April 19, 2024, 03:33:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psuedo Rabies.  (Read 1000 times)
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:56:17 pm »

I just got a call from my buddy who went hunting with me last Thursday, to let me know that his Kate gyp that he brought on the hunt died from Psuedo Rabies and was wondering how my dogs were since they were the ones catching!! All my dogs are fine! Thank you for that!!

What has been your all's experience with this? I think its 100 percent fatal in dogs. Why his gyp and not Fancy, Blaze, Or Clyde who were covered in blood from catching?? His gyp hardly bit the hogs!! Not a good way to go from my buddies discription and pictures!!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »

Man taz that sucks bad for him. Good thang for you  your dogs where ok I heard that it was in north texas but I don't know any one that has came across it. My friend did tell me that if they do get it they will only have a short time left
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:02:55 am »

wow,did his/your dog have current rabies vaccine ? would make me think twice about hunting that area,did you release them hogs?could spread thru the poputation.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:33:13 am »

its not rabies . alot of hogs carry it , its a small chance of a dog getting it but if he does he needs to be put down . no need in letting 1 suffer with it .
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »

All dogs current on shots and wormings, but makes no difference,  Psuedo Rabies is a form of herpes,  and it's fatal to any dog that gets it. The dog was put down as soon as it was diagnosed!
Last census I saw on Psuedo Rabies and hogs in Florida by FWC said 40-50 percent of the population has it. Not saying that number is the bible, just stating what I read.  I only heard of 1 other case down in Labelle,  Florida. Dog on the hunt I was on died of it and the other dogs, one of mine included were all fine.
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:25:27 pm »

I hunt Hendry and glades counties and never had a problem.  When was the labelle hunt you mentioned?
dodgegirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 06:03:13 pm »

It's all over river ranch in Florida & okeechobee. I had a friends dog die about 6 months ago after catching a hog in okeechobee. If your dog gets it do the right thing & put it out of it's misery. Sad thing to see & as far as I know there's nothin you can do for it
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:14:47 pm »

Was the dog a young dog or just bred?

I have talked to some vets that have dealt with it. And some people that have had it. I was told....although no studies or research has been done. That a normal healthy dog encounters small doses of the virus from hogs they catch. So they build antibodies in the blood to the virus that they constantly encounter. Like they make snake anti venom by injecting small doses until anti bodies build.

So a healthy dog that catches hogs, when they encounter a hog "shedding" the virus they are less likely to be infected. And is not effected. However a young dog that does not have the anti-bodies or a dog that is compromised immune system from pups or fighting off infection from a bad cutting...etc. They will get infected and that is all for the dog.

Like I was told no research has been done. But to me that explains why some would get Psuedo and some would not. And I have witnessed it many times, where one will get it and die and the others will be fine.

Sorry to hear about your buddies dog....but..the life of a hog dog is full of perils!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:29:39 pm »

Make sence to me
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:11:37 am »

Cajunl. I read the same thing about acquiring antibodies from catching hogs over time that were shedding the virus. The dog was young that got it, and limited hog exposure. Yes it is a rough sport on dogs with many dangers to end their life quick.

Rd. it was about 6yrs ago. 5 dogs caught that hog that night, mine being one of them. The dog that contracted it was a young pit/rhodesian cross.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: