March 28, 2024, 02:46:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patterdale Terriers.  (Read 3265 times)
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:05 pm »

I am looking for a breeder of Patterdale Terriers. I am wanting to get a pup or two to use as a blood trailing dog, and a woods companion. Would like the pups to come from someone who raises their own, breeds them, and has used them with success for many years as a all around woods dog.

I have contacted Underdog, but have not talked with him yet. He did text that his partner sold a gyp that was bred and that was a option? Any other contacts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:50:34 pm »

I know of a man that just had a litter of Jadg terriers, but that probably doesn't help you out any. 
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »

I am friends with Dennis Lail. He had some high powered Jagds. I think I want to stay with the Patterdale. Thanks.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:15:44 pm »

If you PM me your contact info I can put you in touch with our buddy who has been raising/working Patts for over 25 years. He's where we got ours from.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
Hog_Hunter_57
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:21:02 pm »

Look up drop shot knennels
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:41 pm »

Whats the difference between patterdales and jagd terrier.

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:51 pm »

Jagd is a Patterdale on steroids!
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »

Hey taz, if you on me with your info or if you have a Facebook I can out you in contact with a friend of mine that's got some nice ones
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:46:31 pm »

And crack. Jagd terriers are too insane for my liking. I truly believe they hate everything with hair, feathers, or scales.....
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:41 am »

And crack. Jagd terriers are too insane for my liking. I truly believe they hate everything with hair, feathers, or scales.....

Speaking of which, the other day, I could hear my husband's Jagd losing his mind out back. I had to go investigate. Apparently a good sized Alligator Snapper managed to find himself on the edge of his chainspot, and the Jagd was trying his damndest to dig through his shell, lmao. He's lucky he didn't lose his nose!

The ones we have I would say, are a notch above our Patts in regards to drive, and we have some pretty drivey Patts!

TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:15:49 pm »

I want a dog that has a better handle on them then a Jagd. Companion and woods dog that can blood trail and is small is what I want. Not a game bred Pitbull, camoed in a small fury package!! Lol..
Hog hunter 57. Did you mean Direct Shot Kennels? Damon Wilkes?
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »

Hog hunter 57. Did you mean Direct Shot Kennels? Damon Wilkes?

I heard Damon was out of the terriers.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
Hog_Hunter_57
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 02:00:51 pm »

Sorry DSK kennels mine was super rough! Straight catch on hogs all of 12lbs ear ring on a boar.
GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 04:36:02 pm »

I'm interested in hearing more about a Patterdale for the same purposes. How are they with children and around the house?
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:34 pm »

I'm interested in hearing more about a Patterdale for the same purposes. How are they with children and around the house?

All of ours are great with our kids, just very hyperactive. ONE of mine is capable of being a house dog, just a highly driven house dog, lol. The others we have I wouldn't keep indoors because they'd drive me insane.

GAhunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »

I don't necessarily mean indoors. I just mean around the house in the yard with the family when not being hunted.
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 06:35:04 pm »

I don't necessarily mean indoors. I just mean around the house in the yard with the family when not being hunted.

It will be different from line to line, and probably more important how you socialize and discipline them. I have had patterdales as my buddy and house dog for about 11 years now. They have been fine with my kids, most are aloof toward children. They would happily greet them but weren't usually interested in playing kid games like dress up and tea. The drive can be managed and trained to appropriate time and place usage. BUT  like I mentioned it varies greatly by family/line.  So much so you'd swear they were different breeds.

As far as blood trailing, they should be more than capable, but keep in mind there drive is not to please a handler, it is predatory.....traditionally. By that I mean they could very easily be side tracked toward live game vs trailing a scent they have learned will not put up a fight.
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:48 pm »

When not being hunted, ours are attentive and alert, and very active. They are a notch down from our jagds though.

Sent from the Southern Comfort Combine using Tapatalk

TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 07:15:20 pm »

Thanks for all the info. I have a couple of breeders that have up and coming litters, so I am set with what I am looking for.

I raise all my dogs to be house trained. They sleep in the house in dog crates at night, and then outside in their kennels during the day. When raised from pups a Jagd or Patterdale will learn what is wanted from them in the house and out in the woods like any breed of dog I have owned. I find raising dogs this way give them a better handle, plus they do not crap in the dog box, kennel, and they are just as good of hunters if not better because of the bond they get by being involved in the family pack, and exposed to more things then just living in a kennel and spending time in the woods. It also helps I only keep 4 dogs!
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 09:03:36 am »

Give up on your patterdale already?seen him for sale on airboattrader site
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: