April 25, 2024, 01:01:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog with no ears  (Read 5853 times)
lambert14
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »

So I have a question. I am new to this sport so just curious. Why would anyone bar a hog and cut both ears off? I almost lost my two best dogs due to this incident. Went to a new place and struck a hog. Went 680 yards and start running in and hear a loud yelp. Cut bull dogs loose around 120 yards and then hell breaks loose. The two bull dogs caught him run to bay and notice a few dogs missing that are usually there. Here landowner yell this black dog is not going to make it. Get pig hobbled and look around and my two best dogs are cut pretty bad. Look at the boar and notice no ears and barred. He only weighed 205 but had some nice cutters. Ended up saving both dogs. But my question is why do people do this?
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:01 pm »

Some people feel like this is a good way to cut the competition down, especially when they run loose bay dogs. I would think it would be directed towards the guys that may be slipping in on places they have no right to be hunting.

Them no earred Barr hogs are a double edged sword, they're bad on everyone's dogs including the person doing the cutting.
Jmesonp1
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:07:06 pm »

If the hogs ears were in poor condition when he was turned loose then infection could have been the reason for loosing his ears. Even people with loose bay dogs have to catch the pig again. I cant see anyone actually wanting an earless barr in the woods, but people do strange things.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »

You can always tell whether a slick headed Barr was done that way intentionally or by dogs.  If the ears were mangled they'd heal and rot uneven and jagged as stumps, an even smooth cut is for sure an intentional thing.
E barnes
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:16:36 pm »

If you have a bay dog rough enough to grab a 205 lb barr hog my guess is this wont be the last time you get cut down. 
E barnes
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:17:42 pm »

Ears or not.
HOGHUNTERX2
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:55:07 pm »

Rough and catchy dogs are rough and catchy dogs no matter ears or no ears! No telling where he or how he lost his ears or where he was barred. Have caught  a few over the years with no ears or one ear, and no dogs cut, just saying.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »

Hoghunterx2 agreed
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 08:53:12 pm »

yea i would say most of the time the no eared hogs are done by the dogs.

Lets go we burning daylight
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:22:26 am »

In my opinion it one man mad at another for one reason or another. U can also be sure it wasn't the guy that hunts next door.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
JoshH34
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 11:01:48 am »

Because they're idiots.  Plain and simple.  there's no need and no point in doing it.  Glad your dogs made it through. 

Don't tread on me.
paul.m
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

Somebody's bay pen hog got loose...

"You can't hang with the Big dogs! Stay on the porch with the little dogs"!!!!
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:15 pm »

Paul m. Hey there buddy. Lol
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 07:27:29 am »

Agree with most comments already said.  The only true reason I could see for this would be...

A non hog hunting land owner or deer lease member has hog hunters trespassing on land.  He figures a sure enough way to keep hunters out is trap a hog, barr it (so he can later shoot it for meat) and cut the ears off, makig it harder to catch and a bit more dangerous.  He may figure that the tresappasers may decide to hunt somewhere else.  Not saying I completely agree with this scenario-but it makes sense.  Landowner or lease member not wanting dogs in the area gets a two for one if the hog hunters leave and he shoots the barr years later.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 09:36:51 am »

That's probly what it is
shuttin em down
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 09:42:01 am »

Some people feel like this is a good way to cut the competition down, especially when they run loose bay dogs. I would think it would be directed towards the guys that may be slipping in on places they have no right to be hunting.

Them no earred Barr hogs are a double edged sword, they're bad on everyone's dogs including the person doing the cutting.

Exactly what I was thinkin
lambert14
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »

The ears for sure looked like they where cut off. Slick right at the head. Land owner was with us and was pretty pissed.  Said there are a few guys who dog around there and have a real bad rep. He said he bet they trespassed on him. Said if he ever catches them won't be good. But yes I have some real ruff dogs. I have one real loose baying dog. She is my best but she got cut as well. So it was kinda weird seeing her cut up. They are doing great though. Thank you
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 08:07:03 pm »

Lamber14 how long have u been hunting with dogs just curious.
To_The_Bone
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »

If you or anyone else turns bulldogs loose at a 120 yards and have no clue what you have bayed your not very smart in my opinion!  The bull dog is not meant to be the hero he is there to help you catch the hog.  Almost any dog is going to get in there after the bull dog if your slow or scared ass is not right behind your bull dog which ever one is the case just my opinion. I've been hunting over twenty years and only lost a couple of bay dogs.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 09:15:35 pm »

To the bone  I agree for the most part but I do let my cd go from much further
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: