March 28, 2024, 03:27:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newby question on using hounds.  (Read 867 times)
T.R.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:22:08 pm »

Does anybody keep a hound or 2 in the box to get a race started if there no fresh sign. We have done it with running hounds for coyote huntin with greyhounds. Opinions or thoughts?

Riggin dogs and catchin hogs.
jfork
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:10:27 pm »

My local farms aren't big enough for my cold nosed hounds.  Before  I knew better I tried it.  I have a walker that winds from the box and I have thought about bringing him to some of the farms to ride and wind, then turn the other dogs loose.  We using him at the hunting lease to find hogs and turn the young hounds out with high success.  Might just have to try it with the cur dogs.
T.R.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:39:02 pm »

I have some big places and iv allways had hounds. My familys all been big bluetick people alot smokey river and buzz anderson bred dogs for coon bear and lions. But im wantin to try a good plott dog

Riggin dogs and catchin hogs.
Nash
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:19:02 pm »

It's good to do if you don't have cold nose curs. Took me years to get curs with cold noses. I used to always keep a Plott to get a cold track going around here. Now I just hunt yellers Smiley

Nash
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:15 am »

Hounds are mostly what I hunt.  I hunt huge tracks of ground, so dogs roaming isn't a problem.  But a hound will go until they find a hog, sometimes that can be miles.  If you are hunting a place where you have boundaries, hounds aren't always the best option. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: