March 28, 2024, 10:20:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: camp-a-while catahoulas  (Read 3077 times)
caseygreen
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:16:11 pm »

Good? Bad? need some input please . Thinking about buying a female.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:19 pm »

the ones I had dealings with were all right . a little loose baying for my style but were real good bay dogs . cattle or hogs  .  is it coming from bando or some one else .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:42 pm »

This is a very narrow point of view, but it is my only point of view.  I''ll start off with a story.

Back in 1999 I got my first two hog dogs.  One was a plot from Mr. Orval Roberts, the other was a young box head red leopard furr dog from south FL.  I started hunting a little and then I deployed to Iraq (I was in the Army at the time).  When I came back from Iraq, I could not get my plot back, my dad made a house dog out of her and he really loved that dog.  The friend that took my curr dog gave me a sorry excuse, so I never got him back either.  For the next year or so, I tried finding some decent dogs.  Everything I came across was a cull.

After a year of feeding culls, I started researching these Catahoula dogs.  I ended up calling Sherry Bando.  She told me that she didn't have a liter of pups at the time, but she did say that she had runt female from her last liter that nobody wanted.  She told me that the gyp pup she has was black and tan and no glass eyes.  She explained that nobody wanted this color dog. I asked how old the pup was and she said 3 months.  We discussed a price and I sent her a check.  I fed this pup and worked with her a lot for the first year and half.  Sh would bay a hog in a pin like a champ, but she wasn't going to hunt more than maybe a hundred yards or so.  This was before garmin, heck this was before I could afford a Quick Track.

Fast forward about 6 months and I was on a hunt in South Louisiana on a rice field.  We bayed an caught a boar about 100 lbs or so, and she was in on the bay.  As we were walking out, she left out on a hot track and bayed her first hog solo.  We caught that hog and ever since then, she has been a different dog.  She can roll out with the best of curs and I would put her up against anything out there.  She has been raised with plotts and trained a bunch too.

I don't know about the entire Camp A While line, but the little gyp I have wont ever leave hear.  She turned 11 years old this past June and she is not as fast as she used to be, but it seems like every time I take her, I come home with a hog.  Very tight bay dog, outstanding confirmation, hot nose, HUGE heart, bottom= 4 hours on a hard running hog, 100% companionship.

Out of all the dogs I've had since 1999; she is by far my favorite.  I don't know if this help you or not, I don't know of any other C A W dogs.  My gyp is double bred on Ms Bandos Elvis; she has a great pedigree.

I cant say that I would search for another C A W dog.  Ive talked to a few people that have the line and they seem like they are salesman, sure not hunters.  Anyway, good luck in finding one that suits you.  Ms. Bando is on Facebook, you can get a hold of her there.  My pus name is Shadow, Ms. Bandow named her and I try to report on her progress every couple of years when I see Ms Bando at Uncle Earls.
caseygreen
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »

the pups were coming from a guy out of maud ok , beautiful pups I just decided I could not pay $800 for a pup . Looking for some real rough and tuff cats that can be used as running catch dogs . any info would be appreciated
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:09:43 pm »

I have a buddy that has a nice line of working catahoulas.
I wanna say elvis.diamond cutter stuff idk much bout them but you can ask him for more info
Pm me if you want his info.
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:37:49 am »

Oklahoma everything up there seem to b expensive. Do some good research first.
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 07:40:08 am »

Caseygreen where u located at. I have pups on ground u might b interested in
caseygreen
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:51 am »

Located in Snyder texas
txsteve85
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:03:18 am »

Info  sent....
Stamper
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »

What's the guys name in maud, ok.
caseygreen
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »

cody sandlin , like I said they real nice looking pups but too pricey for me
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:29:28 pm »

Seems like a lot or most of the people breeding and selling registered catahoulas are doing for show or bay pen stock and they all want a pretty penny; especially for blue/gray colored pups with glass eyes.  I don't know of too many hard hunting cat lines around.  I know they are out there.
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:07 pm »

I got some hard hunting cats. Got some pups on ground 10 weeks old if anyone is interested. Located in ferris tx.
My cat lines r out of Jason Kanutes blood line people probably won't know the dad never sold a dog in his life but I managed to buy a few dogs off the son.
caseygreen
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 10:10:52 am »

hey catchdog are the pups papered , how much , and can you post some pics ? thanks
slckhunter1978
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:06:17 am »

Seems like a lot or most of the people breeding and selling registered catahoulas are doing for show or bay pen stock and they all want a pretty penny; especially for blue/gray colored pups with glass eyes.  I don't know of too many hard hunting cat lines around.  I know they are out there.
[/quote

opinion same here i started out with cats had a couple decent ones. Very short range and very hot nosed and had one that was really good at shutting running hogs down until he got off his chain one day and decided he was gonna shut the bulldog down. That was that i sure have come to miss that one quality tho as we are having a really hard time shutting hogs down anymore. Dont get me wrong i have hunted behind a couple dam good cats. Guess i had bad luck picking them. I faded to bmcs and hit somethng there and never looked back. I do like a touch of plott n them but my best dog right now is full bmc. Its kinda funny u mention color and money as my experience with them the 2 dam good ones i have hunted behind were both black n tans with no glass eyes. Just wanted to share my 2 cents and yes i did buy a camp a while cat from mrs bando at uncle earls. Dam good bay pen dog. But like i said maybe the fault was my picking??   Huh?

Hunt hard or go home!
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 10:04:44 am »

[/quote

opinion same here i started out with cats had a couple decent ones. Very short range and very hot nosed and had one that was really good at shutting running hogs down until he got off his chain one day and decided he was gonna shut the bulldog down. That was that i sure have come to miss that one quality tho as we are having a really hard time shutting hogs down anymore. Dont get me wrong i have hunted behind a couple dam good cats. Guess i had bad luck picking them. I faded to bmcs and hit somethng there and never looked back. I do like a touch of plott n them but my best dog right now is full bmc. Its kinda funny u mention color and money as my experience with them the 2 dam good ones i have hunted behind were both black n tans with no glass eyes. Just wanted to share my 2 cents and yes i did buy a camp a while cat from mrs bando at uncle earls. Dam good bay pen dog. But like i said maybe the fault was my picking??   Huh?

If you ask Sherry Bando, she will you that the Black and Tans are the strongest genetically.  At least that is what she told me 11 years ago and when I bought my lil bB&T Gyp from her.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: