April 19, 2024, 11:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: pup w/ parvo...have questions...need advice  (Read 3107 times)
stx_hunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:31 pm »

i have a pup w/ parvo....just vaccinated today...noticed he wasn't himself a couple of days ago....other pup showing no signs at all....separated them, limed the ground, and also going to mix a solutions of bleach and water to spray in and around the kennel...was wondering how long should i wait to put the pup back in there or if i should never use that area again....i read i have to bleach the water and feed bowls that were n the kennel.....also read i have to hydrate the pup on a regular basis to give him a chance.....do u all know any other tricks or advice as far as keeping the pup alive and curing the area where the kennel was....thank u all for ur time and have a good one

get'em willie
AnthonyB
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:56:48 pm »

i had a pup with parvo, i kept him hydrated as best i could orally, but  also gave him shots of sterile water just under the skin between his shoulders. it makes a pocket of water under the skin that his body will absorbe. there is a name for doing that, but i cant remember what it is. the size of the pocket depends on the size of the dog. my pup was about 3lbs so i gave him one about half the size of a baseball or a little smaller. if you've never done it, you may want to let your vet do it and watch how. hope that helps.

I hunt and breed FBMCBO,inc. dogs. (Weatherford's Ben)

TDHA BOD
W-tate
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:19:09 pm »

Start him oh dex. Iv. Solustion.  Pydialite

Well, the devil made me do it the first time The second time I done it on my own
Lord, put a handle on a simple headed man And help me leave that black rose alone
sm159144
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:41:03 pm »

Pedialyte worked for me. Works the same on pups as it says it does on children. Cleans em out. I also sprayed for ticks and fleas with a yard spray to kill everything and havent' had parvo problems since then.

Southern Bred Hog Doggin. Go teeth or go home.
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 04:53:51 pm »

Not sure if you read this yet but check it out if you haven't
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23301.htm&word=parvovirus

I am not sure if you were looking for home remedies or just advice in general but the main thing you need to keep an eye on is their fluids and as far as the area you will want to disinfect it at least a couple times a day with Bleach or if you can find a solution called Parvosol it works wonders! Good luck to you and your puppy

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
stx_hunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:58:18 pm »

thank u all for your help

get'em willie
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:00:49 pm »

Also if you are can get them to eat a raw egg it will coat the stomach and be less likely to come back out if they're having a hard time holding anything in

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
scout1
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:48:30 pm »

IV FLUIDS UNDER THE SKIN, AND A SMALL DOSE OF PEPTO (TO COAT THE STOMACH) HAS WORKED FOR ME IN THE PAST...   THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THEM HYDRATED...   

"Don't Worry About The Horses, You Just Load The Wagon"
Dexter
Hog Master

Confetti Catahoulas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 01:01:52 am »

THIS SIGHT SAID THEY CAN SAVE 80% WHERE MOST OF THE TIME ITS ABOUT 20
 HOPE THIS HELPS
  DEXTER

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/parvo.html

Confetti Catahoulas
Skip A Rope Catahoulas
skip_a_rope_catahoulas@yahoo.com  confetti_catahoulas@yahoo.com
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:48 pm »

fill a syringe with 1cc of bleach and squirt it down his throat it kills parvo in them just like it does on the concrete, at least thats what an old timer told me and it kept my pup alive after the vet said he would die. I repeated that for a few days and after saw he lived gave him another cc the first day. hope this helps
WAARHEID
Strike Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:37 pm »

i had a pup with parvo, i kept him hydrated as best i could orally, but  also gave him shots of sterile water just under the skin between his shoulders. it makes a pocket of water under the skin that his body will absorbe. there is a name for doing that, but i cant remember what it is. the size of the pocket depends on the size of the dog. my pup was about 3lbs so i gave him one about half the size of a baseball or a little smaller. if you've never done it, you may want to let your vet do it and watch how. hope that helps.

it's called giving 'subcutaneous fluids', there is plenty of info about it online, just google it.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079fb-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=243&cat=IV+Solutions

stx_hunter
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:11 pm »

thank all of u all for ur advice....the pup is doing fine

get'em willie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: