April 19, 2024, 01:21:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Some Nose  (Read 586 times)
shawn
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:02:11 pm »

Went hunting all weekend, didnt catch zip, zero, shut out, we suck, thoughts of quitting this number 2 and finding a new hobby going threw my head, lol.

Last night, went out to a small place where some hogs had been seen, took Doofus, RIP and Jasmine, one mutt/cur mix and a couple american bulldogs, all tried their hardest, hunted hard, but came up empty, found out why, when Daniel was leaving he saw a group of 10 or more by the exit ramp heading back onto the interstate.. Shocked. Kind of glad they dont have the kind of nose or bottom to find a group by the road like that, but then again we wouldnt have took a dog of that kind of range and caliber to a small place like that, especially near the interstate.

Today was a pure mess led by a trail barker (god I hate those types of dogs), love their noses and hunt, but the trail barking pushes pigs threw East Texas brush faster than a bullet. Kinda hard to find a dog with that kind of nose and hunt that isn't a hound, had one, but he's road kill now so it looks like it's gonna be a long ass year until some pups and puppies we have grow up and hopefully turn out like we want, because I'm threw trying other peoples culls..

Guess I'll read about all yalls catches because I won't be doing much this year. lol

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:42:05 pm by Mike » Logged

sm159144
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:09 pm »

I guess like names hunt alike. I can't seem to find a cheaper dog that will get out there and put a nose on em. My couple dogs have real hot noses.  I don't know what to do

Southern Bred Hog Doggin. Go teeth or go home.
shawn
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:37:20 pm »

Same thing here,  all our dogs stay busy, but about  all are hot nosed, great help dogs or catch dogs that find every once in awile. I do have as much fun hunting with them on dry runs as long hunts with a lot of pork, so that's all that matters to me, I'm doing this to get out of the house, bs with buds and watch dogs hunt.

Days like today are frustrating though, I hate long races with nothing in the end, something I'm not used to, or wasn't for the past year anyway. I can see a pack of hounds being awesome in more wide open spaces, but here? I have yet to see it work with much success.

We do have some pups from Buster (Rip, damn trucks) and a Jagd who is almost old enough to start, so the future is hopeful.

sm159144
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:41:05 pm »

I'm trying to get a pack started just havin a hard time staying busy and working. Money supports this sport no doubt. Hot noses are good tho. That way when they get on one you don't have to run too far at all. (if you have one that'll stop em)

Southern Bred Hog Doggin. Go teeth or go home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: