April 23, 2024, 03:32:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sam Mason  (Read 921 times)
oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:10:47 pm »

Does anyone know anything about Sam Mason's line of catahoulas?  I bought a pup off him about 12 years ago and at that time his dogs had a good reputation around the hog hunting world even though he was mainly a cowboy and used his mostly on cows.  I had six dogs when I went threw the big D and that pup was quite possibly the best young dog I'd ever owned so I gave most my dogs to friends until I got my situation under control and my only request was to take care of Mason (thats what I named the pup) because when I got things sorted out I wanted him back.  Well wouldn"t you know it, he got killed by a bull one day when my buddy was penning his dad's cows for him but I always wondered what that pup could've been since he was less than a year old a had already found several hogs and done some pretty amazing things.  I never talked to Sam again about any more pups but I always wondered if they were all like Ol' Mason.

Not looking to get in touch with him or anything, just wanting to hear any stories about his stock of dogs and what folks that have hunted them thought about them.   Thanks
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 05:25:14 pm »

Ive had a couple over the yrs the 2 i had made dogs i gave one to a guy that pens cows.he was very happy,the other one was rough .both found hogs are cattle.the second dog died doing wat he loved.wasnt to rangy.in no sign,but would go the distance after the strike.my 2 cents..
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »

Oconee out hunting group has a very strong mason gene pool that I cant speak enough of, my buddy's grandpa and another fella when to sams many years ago and bought dogs from him and over the years we've just kept them bred tight, they are athletic dogs built to go they constantly stay on the go while on the ground but that's just our strain of the blood there is outside blood bred in there as well
Txmason
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:23:10 am »

Mr. Sam and I have swapped dogs over the years and he had some good working dogs.  I still have some of the blood back to my Happy dog who goes back to Mr. Sams Buster dog.  Mr. Sam is LA. Mason and I'm TX Mason in the NALC

Douglas Mason
979-733-0578
www.txmasoncatahoulas.com
www.tdha.org
oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:56:08 am »

My pup I spoke about was either out of Buster or maybe a dog out of Buster but I do remember Sam telling me Buster was right there close on top.  I'm thinking he was direct out of Buster  if that time frame sounds right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: