April 24, 2024, 10:37:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruptured Achilles  (Read 674 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:59:54 pm »

Anyone dealt with it in a dog?

"Let's talk some philosophy"
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:19:42 pm »

They may have to surgically reconnect/repair it. She'd be in a cast and on strict crate rest for 10-12 weeks. Prognosis is good, but there will always be a risk of her re-injuring it down the road if she over exerts herself. From what I've seen.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
spazhogdog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »

Had a gyp that had a hog cut hers into and ripped the top part away from the muscle. She had surgery and a partial cast that was adjusted every three days, she is a stocky dog and the cast kept slipping. If they do cast or wrap watch for swelling and sores. After six weeks, took cast and wraps off and cryed. Her hock would almost touch the ground. Hand walked for two weeks and then started swimming her in a pool for the next four weeks and then started taking her on short hunts. She is about 90% on this leg. She was worth it but it was a lot of work.

Gods gifts   grandkids and puppies
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »

Water therapy aka hydrotherapy works wonders for these sorts of things (post surgery)

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
matthewrbarnard
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:44 am »

My best dog had his Achilles cut in two by a boar several years ago.  Nearly bled out before I got him to the vet but they pulled the bottom portion up and the top portion down and reattached it the next day during surgery.  Like some above said, he was in a full cast so no weight would be put on that leg.  I had a hard time with him not trying to tear the cast off and had to finally have a super hard one put on, but all that happened about 200-300 hogs ago for him.  Smiley   Grin Grin Grin  You can look at it and tell something happened bc it kinda sticks out to the side but he is a beast regardless.  I would say he is at least 70-80% on it.  Only time I can really tell it bothers him is on LONG hunts in the winter when we may hunt 6 or 7 hours.  He will pick it up some but that's it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: