March 28, 2024, 11:44:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Seizures  (Read 1193 times)
POTTER
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:59 pm »

I was wondering if any of yall ever had this seizure problem with a dog. This has happened to me twice with one of my dogs. The first time it happened I let my dogs out on track and about five minutes later i felt something shaking at my feet and my dog was having a seizure. I thought he was having a heat stroke so i took all of his gear off and poured bottled water on him. The temperature at the time was about 75 degrees that night. He seemed to recover from that episode. Then I was hunting Saturday morning the temp. was about 70 degrees and all he had on was a tracking collar and did it again, having a seizure for about a minute then got up and hunted the rest of the morning like nothing happened. Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks
McGrathCurs
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:01:57 pm »

my black dog sadie has seizures started a few years ago, like you said felt something shaking under my feet and it was her tryin to get as close as she could to me. I could tell she was freaked out and didnt know what was happining to her. my mothers golden retriver also has them, and the vet prescribs him phenobarbatal (sp). I give this to my dog now once a day and she has not had a seizure in a while.
David

HUNT EM UP
McGrath Taxidermy
210-215-5584
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:26:17 am »

Max and Captain have both had seizures. Not anymore. The good old country vet (Dr. Kainer) was good enough to let me know that even though you worm regular sometimes you can still get a worm infestation.

He said Whip worms can cause seizures, we wormed with Panacure for the 3-4 days in a row as he reccomended and have not ever had another seizure since. This was the cheapest route to try and the easiest on the dog, and it worked.

I am sure some vets can mis-diagnose things, at times but I am positive alot of vets want to sell you the most expensive "Cure" they can, usually doing all kinds of blood work-ups and other tests to determine cause, I can't say your dog does not have neuro logical problems, but I have a hard time trusting a vet that wants to put a dog on a lifelong daily medcation with barbitutes or anything that will be hard on a dogs system

POTTER
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:24:55 pm »

Thanks for the help McGrath Curs and Ugly Dog. I will try the panacure first and if this doesnt fix the problem i will try the phenobarbata. Thanks Again
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:18:35 pm »

after you try panacure if needed get your dog adjusted by a chiropractor or a vet that will do it there are more than you think- and get the dog basic minerals. i have cured hundreds of seizures in kids like this-never a dog though but it should transfer and work the same. phenobarbotal is a joke, like most life long meds.  If that doesnt work let me know and i will get you some specific instructions. just my .02
BarrNinja
Hog Doom

When the tailgate drops the excuses usually start!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:54:19 pm »

Max and Captain have both had seizures. Not anymore. The good old country vet (Dr. Kainer) was good enough to let me know that even though you worm regular sometimes you can still get a worm infestation.

He said Whip worms can cause seizures, we wormed with Panacure for the 3-4 days in a row as he reccomended and have not ever had another seizure since. This was the cheapest route to try and the easiest on the dog, and it worked.

I am sure some vets can mis-diagnose things, at times but I am positive alot of vets want to sell you the most expensive "Cure" they can, usually doing all kinds of blood work-ups and other tests to determine cause, I can't say your dog does not have neuro logical problems, but I have a hard time trusting a vet that wants to put a dog on a lifelong daily medcation with barbitutes or anything that will be hard on a dogs system

You are exactly right uglydog. Every time I have seen this happen it was whip worms except one and that dog had heart worms. 
I share the same opinion as you do about most vets! So dont get me started on them! lol Evil

"No man should be allowed to be President who does not understand hogs." - President Harry Truman

“I like hogs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Hogs treat us as equals” - Sir Winston Churchill
johnf
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:06:31 pm »

growing up we had a dog that got kicked in the head by a mule and after that he would have seizures from time to time .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: