April 19, 2024, 01:49:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dogo training  (Read 4682 times)
setexasplott
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:12 pm »

i have a dog that will not bay in a pen period. but u put him in the woods and u will have to catch at the hog r he will go and find another as soon as u get to the caught hog he is one of my best dogs but he is strictly woods could care less about a hog in a pen . just something to think about

i know i should be hurtin but im smilin ear to ear
TDHA Member
WWT Official scorer
Gangly
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 10:59:28 am »

dogo's, or any bull type breed, bloom late.  Don't forget that.  Some dogs will ignore a hog until they are mature, and then it just clicks over night.

All dogs have a trigger, its finding out what they do once the trigger is pulled that determines if they will catch or not.  Your dogo is still immature and hasnt had its trigger pulled yet so don't be quick to discard it.  It hasnt been amp'd up enough yet to figure out what she will do when the time comes.   You have to figure out a way to get her amp'd up about the hog and then see what she does when she gets the chance. 

Once she figures it out, the trigger pull will be a lot lighter Smiley

-Aaron-

"Whose your favorite Little Rascal.....Spanky?
redcur
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »

Has she seen it done by another CD? From what I have heard the DOGO matures alot later than most.
Dogos Los Matacos
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 03:34:19 pm »

It sounds like you did everything you can.

With all due respect, I don't understand all this talk about dogos maturing slower than others, that's bull. Those aren't dogos, the dogo should be crazy to catch good sized shoats by 4 or 5 months and able to catch something twice its size by 6 or 7 months.

Throw a hog head in with a bunch of puppies and they should rip it up, let them play with a shoat and they will kill it. You can tell very young if they are dogos are not.

Mataco
kevin
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 04:43:28 pm »

With all due respect, I don't understand all this talk about dogos maturing slower than others, that's bull. Those aren't dogos, the dogo should be crazy to catch good sized shoats by 4 or 5 months and able to catch something twice its size by 6 or 7 months.

Throw a hog head in with a bunch of puppies and they should rip it up, let them play with a shoat and they will kill it. You can tell very young if they are dogos are not.

How many dogos have you seen that are the way you describe?
Ladogos
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 11:27:27 am »

How many dogos have you seen that are the way you describe?

www.Ladogos.com
Marvin Garrett
Dogos Los Matacos
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »

Kevin and Marvin,
Sorry for the delayed response, I can only check the internet a few times a week.
Short answer: plenty.
Why the question? Are the dogos or the lines you work with different than what I described?
What are you saying?  That dogos take longer to turn on? That they won't grab a shoat by 4 or 5 months?!?  That they won't go after and catch a hog around a 100lbs at 6-8 months? Again, with all due respect, that's bull, and if your experience is different, that they due in fact take longer to turn on and catch, those dogos are from the wrong blood.
If you believe the answer to the above is “no, dogos will and should do that” and were just asking out of curiosity how many I’ve seen in person, which I doubt you were, I have seen several pups with my OWN EYES (at least 8 off the top of my head) turned on and catching by 6-8 months. I have good friends here and in Argentina that have dogos catching by the same time. I’ve also seen tons of photos and videos from the same people.
Some people can search high and low, but if they look in the wrong places, they can be with the breed for 20 years and have well engrained opinions formed around an erroneous understanding of what a dogo is. 
To me, it is no coincidence that a dogo that has countless generations of hunters in its background will catch double its size by 6/7 months.  Its ancestors were shaped by the field, not in a show ring and then trying to work them over into the field, that's working backwards.
Dogos more on the mastiff end of the scale will take longer to develop physically and mentally.
Those dogos have too much of whatever else in them and not enough "Viejo Perro de Combate Cordobes" (basically the Argentine Pit Bull) in them.
Besides my personal experience, and that of countless Dogueros, read through the Book "The Dogo Argentino" by Agustin Nores Martinez and look at all the photos of puppies on hogs. Those are the dogos to breed--dogos that show heart and desire at a young age.
If you breed or get dogos from people that have "late bloomers" you'll probably get "late bloomers."
Here's an idea: I'll go to Dogo Argento (The largest dogo forum in the world), I'll go to the hunting section in Spanish, and I'll start a post for people to post pics, videos, and testimonies about dogos that are "crazy to catch good sized shoats by 4 or 5 months" and "able to catch something twice its size by 6 or 7 months." Then I’ll cross post the link here in a while, we’ll see if what I’m saying is that far fetched amongst hunters in Argentina.

Mataco
Gangly
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 04:30:35 pm »

thats fantastic.  for every one person who does post pictures, you will have 10 that don't.  Dogs, like people, mature at different rates.  Being able to throw yourself on a hog at 6 months of ageis a decent enough indicator of being a good catchdog, but its not the "be-all-end-all".  Some dogs learn/mature slower, and that doesnt mean that the dog is any less "dog" once it figures things out.  People on here talk about how some strike dogs turn on late, or dont turn on at all until they are given to somebody else, then the dog shines.  Circumstances determine A LOT when training a dog.

-Aaron-

"Whose your favorite Little Rascal.....Spanky?
raider54
Hog Catching Machine

Giving BULLDOGS a New Name

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »

Now look what you started Grant!!!!!!!!!!! Grin

I TALK ALOT OF SMACK-COME GO WITH ME AND I'LL SHOW YOU IT ISNT ALL SMACK

Facebook Check Out-Hog Hunting Texas Style
See our web site www.XXXtremehogdoggin.com
Ladogos
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »

Mataco, I will bet my house and farm to you and anyone else on here that give me 10 dogos , of your chosing , and 10 pits of my chosing and i will make more of the dogos quit on a big boar than the pits on a big boar . And they wouldn't have to be on hog but 5 minutes tops each.

And if you keep reading all those books about how a DOGO can run, find, catch, and hold the boar untill the hunter gets to him or, " EVEN KILL " the boar if need be then you my friend are BADLY mistaken. I can promise youi that the hogs will either get away or win the battle EVERY TIME .. and the reasons i say this have NOTHING to do with the dogo quitting or not being a DOGO ..
A FULL grown boar will win one on one either by killing the dog , the dog dying from over exertion, or the hogs ears will get pulled off and he will be gone. Now I am speaking of actualle hunting. Not testing in a pen . .

And the part about putting a Dogo in a pen with a full grown Puma is ALL HYPE . If you put a dogo in a pen with a FULL grown adult puma that has all of his claws he to will win EVERY time. The rear claws will rip the guts out of a dog in about 1 minute . .

And I My Friend am a " DOGUERO "

I don't own any pit bulls , all I have used for the last 15 or so years is Dogos ,

And I fIremember corrctly you have only been hunting for about 1 1/2 years and only got your first dogo ( a rescue ) about a year ago.  You can correct me if I'm wrong and not trying to argue or Call you out. But it is what it is .

www.Ladogos.com
Marvin Garrett
stoked
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »

Well, i think that all dogs are different Mataco. You can't be sure that every dogo will catch by 5-8 months. I think pitts have more drive than most to be good catch dogs. It's just a natural talent they have and most don't have to be trained to be aggressive. I have a pitt right now that's about 6 months and he just started catching. He didn't show any interest what so ever- before that. He just turned on like a light switch. I've seen some dogos in action and they are hard catching dogs, but when they're pups, they seem a little more shy than bulldogs. They have a different personality. It may take some pups a while to mature into a catchdog. I wouldn't give up because they're not catching in 5 months. Be patient with the dog. Ladogo's has been doing this a long time, I'm pretty sure the guy knows dogo's well. Might be a good idea to listen to his advice. Hope things work-out, and good luck!
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »

I had a pure (registered) dogo a while back that was just as you describe yours.  Both parents of this dog are exceptional catchdogs, and come from WELL established lines...bred to the hilt.

I had it in my thick head that this dog WOULD eventually come around and make a catchdog.  I tried EVERYTHING imaginable over a few week period to get the dog to even show a HINT of prey drive.  At wits end, I tried the make-it-or-break-it method as described above hoping a large, mean sow would flip on his switch.  I put him in a small (5' square) pen with the sow and she hit him right off.  He squealed and flipped over on his back.  She never hit him again, but for the next few mintues everytime she would even turn her head his way he would squeal like heck and just trimble.  I pulled that dog out of the pen, counted my losses and chalked another one up to a lesson learned.  That was the beginning and probable end to my dealings with pure dogos.

I would try this as my last ditch effort also worked for me. He turned out to be the best catchdog I ever owned. It was a do or die kinda thing for him. luckily for him he knew his optios. LOL

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 09:48:46 pm »

La Dogo that was a very big about you and your post shows alot about you. Over the last 10 or 20 yrs they were pushed on to the CD circuit and forums for the $ . Glad to see even a breeder and hunter of them will admit that all dogs have limits and aren't these super bred hog exterminating dogs. Take care.

Ladogos
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 10:02:20 pm »

La Dogo that was a very big about you and your post shows alot about you. Over the last 10 or 20 yrs they were pushed on to the CD circuit and forums for the $ . Glad to see even a breeder and hunter of them will admit that all dogs have limits and aren't these super bred hog exterminating dogs. Take care.

Robert,  Didn't you know they are not a dog ? ?    They are a GREAT WHITE UNICORN  ! ! ! !     LOL 
dont get me wrong they are the breed of my choice  ! ! !

www.Ladogos.com
Marvin Garrett
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 11:39:31 am »

Oh I know they are and you have some darn good ones, but like our own kids we know what we have. LOL good and bad.

Dogos Los Matacos
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 05:01:49 pm »

Marvin,

I've had the rescue for over three years. There are five dogos at my house with a sixth one on the way. With all due respect I know dogos and know and hunt with people who've been hunting with them for nearly two decades. All that I've seen from dogos that started out as hunting lines/catching lines and have been bred for hunting, want to catch by 6 months. That you would talk about dogos vs pits that way says something about where your dogos come from and what you haven't seen. I have noticed that people that have mastiff like dogos over 100lbs talk about them being slower to get started.

Maybe a great guy, but listen to what he has to say about dogos, I have other mentors.

I didn't mention anything about pumas (Ivan did), but to say the puma is "Hype"? Not everyone puts videos on youtube. The point is the dogo can have his guts ripped out, but he won't quit till he's dead.

Mataco
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 07:14:39 pm »

have a rank hog digemdown and I caught this wkend in the bay pen--will let you know how it goes, going to try some protection training as well--thanks
USHOG
Strike Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 07:38:51 pm »

I would cull any of my dogos at 9 months old if they are not hitiing and holding small hogs. I also cull hard against cds that fight the boar. A good cd will hold the boar not fight the boar period. You dont need a dog that tears up the hog or can not hold it for a long pireod of time by themselves.  each one That I have will and can hold any boar for as long as it takes and they are all willing to die before they would give up. Puma, bears , or boars they dont care. It is what the dogo lives for.

If you want to see what dogos do and do well if I might say come and watch. October 5 and 6 I am training 3 young dogos on some huge boars(250 to 375). It is a sight to see. I will not post videos or pictures but you are welcome to watch pm me if you are interested

Ladogos
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 08:52:41 pm »

Marvin,

I've had the rescue for over three years. There are five dogos at my house with a sixth one on the way. With all due respect I know dogos and know and hunt with people who've been hunting with them for nearly two decades. All that I've seen from dogos that started out as hunting lines/catching lines and have been bred for hunting, want to catch by 6 months. That you would talk about dogos vs pits that way says something about where your dogos come from and what you haven't seen. I have noticed that people that have mastiff like dogos over 100lbs talk about them being slower to get started.

Maybe a great guy, but listen to what he has to say about dogos, I have other mentors.

I didn't mention anything about pumas (Ivan did), but to say the puma is "Hype"? Not everyone puts videos on youtube. The point is the dogo can have his guts ripped out, but he won't quit till he's dead.

Mataco ,  Reread my post ,  I NEVER said i havent seen pups turn on at an early age, NEVER .  All i Said was there is a LOT more HYPE about the breed than reallity ! !    Go back and look at any of my post or weeb site and you will find or see that ALL of my dogos have started early and have been in the woods at an early age .  But that isn't anything SPECIAL,  it is what they are suppose to do.   You have an open invitation to come over and we will go hunting and talk dogos. And mybe then i could explain myself for you to understand what im trying to say.    I have had pups that started at an early age , Late age and everywhere in between.  I cull hard and hunt even harder.  My point was exactly that a full grown unaltered puma with all of his claws will kill  a DOGO or any other dog for that matter before the water even gets hot.  Just don't beleive everything you read in books or see on video or hear breeders telling you. MOST, not all, are in it to SELL dogs and make money.   Again you are welcome to come hunt with me anytime and bring your dogs .

www.Ladogos.com
Marvin Garrett
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 09:29:36 am »

I know dogos and know and hunt with people who've been hunting with them for nearly two decades.

Mataco the Dogo was nearly unheard of two decades ago unless you hunted with the Rankin's they were one of the 1st in this region to hunt with them in this region. Is that who you hunt with? Being only 10 to 15 yrs old at that time you should have seen plenty in that time to know not all were created equal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: