April 27, 2024, 08:25:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1394 times)
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:47:05 pm »

Greetings. New here. Would like to get into hog catching. Enjoying all the hours of reading and research. Own one gamebred pit. Hoping he learns to catch. Happy 2014!!
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:48:38 pm »

Welcome...where bouts you located?

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:30:21 am »

Thanks. Amarillo, TX.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:14:31 am »

I'm sure there are at least a couple doggers up there somewhere you can hook up with. Does your bulldog have manners around other dogs?  Grin

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:48 am »

There's some big stout SOB's in that country

Seth Gillespie
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:00:26 pm »

He's ok around other dogs unless he's challenged. Yes, some big boys around here.
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:23:55 pm »

I've owned, bred, showed and judged these ADBA dogs for 35 yrs and tried a couple of them as catch dogs in the last couple yrs. A couple things that were different than other catch dogs. Mine were not ear dogs, with enuf work you might make ear dogs but mine did not really go to the ear. The other thing was I did not have enuf handle to stop one if the bay broke, they were gonna go till they caught something. I won't turn another one with that drive loose without a shock collar to get there attention. That being said if you have the help of good hogdoggers and some patience I believe you can make a gamebred dog into a catchdog but I got a APBT pup that has been linebred  for catchwork for 10 or 12 generations. These are almost automatic on the ear and less dog aggression. They look just like a gamebred dog but run 65 to 90 lbs. I may cross some of my stuff in but at my age I'm not gonna try breed something that already is there. Good luck with this!
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:58:41 am »

I've owned, bred, showed and judged these ADBA dogs for 35 yrs and tried a couple of them as catch dogs in the last couple yrs. A couple things that were different than other catch dogs. Mine were not ear dogs, with enuf work you might make ear dogs but mine did not really go to the ear. The other thing was I did not have enuf handle to stop one if the bay broke, they were gonna go till they caught something. I won't turn another one with that drive loose without a shock collar to get there attention. That being said if you have the help of good hogdoggers and some patience I believe you can make a gamebred dog into a catchdog but I got a APBT pup that has been linebred  for catchwork for 10 or 12 generations. These are almost automatic on the ear and less dog aggression. They look just like a gamebred dog but run 65 to 90 lbs. I may cross some of my stuff in but at my age I'm not gonna try breed something that already is there. Good luck with this!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have tons of experience with apbt's. I'll keep that in mind about the shock collar. Will have to see what happens as we dive into this. What line are these bigger ones you are working with?
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:42 am »

They are not from any named line, my buddy T-dog started out with a good big dog down from Texas Louisiana dogs including Freemans Preacher and many lesser known dogs 20 yrs ago and just kept breeding for ability to learn and catch.
Steeldog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:31:37 pm »

They are not from any named line, my buddy T-dog started out with a good big dog down from Texas Louisiana dogs including Freemans Preacher and many lesser known dogs 20 yrs ago and just kept breeding for ability to learn and catch.

Nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: