouldn't take just one dog to the river. The river has got some mean a** hogs. I think no matter what you should have two or more dogs. Rather have em nd not need them then need them & not have em.
w00dy
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 09:10:14 am »

Thanks for the info guys. This weekend I am out on the island doing small game hunting. So I will see the tracks and hopefully see the size of the hogs out there to get a better idea.

Fear not the man who practices 1000 kicks 1 time. Fear the man who practices 1 kick 1000 times.

-Bruce Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: