April 25, 2024, 05:43:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: does it hurt a dog to be fixed
yes - 1 (12.5%)
no - 7 (87.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does spading/neutering help or ruin a hog dog?  (Read 2441 times)
boarwild
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2009, 05:35:34 pm »

I am just getting my hog dog pack up and running.  have been hunting for a long time, but never owned my own.  I already have to male dogs, and it seems with my experience sometimes the male dogs spend a little to much time messing with the female dogs at least until they realize she is or isn't in heat.  I did not want to get a female dog for that reason, as well as i don't want to deal with puppies, but my question is would it hurt a bitch to get spaded (spelling?) as far as how well she will hunt?  I have gotten mixed answers from the people i hunt with.  Thanks in advance for everyones responses. 

TDHA BOD
www.tdha.org

Get'em boys
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:54:04 pm »

Got a buddy that has a big 7 year old neutered cur that's a hog finding fool. Unless its over 150lbs and salty he will just catch it and hold it by himself till we get there . Hunted with another man years ago that had a neutered plott hound that was just hell on wheels when it came to finding hogs! They were and are good hog dogs but I never got to see them in action before they were changed out. The plott hound owner said his dog got even better after he was neutered.

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
lonewolf
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:07:16 pm »

I've got two neutered males and one spayed female they all work great!

Fear is only a word in the mind of the weak!
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:29:41 pm »

This Topic was discussed in detail a few months back, do  "search" and read what has alreasdy been written should offer yopu some very good input to make up your mind. I am persoanly for altering both males and females that will be hunted, makes for more time hunting and less time sniffing butt

a-khunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »

have a 2 1/2yr old big cur male that had real bad dog aggression.  we neutered him about 3 months ago and he is like a brand new dog.  no more dog aggression and gets out and hunts more now.  without his manhood, hes all business.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: