March 29, 2024, 06:39:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a breeding question.  (Read 1402 times)
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »

hillbilly i'll give you my thought's on the matter , unless all the litters are raised and trained in the same manner by the same person and all variables are the same and controlled you will have a bunch of different outcomes   lol   some folks shouldn't own a hunting dog much less try and bring one up and hunt it  .  but that's another topic   lol   but I've seen it happen in a more scatter bred pair of dogs being bred , them genes have a lot of ways to hook up and some times they get confused . I had it happen with a gyp and her half brother  the first litter were good pups , all early starters and gritty the way I liked and folks that saw them wanted some so I bred her when she came back in and out of that litter only two out of ten made dogs . it's hard to figure , and these were young dogs in their prime . the stud dog thru good pups after that when bred to my walker dog so who knows . even when tight line breeding you have to constantly keep your eyes open for them bad genes they will show up at the most unexpected times .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

I think the guys are right. The tighter the gene pool is and a lot of times the more similar each parent is to be other the higher the probability for consistency. I have seen it both ways. The inconsistencies came more from the more scatter bred, less alike matings. It's no different with horses. People often wonder why someone don't breed the same stud and mare to get another great horse like the first mating produced. It's  because you rarely ever get the same or even close to the same results. Horses are bred more on type or characteristics as much as anything. They aren't usually line bred like our hounds. To me it goes to show what a useful tool linebreeding is because of the consistency that it creates. Even cloned horses or genetic twins haven't been the animal that the original was.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:53 am »

Just for the record Kerry, I was glad to read further into your post. When I first read your title I was worried about your up coming marriage!
reatj81
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 06:41:49 pm »

Just for the record Kerry, I was glad to read further into your post. When I first read your title I was worried about your up coming marriage!
Lol
That's funny $hit!   
And Kerry on marriage info you are on the wrong site, it think hunters have almost as bad of record as cowboys, or pro athletes.... Lol
koyote76
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:13 pm »

Well I still haven't thought of a good enough response yet lol! Its just to funny.
 I believe when it comes to marriage we are all as lost as a ball in tall grass.

“If you don’t have as much grit as your dogs then you don’t deserve to have them.”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: