March 28, 2024, 11:42:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: polling eth for rcd cross choices and other ??  (Read 4105 times)
jagdtank
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:18:10 pm »

I'm seriously considering pit crossed with grey hound or something like that whippet or anything that is real fast. i just cant get the cd thing down.lead ins are just to much work for me. heres what i keep seeing happen,I get to bay hog breaks before cd is deployed. the other more frequent one is i cut cd loose and hog see it coming and breaks and the next bay is two miles off with similar results until dogs loose them or give up eventually. with my original pack this almost never happened.I partly understand why now. although they wernt the best ever. i had a more decent team than I knew. I walked into bays and hog never noticed me or my rough curs until it was to late. most of the hog not noticing the approach of me and my "help" dogs was the fact a dog was baying 2 feet from its nose and would lay teeth if it turned away. it's attention was focused on bay dog. my rough female would walk in and i have videos of her catching that i recently noticed she would walk close and would not catch until hog turned head away for a second. she had been on hundreds of bays before i owned her and I now recognize how skilled she was. I wish i could get her back for sure. but shes gone. i have a good strike dog but he bays loose and will not lay teeth on a hog with out back up. hogs will sometimes still be layed down when i get there he will bay a group from 30 yrds away garmin usually doesnt show treed because he bays each hog a couple barks and loops around them. boars walk with him alot.I have had great sucess with this dog finding pigs he will roll out after i stick one if more are around.i see hogs most every time i go with him but he is not gritty but will catch hard if another dog does, I like a bulldog once hog is caught but right now I want a dog that can flat run one down too. I know you can get this or that kind of strike dog but I live in mo so hog doggers are uncommon and I have a family to support so i have to hunt the dog I got or raise pups instead of paying big bucks for a finished dog. I know a couple coyote runners with grey hounds and such and I have a bulldog ready to stand right now but anyway, feel free to give GOOD advice on what i need if you are well experienced hunters.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 12:05:38 am »

I have a ridgeback pit cross that I am very fond of. Fast, good bottom, and well catch as soon as given an opportunity. He may be the exception to the rule I don't know but he gets it done for me.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:33:13 am »

a couple of good ol rough Catahoula's is what I used for  around eight years , then I bought my first bulldog .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:59 am »

Straight Florida Curs ! The work is already done for you, and the breed consistently produces RCD!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:03:10 am »

I like the fl curs I got them and fl cur x cats that do pretty good but my roughest are Ladner and Ladner x Ben Jordan
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 12:42:07 pm »

Get 2 well bred plotts & you have the nose, trail, stick & catch. Just make sure they are bred gritty. 2 plotts bred right should be worth 4 or 5 of the spotted & yalla dogs. Evil lol
  No matter what breed you use, if they are RCD's be prepared to lose some.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »

Cajun you right about that I need to gritty plotts as long as they are fast on track
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:44 pm »

depends on what you call a rcd- running catch dog or ruff cur dog.to me a catch dog don't back up and bay at all, never.thats the first sign he gona quit. Cry

I would go with the pit cross on bird dog
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 04:25:03 pm »

Big nasty what kind of bird dog you use
HairyHolder
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:12:25 pm »

Wolfhound/mastiff is my favorite. Easy to breed and get good dogs on the first cross. I stay away from Stag and Greyhound crosses because you get gritty bay dogs out of most of the litter. You want lose more dogs by going to finder/holders unless they are really gritty bay dogs and not true finder/holders with zero back or hesitation on big boars. Any dog that puts it's mouth on a hog has the same chances of getting hurt since most injuries come from the first split second or two that a dog makes contact with a big boar. I know plenty of strait bay dog hunters that loose a lot of dogs. It's no walk in the park out there and the risk to our dogs is high no matter what kind of dog it is.

HairyHolder
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:21:49 pm »

If a finder/holder gets injured a lot it is usually because they hesitant before trying to catch the ear. That split second will give the boar a chance to sucker punch the dog on his way to the ear. If the dog hits on the run without hesitation they rarely get hurt. I can only speak for my dogs in heavy south texas brush and thick crops but this is what I see year softer year big boar after big boar. Good luck with you search I love my finder/holders and would never hunt anything else in this thick brush down south. 

wildchild
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 05:36:17 pm »

I pretty much run just running catch dogs and every breed has a rcd. just has to find that one i have a pair of Brittany Spaniel a  catahoula pit cross a walker bluetick cross and many more and they do awesome

Rocking D Kennels
jagdtank
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »

http://youtu.be/BWpiq8bmKq4 heres a video of the scenario with my first dogs watch how female catches hog and how jagd bays and keeps pigs attention. bays where usually similar to this.  i hope its ok to post. i posted them to you tube I soon realized the error of posting anything like this online but its there and not Gorey.I also appreciate everyone's advice so far!
DirtyDave
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09:50 pm »

Pit x Jagd?

Hic Ego Statio
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 04:21:24 am »

Big nasty what kind of bird dog you use
gsp and English

buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 07:02:34 am »

I have some Dane crosses. They are fast, smart, and will hold big hogs by themselves. Little dogs get beat up to much.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »

Big over sized dogs don't work good where I hunt but I kinda agree
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »

Big nasty those two breeds are high power on there own lol
buddylee
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 05:13:30 pm »

I run mine in swamps, clearcuts, fields, etc. Only thing that slows them down are the vest hanging up on bushes and briars.
jagdtank
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 05:47:11 pm »

are you crossing the danes with pit or what?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: