April 19, 2024, 03:21:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: catahoula americanbulldog anyone using them?  (Read 3181 times)
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:02 pm »

hi scott, it sure wasnt funny the night he decided to act like his mama,lol.we bayed up in a vineyard and turned loose gunny / the ab cat (who was about 85 lbs) and my jack dog who was only about 53 lbs.  of course when the bulldogs hit we could tell it was a good one so  pat and i took off in a hurry. pat go there first and then yelled oh hell and then help. he had got there and they had a big boy caught and as pat went to leg him gunny let go and went to bayin and pat almost got hit in the belly as the hog started spinnin  circles with jack just danglin in the air off a ear.soon as he slowed down pat and i rushed  in and grabbed both hind legs and got it all under cotrol. with gunny it was either straight up catch or straight up bay from that night on.
Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »

Oh wow... I couldn't run behind anything that's wishy washy like that.  Or at least bring another bigger dog that will stay caught every time. You guys took some chances...lol
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 12:03:31 am »

james, you have to remember that not everyone hunts bulldogs,lol.for many yrs we caught and stuck almost everything  we struck but did have to shoot some. and we never had a turn in catchdog/ bulldog. and also that dog had never done that till that time. even as clumsy as i am i have hand caught hogs when they werent caught good by the dogs but basically fighting. so once gunny started that stuff he just became a dog that we would cut loose once the dogs acted piggy. basically what these guys today call a runnin catchdog.
swine dogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 02:09:57 am »

Here's Shiloh
Crib
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 08:54:45 am »

james, you have to remember that not everyone hunts bulldogs,lol.for many yrs we caught and stuck almost everything  we struck but did have to shoot some. and we never had a turn in catchdog/ bulldog. and also that dog had never done that till that time. even as clumsy as i am i have hand caught hogs when they werent caught good by the dogs but basically fighting. so once gunny started that stuff he just became a dog that we would cut loose once the dogs acted piggy. basically what these guys today call a runnin catchdog.

LOL...I know people pretty much try whatever for catchdogs. You know me Gary, I understand things through "structure". The dog was there to be a catchdog, you only had a jagd otherwise right? He didn't catch/stay caught. Now to be used as an RCD wouldn't that be worse? It takes longer to get to the dogs so if he is not stayin caught how does that stop the hog from cuttin up the other dogs and/or walkin on them?
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 02:33:56 pm »

rats not jaags,lol. but we had other dogs too at that time that most werent ruff all depended on what dogs we had.  actually runnin gunny loose didnt get as may dogs hurt as it does if we are runnin ruff dogs that will fight a hog and at times try to catch. from all ive seen , dogs that bay and bulldogs get cut up a ton less than ruff dogs that will fight a hog. and gunny belonged to pat so he wasnt a set part of deans pack. but pat did pretty well on his own when he hunted  his rat fritz, gunny and then turned in his pure ab to them two
S_J_KENNELS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »

but at times he would remember who his mama was and just go to straight bayin.

lol

Scott you hunted behind the swiss cheeses and Patch the dogs I am talking about.

Yep I sure miss them old dogs. Wished I had 100 like them still. Blood lines are gone though due to my stupidity and not breeding them more. Or selling the pups due to the demand for them at the time and not keeping any for myself  Embarrassed

Yep, they were rough as a cobb. I just thought the way Gary worded his response was funny.

Shane
Dino1
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 08:36:31 pm »

I never owned one, but my buddy in south Georgia told me that back when he owned catch dogs (he only has Plotts now) all he used as bulldog/catahoula crosses. I think there is some registry that actually registers them as a breed now and calls them Catahoula Bulldogs. Years ago, Howard Carnathan started fooling around with that mix but I think he eventually went back to BMCs. For some reason, he did advertise his BMC foundation dog, Bruno, as a Catahoula Bulldog one time. I saw the ad.
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »

This is my cat/pit she 6 months been out a few times in the woods. every time she'd range out by herself I don't really think its clicked in her head what shes doing but I can't wait till it does its gonna be on. Im gonna put her in pen with smaller hog to build her confidence, since she's only seen big pigs as a puppy. I got high hope's she turn out to be a strike dog.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
here she is in the pen

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »

This is my cat/pit she 6 months been out a few times in the woods. every time she'd range out by herself I don't really think its clicked in her head what shes doing but I can't wait till it does its gonna be on. Im gonna put her in pen with smaller hog to build her confidence, since she's only seen big pigs as a puppy. I got high hope's she turn out to be a strike dog.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
here she is in the pen
here she is in the penWatch "Cookie working small hog" on YouTube

DONT POST PICS OF DOGS CATCHING IN A PEN....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:52:24 pm by UNDERDOG » Logged

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: