April 29, 2024, 04:53:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training a catch dog  (Read 3420 times)
hatchet10
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »

Bo, someone here might know some tricks on how to get a dog to catch exactly the way you want it. I normally start working my pups when they first get their balance on about a 50 lb fresh hog. I'll take a younger dog about 5 months with some weight on him that will catch and put the pup with him in a circle pin. The older pup trains my smaller pup. I do the same type of thing with my strike dogs. What I've noticed, if i have a older pup that will catch on the ear, the small pup will also try to mimic the older pup. I am never real picky where they catch at the same time though. I think like it was earlier stated also, the dog will want to catch where he feels comfortable catching. I have 8 running catch dogs. I somewhat disagree with the if the dog wont catch, the dog wont catch statement. I spend the least amount of money on purchasing dogs as possible. My dogs came from pounds, the side of the road, and dogs non hog hunters just wanted to get rid of. I got a cur/Bulldog mix from a guy that had it for a family pet and it was too rough with his kids. The first hunt, the rest of my dogs caught a hog, it didn't even bark at the hog. By hunt 3 on a hog, she started baying. By hunt 7 on a hog she was full out catching. I use my dogs to train my new dogs if I need another one. I think a lot of it has to do with pack structure. I don't kennel my dogs either. The lead dog of the pack will set guidelines for the younger dogs. My dogs are not only expected to work and catch a hog for me but are also pressured by my lead dogs. Just like in the wild, a dog that doesn't contribute to the pack gets ran off. If you have males and females, they both have their own separate pecking order. By keeping my dogs together and not chained or kenneled, you can notice who gets the first eating rights and things like that. I only kennel an experienced strike dog up with another pup that has a good nose. For a couple of weeks. Just so the pup will run with and get trained by a dog that is striking. Similar to the way I do my meat head catch dogs without noses. I thought your video was great. Good thing they haven't seen my videos with 8 RCD's on a hog.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: