April 29, 2024, 08:49:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strait Catch Yellow Black Mouths. (Who is interested)?  (Read 21356 times)
JUNIOR SEFFERN
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 09:26:24 pm »

My opinion is worth a fart in a whirlwind, so here goes.
Yellow-curdom doesn't need any more no hunting yellow curs in it, the peanut gallery keeps the world stocked with over gritty no hunting yeller dogs as is.

There are well behaved, trustworthy bulldogs who don't pull, don't whine, and can do anything you'll accomplish with this experiment (maybe better  Wink laugh ) already in existence.

For the life of me I don't understand what anyone would want with cur dogs of any color that don't hunt? Too many of those already.

X2!! I don't see the point, there are plenty of ruff dogs that will hunt out and find/catch their own to waste years of breeding to raise a strain a yellow curs that will not hunt. You may have to spend some money but if you deal with the right people and do your research you can get what you want but have some hunt to them also. You said you have 6 of these no hunting catch dogs?? That blows my mind. I couldn't afford to feed dogs that didn't hunt. I have 4 cur dogs and one litter I'm raising right now. With the 4 grown curs i have right now I catch 150+ hogs per year on a state contract I have. I hunt 33,000 acres by myself with one helper and we produce that much pork. Most of the time we run only 2 dogs at a time.

Not putting your thinking down by no means just putting it out there that you can catch hogs (rank ones too) with only a couple dogs and don't really need to have or breed dogs like that. It may just be what you want to do....idk jmo it would be a wast of time. I would consider saving the money you would invest in those litters and try to get you hands on a pup from a good line that do it all and then raise some litters out of that and cull the non hunting pot lickers!
ironheadknls21
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:45 pm »

will just one of them catch a 300 pd. boar by itsself with no bark or back up? This is my concern but don't get me wrong always wanted a couple straight catch curs
This is my catch dog and YBM can vouch for him....

This is the first big hog he got tested on. weighed 294 and he was caught solo. there were 4 rough dogs backed up baying when we got there..he took some pretty good cuts and never lost his grip..I've never had him bark at one off the snap...

He's been on plenty since and i'll run in behind him any day of the week..He has a son following in his foot steps pretty good so far....
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 09:43:23 pm »

I don't think there is anything wrong with having two lines of dogs from the one breed.  Kelpies that work shhep in the yards as opposed to kelpies that work sheep in the paddock for example.  Both are good dogs.

Also a dogs ability to catch and hold big boars without getting hurt (and to release when told) is a trait we try and select for here.  Not many people here have a lot of time for pits for the reasons mentioned (there are some exceptions, but not many).  Me I like my dogs to have a higher IQ than the food they eat.
laurendaniel1995
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 10:13:28 pm »

Ill vouch for ol gumbo,  pete, and crow have been at bays with them and have personally broke them off. Trust me these dogs lock and u are reaching for a break stick to break them! Had crow and gumbo on one thT went 260 rough boy with some dog killers and they were both locked on a ear! No back up or bark in these yella suicide dogs!
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:09 pm »

Gonna try and reply to T-Bob post. Cause I believe you have an excellent point that has and does weigh on our mind.

The over dilution of YBM into public circulation that have decreased hunting abilities.
First off I will say that I am a obsessive YBM fan.....and Critic as well. Only way to be fair to a worthwhile breeding program is be your own worst enemy. (Keeps yourself honest)

Only way I  can justify experimenting for a type dog that carries half traits that I consider having dead in consequences .....is to look at it in a completely different category than my baydogs.  Completely happy with them...not interested in tampering or crossing.

But the aspect we are considering would be the same as category as bull dogs.. Don't see very many folks attempting to improve their hunting abilities ...just improvement on their catching ability.   Same Same. Just gotta get away with automatic association of improvement on hunting and hone in on catching.

Now that being said......We still have the issue that your point drives home.

As long as we keep these type dogs internally....we maintain the control to cull, and strategically make breedings without jeopardizing our YBM that we hunt.

As soon as they go out to others......that control is completely gone and runs the high possibility of what I fear and dread most.......more dilution of the breed that has already suffered enough from marketing and low breeding standards and maintenance.

A quick but costly idea would be to only send out neutered or spayed dogs.  
This type of dog I actually would not mind sharing with others that are like minded since it truly isn't our line dogs but just a possible solution for those of us that want to step away from certain breeds and maintain a certain level of functional catching power.  

The area we live in is completely different from other parts of Texas and other States.
I do not and will not have my longer range strike dogs become rough.

Sorry boys.....but have buried to many talented strike dogs that made that mistake only once.
So far this combo in our area have really impressed us for the timefame we have been fooling with it.

But as all experiments .......Gotta weigh the ultimate outcome and clean out the bugs..

Thanks again for the ideas gents.
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:12 pm »

Good post YBM

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 10:34:53 pm »

Good post YBM

Hahaha..  Figured you would have shut it down by now brotha....from all my anti-non Yeller slangism...Hehehe laugh
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »

Yellowblackmask, Are the dogs you have related to each other? Do they come from dogs that are like them, or are they individuals that happened to be that way from lines that in general were not that way?
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:32 pm »

Bob.

Every dog we currently have on this project are unrelated except one father son combo that Ironheadknls21 has.

Most of their backgrounds are similar in gritty based Yeller dogs but we tried to pick the roughest that just didn't give a flip. 
That specific trait is what we are after to attempt to build and tweak into something a little cleaner, trustworthy and functional.
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 11:17:06 pm »

Thanks yellowblackmask.
Ironhead, what does that dog weigh?
Txhogman22
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 11:28:09 pm »

If a BMC has the same grit as a bull dog. I'm interested.  I run a BMC that is gritty and will catch anything under 200, but I haven't seen him really tested by anything over that.  He winds doesn't track, but is at every bay.  Has been since about 7months.  We run several small tracts and most all our dogs must be gritty enough to stop a hog before they're out of the field and into the neighboring property.  To have a BMC straight catch amongst the strike dog would be ideal for my type of hunting.
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 11:33:54 pm »

Yellowblackmaask, Do you know of many of what you call poacher style dogs in east texas?
I had some many years ago, they they threw b&t and leps in the same litter. Got them from a man named Lewis Redd.
wildchild
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:26 pm »

I wouldn't mine having a few in the near future. i dnt have a full pit on my yard all my catch dogs are half pit half cur but a ful cur would be nice to have

Rocking D Kennels
Double K Kennels
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43:56 pm »

I don't like pits at the house, just don't trust em. Been looking for a straight catch yella dog

Evidently you have never had a good one then....Pitbulls who know what to catch and what not to that aren't aggressive in any kind of way do exist...

I still haven't heard of a cur dog killing anybody...not worried about myself. I have been around plenty of good pits I would sleep beside. Pretty sure 99% of the owners of pits that attacked kids never thought there dogs were aggressive. And I wouldn't trust one around my wife. But that's not what this thread is about.

Ryan Karl
254-231-6229
Milano, Tx

Grnitech Grch "PR" Nolan Creek Pride's Maverick HTX 3
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 11:44:16 pm »

Yellowblackmaask, Do you know of many of what you call poacher style dogs in east texas?
I had some many years ago, they they threw b&t and leps in the same litter. Got them from a man named Lewis Redd.

Could that be Lewis Ross?

There are still plenty around here. But as everything else. They are typically in small pockets or held as individual dogs that are remnants from the old bloodlines that were prominent 30 plus years ago.  Lots of folks refer to these type dogs by other names...Poacher dogs are what I grew up knowing the description of their hunting style.

Hence......You could slip into small tracts of land and anything they found would be closeby and smoked where it was found.
You could have the hog caught..tied and drug out before the Game Warden showed.. Grin
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »

Lol I am familiar with the concept.
No I have met Lewis Ross. I have an interest in this thread for several different reasons. I have been kicking around the idea of some cur in police/bite type dogs for a long time but don't think I have found the right ones. Also if I ever get back into hogdogs I think I would want short range wind/catch type dogs.
Indian Valley Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:04 am »

Bobdog, you might be talking about Lewis Redd from Redd Town/Pollok, havent talked to him in 3 or 4 years, ran into him while working some young dogs at my place one day. He was surveying a neighboring property and we talked for a while. He only lived a mile or 2 from me back then and I recall always see some bmc's at his place. I could probably track down some contact info if your intetested.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 07:09:34 am »

YBM, when I decided to type out a response I deleted it several times and that's what I settled on, but all the points you just made are exactly what I was gonna type, but thought it may come across rudely. Good deal man.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
DWEST
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:58 am »

I would love to see the progression of this little project.  Dont think many have "bred" for it.  Just took a select few out of their rough stock, and used them as "catch dogs".  The only downfall I could see is, it might take 3-4 years (or more) to find out that a dog is a cull.  The right hog could bring the cur out in your catch dog.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
mtarrant23
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 09:44:52 am »

I think it is a great concept i used to hunt with a boy who had leapord dog like that man he was a goodun not to mention if we ever have to start having to carry insurance to keep these pits at our house like they say we will one day you will be ahead of the system
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: