March 29, 2024, 12:28:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who else prefers a bay?  (Read 1989 times)
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:02:53 pm »

I have had about every style of dog a man could have. Started with catahoulas that where very short range to birdogs you would never see. Have had rough and I have had loose. I read all the time about runners and needed dogs to put breaks on them. But to me one good solid dog will keep that hog stopped till the cd comes. Yeah I break bays every now and then but most of the time that hog gets caught. I don't mind rough dogs but I would rather have a a dog that backs up and bays and a solid catch dog. I like to here a bay and be able to take my time to get to it and not worry about finding their guts laid out when I get there. I seem to catch more hogs with a loose baying dog and a bulldog. I got an 8 year male fl cur and a 6 year old female that I couldn't even begin to tell you how many hogs they have caught. Anybody else like to hunt with one baydog and a catch dog?
Ford Man
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:24:02 pm »

That's my favorite way to do it. Caught a lot of hogs that way. I kinda like to have two-way dogs like your talking about though. Funny thing is im just getting back into hunting after being out for awhile. And the dogs I got right now aint nothing like that. Borderline straight catch  Cheesy
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:09:38 am »

I prefer that way too. The places I have to hunt are not dogged so we get a bay all the time verry few runners. I like to get close if only running one catch dog. If have two I dont mind cutting if there is no rivers between me and bay

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
bolo
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:03:30 am »

hansonw, I agree 100%. I can't stand going to a squeal! & will kick some a$$ when I get there.I hate to see a hog eat up by "alligators", and will not hunt with ruff dogs.

the old blue boar
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

That's my style! Love to see the bay if I can.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »

hansonw, I agree 100%. I can't stand going to a squeal! & will kick some a$$ when I get there.I hate to see a hog eat up by "alligators", and will not hunt with ruff dogs.

I enjoy walking into a solid bay, no matter how long it takes to get one to bay, and then I like to know that the Barr I just made ain't all chewed up!
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:28:54 pm »

I try to keep me a pair. I'll have a spare cd with me on the ride if I need it. Maybe I'll get two more years out of my old cur. By the time he is done the cd won't have teeth lol. I got the bay dog replacement coming along good but now I need to find me a solid leggy female catch dog female to replace my old dog. So if y'all run across a good pit cross female preferably brown let me know;)
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »

Heck what kinda hog hunter don't like a bay that's kinda the point aint it
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »

I like the bay as well like to get there watch the dogs work but on the flip side I hat when u strike get there hog breaks runs forever and at the end u got a 50# pig. Dog has to have some grit to it
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:22:12 pm »

Yes sir ferris that's why I like rough ones mixed in with looser one they will bay the ones need to be bayed and eat up the others
Bowhunter1994
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

Love me a good bay

Sonny

If you cant hang with the big dogs STAY ON THE PORCH.
swine dogger
Strike Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:21 pm »

I like a good bay but when you've been huntin all day with no results, a squeal sounds pretty dern good but that's just me
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »

I'm like you are I'll be whooping some dogs back if they are caught. If it's less than 30lbs I want them to bay it just because I like to take my time and listen to them bay for a while and if it's all loose dogs you don't have to worry about guts strung out when you get there. I definetly don't like mixed dogs. From my experience its a bad deal hunting loose and ruff. They all end up cut up
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:01 pm »

My loose dogs are probly what yo call rough I don't like them to bay from 20 feet not that it's bad rough and rowdy just fit me
Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 10:14:03 pm »

I won't own a dog that just bays & have gave away & sold some good dogs for that reason.  I don't own a bulldog. I love some rank curs.   I like going to the woods with one dog & catching swine

Smiling like a killer
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 02:29:55 am »

I like dogs that will go the distance for hours and sit down with a hog waiting for cd!   
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 07:17:49 am »

I like to hear 2 or 3 dogs baying it's music to my ears I wouldn't call my dogs rough they will catch under 80 lb and all will catch with the bull dog. Mine all got a touch of hound in them and can take a couple hour Track they ain't the best no where near it but I can't replace none of them cheap from what I have seen chitty dogs go for my worst dogs worth $800 so I prefer a dog that will get out and hunt 200-1000 yards if they cross a warm track run it bay the hog with out putting a lot of pressure on and live to hunt another day I like killing hogs not dogs and walking up listening for each dogs voice and knowing I can walk not run I have had dogs that were rough and there wasn't much bay just pig squeezing . Around where I hunt a short range dog ain't gonna do the job they got to cover some ground to find fresh sign most short range dogs I have seen were hot nosed and you have to put them on hot sign though I have seen a couple hounds that were short range looking but would hang with a older track till they were looking at pork . I can't stand a dog hanging around the wheeler liking it's nuts either.
ferris tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »

Jasondunn sounds like ur pack is like mine good deal
hatchett
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 05:56:09 pm »

We caught way more pigs here where we r with loose baying dogs that would get ahold of them when they broke these were small streak bred mountain curs crossed on a long range cat cow dog they stopped and bayed the roughest of pigs without a scratch
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 11:04:51 pm »

I run loose dogs that won't even think about catching. Love the fact that they leave when the catch dogs get there and at least attempt to go bay me another one. Good music...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: