April 16, 2024, 05:35:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swollen ears???  (Read 1423 times)
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:59:10 am »

My 8 y/o lab has both ears that are swollen. It starts half way of the ear and goes towards the tips. Both of them. She shakes her head more then normal as well. Could it be mites that are causeing her to shake the head that in returns is brusieing them cause them to swell up?
Thanks.
Mike

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:28:15 pm »

I had this happen to my Shepherd/Lab and after I put some ear mite drops it went away. I actually was contemplating lancing or poking her ear to try and drain it but the drops worked fine!

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:42:52 am »

ear mites.  a few drops and fold the ear over and massage it in.  try to keep the dog from shaking it's head for a bit after you apply the medicine.  

it shouldn't take long to see the results maybe just a couple days.
sfboarbuster
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »

My mom has a weimereiner with the same thing, it was ear mites but his ear is still like a balloon and its been over a month.

John Esker
dabutcher
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:05:53 pm »

My mom has a weimereiner with the same thing, it was ear mites but his ear is still like a balloon and its been over a month.

i was referring to the head shaking.  depends on how raw the ear got to determine how long it's gonna take to get back to normal.  my cousins lab would paw at his ear til it got to be real bad.  it took forever for it to heal up back to normal.  he does a little preventative every 3-4 weeks.
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:18:46 am »

Couple drops of Ivomec in each ear once a week for three-four weeks.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:04 pm »

put .5cc of ivermec in each ear saturday. Dexamethsone 3cc same day,2cc on sunday. Ears back to normal. No more shaking. I will do the ivermec drops for the next month or so. Thanks for the input. Also heard that Nu-Stock works good on mites too.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
johnf
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »

i always heard to pour a little brake fluid in and it would clear up
TinyTexasCowgirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:37 pm »

It very well could prolly have started out as mites, but due to the head shaking, her ears very well may have hematomas in them. Your best bet is to either take her to the vet and have them removed, or do it yourself, if you are interested in doing it yourself let me know, and I can tell you how... but it's a long process and I don't really want to type it all out if your not going to use it...

Philippians 4:6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: