March 28, 2024, 04:04:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 week old pups losing hair  (Read 720 times)
Jaren10
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:16 pm »

i was looking at the litter and noticed that most of the pups are starting to lose hair in small clumps? i noticed that they have fleas also and im going to treat that problem but does anybody know what the hair loss could be from? I wouldnt think it could be any kind of mange because the gyp or any other dogs on my yard are losing hair. could it be that they were on blankets and they were laying in the damp blankets before i changed the bedding?

Hard work pays off boys!
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:50:41 pm »

yes , most likely urine soaked blanket . I never put any kind of bedding in the whelping box . just a dry floor , the gyp will and is able to keep the floor clean . if it's cold out I use a brooder lamp with just a 100wt bulb in it  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:34:33 pm »

yes , most likely urine soaked blanket . I never put any kind of bedding in the whelping box . just a dry floor , the gyp will and is able to keep the floor clean . if it's cold out I use a brooder lamp with just a 100wt bulb in it  .
X2

Lets go we burning daylight
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:40:55 pm »

Yep. Fresh beding for sure . Give them pups a bath with dawn dish soap. Will clean em up and kill the fleas also. Dry em off good and keep em warm

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
Jaren10
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:04:18 pm »

thanks for the replies! what kind of whelping box do you have?

Hard work pays off boys!
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:44 am »

mine is a big 4 x 3 box with a slant tin roof setting about 10'' off the ground , with puppy rails along the inside . raised many a pup outside in all kinds of weather . when the gyp is due I will staple a piece of burlap to the bottom just for traction for her and the pups after she has given birth and all is calm I remove the burlap . in winter just a hundred watt bulb gives enough heat for the pups . and in the summer I have a section of wall in the back that I remove and place a fan .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
craig
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »

my ol' country dogs have there pups in a 4x4 plywood bottom box with 2x10 sides and staw hay in the bottom. when them pups start crawling i put another 2x10 on keep em from crawling out, when they get big enough to get out of that i take the top board off so they can come and go. never had any problems. heat lamp if its cold.     

www.craigloftintrailersales.com
Craig Loftin
918-857-0464
Tahlequah,Oklahoma
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: