April 16, 2024, 05:46:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rooster  (Read 2244 times)
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:37 pm »

This is the little Misery gyp running round the trailer.  The Yellow dog is off of Cracker x Bell the Lacy gyp.  He is hot wired brother.  Misery getting big and once you put her in the trailer she will bay her butt off .  Both males off of Cracker I kept will hit straight ear every time ,  so for the females are ruff but not as catchy .  Yet LOL .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:04:59 pm »

How old are those pups?
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:18 pm »

The Yellow dog is about 8 months are so .  The one from Rooster I guess is about 5-6 months somwere in there Rooster can tell you.

Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:23:58 pm »

Lookin good Mr Jimmy. I imagine once she gets a taste then she will get rougher. That's how her mammy was, and her mammy is rougher than her daddy. Yep Taz, she is 6 months. I'll try to get some pics or video of her brother, that hammerhead bays everything he comes across.

Master Gator
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:21:13 pm »

This is her brother Deets. I think he is gonna be fairly stout. Already as big as his daddy.

Master Gator
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »

Man they look like identical twins .  He is a clone of her and she is a clone of him not much difference in size head anything .  She is gonna be stout just like him .  When you pick her up her weight is way heavier than you think just looking at her.

TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »

Nice looking Rooster. How much do you think he weighs? My pup from my last litter just turned 10mo old and he is 70lbs, long and leggy! I am real pleased with the cross of Zipper/Fancy that I am going to do it again real soon! Early starters, athletic, good noses, and rough!

I just received a picture of one of the female pups from the litter and she is really nice looking as well. She is being used for cattle work and doing great!
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:51:13 am »

He is about 50lbs I guess. He is not gonna be that big, just solid. Ya 70 is a big sized cur

Master Gator
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:39 am »

Not to high jack the post THD, but I extremely interested in Fl Cur dogs.

Roster the last cross I did made the dogs bigger then my dogs usually are. Males are usually 60-65lbs and the gyps are 50-55lbs. I was wanting to increase the size and leg of my dogs and it looks to have happened.

I have talked to some of your relatives as well as the Campbell family who also have bred and raised Blk and Tan Fl Curs. Their family has traded back and forth with your family. From what I have found out your relitives dogs back when my friend Jimmy Messick was getting dogs from your them over 55yrs ago they where pretty big. His father drove a feed truck that delivered to your past relatives ranches and would let Jimmy pick a pup every once in awhile from their litters. Jimmy said he was only aloud to take the smaller (runt) pups because your relatives wanted the bigger dogs to handle the rough cattle better. Just what I was told.

Jimmy helped Morgan Rogers develope the Morgan line of Florida Curs. Jimmy had the Partin/Peeples and Morgan had a  leopard Fl Cur line. When they crossed their dogs the off springs where huge , Males 90-100lbs and females 75-85lbs!

Just curious to hear from you what you saw and heard from your uncles and granddad?? Thanks.
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:29 pm »

I guess it's just personal preference. I'm not biased towards a size of a dog. A couple of the best gyps I had were about 40 lbs and they could handle about anything.  My dad kept a runt gyp that was crazy good at 35 lbs. I never seen a hog or cow escape her. He also had a big yeller dog that was 75 lbs that loved to catch bad bulls but that's about all he was good for. I don't remember hearing about the old dogs being that big and some of the old pictures I've seen they all looked pretty average like 40-50 for gyps and 50-60 for dogs. The mammy to these pups is good size about 65 lbs with a lot of leg. she goes back to a big yeller dog of my dads. My uncle Mikes old Gator dog was decent size but not huge. Another thing I've noticed is the heads on my family's dogs aren't nearly as big as some of the other family's dogs. Size dont matter too much to me, just as long as they have the desire to work. Here is a picture of my Grandaddy hog hunting back in 68 or 69 and as you can see his dogs weren't that big

Master Gator
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »

The dogs I got from my crosses .  I got a variety .  They going to range from about 35 lbs to 65 lb is my thinking just looking at them now .

TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 07:13:42 pm »

Thanks for the info. Was not saying big or small was any better then the other. Was saying I was told there were some big Partin Curs back 50-60yrs ago. There is a guy in N Florida who says he has some original Partin Curs from back in the 60's that are brindle in color. I have never seen that in Florida Curs.

My personal preference is in 65-70lb males and 50-55lb females, but what's most important are their athletic ability, nose, brains, and grit!! Again thanks for the info!

TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:50 pm »

Rooster,  I have noticed on the older type of dogs like in the pic up there the black and tans that the tan almost seems a blond color not as dark as some I have seen.   This dog of mine is a light, light almost most blond color .  Some of the crosses I have made I got a few blondy tans and then some are the darker color tan .  Is there any thing to that are just me thinking to much ?

Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »

Your right, a lot of them were black and silver. Usually when they cross with a yellow dog the pups will come out with a darker tan. The daddy to these pups goes back to the breeding of the last yellow dog my Grandaddy had and the last black and silver gyp my great uncle had. Most came out Black and Tan. On the other hand my gyp is out of a yellow dog of mine and a black and silver gyp of my cousins. All those pups came out yellow. My last few litters had about 50/50

Master Gator
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 08:36:07 pm »

Taz I worked and hunted across a big portion of the state and seen lots of different colors and sizes of dogs but I don't think I ever seen any brindle curs down there. Maybe a brindle bulldog every once in a while. That doesn't mean that there are not any, I've just never seen or heard it. In fact the first brindle cur I've ever seen is when I moved to TX 4 yrs ago.

Master Gator
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 09:26:11 pm »

Rooster thats a dang good lookin dog you have, and i dont think id mind too much havin your grand daddy's hod dog in my yard  Grin

You get any bob tailed dogs in your litters?
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »

^x2 Rooster your Deets dog is sure a good looking dog, like the name too.
Rooster79
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 08:49:26 am »

Thanks fellas. Deets is a pretty cool cat. Laid back, unlike his sisters who are wired 220. No I haven't had any bobs in the last few breedings, but the potential is there.

Master Gator
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 08:58:56 am »

That's how my male and female pup outta my last litter are.  The female is so high strung it drives me nutts!  The male on the other hand is a laid back as they come.
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 11:38:28 am »

THD. I seen the same thing in my last breeding. Zipper is Blk and Silver and my Fancy dogs parents were red and tan. Fancy is a dark tan ring neck dog and all the pups came out identical,Blk and Tan.

Rooster. I agree with you on the brimdle dogs. Mtn Curs, Kemmer Curs and Plotts are what I have seen as brindle. I see in your granddads picture a saddleback cur. Head shape alittle different then the other dogs. All look nice!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: