March 29, 2024, 04:18:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocahontas Plotts  (Read 3944 times)
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »

I have 2 (male and female) pocahontas plott pups coming from Eugene Walker. They will be here Thursday October 2nd which is next Thursday.  Excited about the pups.
Just curious if anyone recently is hunting pocahontas plotts and your feedback would be great.

Sawyer Fullwood
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:35:27 pm »

Gene Walker is a very good guy to deal with. Him & his wife Anne are great people.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:49 pm »

I do not know him personally. But I have been speaking to him on and off since I first inquired about the pups almost a year ago. The pups are out of poncho ll and ole miss.  Poncho ll was just voted big game hound of the year.
I have to admit I'm pretty excited about the pups , I'm hoping they work out. He does guarantee them.

Sawyer Fullwood
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:10 pm »

Cajun have you ever hunted his breed before? I mean I know you have a very fair line yourself but just curious of feedback on the pocahontas line for hog huntin.

Sawyer Fullwood
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:25:42 am »

I bear hunted with a dog this past summer that came directly from Gene. He was as good as they get.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 10:30:49 am »

Well that's good news . I figured I bettered my chances by getting 2 pups . I will post pictures of them when they get here.

Sawyer Fullwood
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:37 am »

I have a 1/2 full Pocohonats gyp.  She is about 3 years old.  Very nice female.  Can do it all by herself, needs no help finding, trailing and baying a hog.  Thing I like about her the most is speed and she will stay bayed.  No calling her off, only way to get her is get the hog or try to catch her crossing a road.  I like her enough that I would try a full pocohotas.  Good luck.
muleskinner
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:04:50 am »

I got a cross from that line. Winds really well but is also really gritty. Good luck with pups I wouldn't take for my dog.
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have heard a bit about them  but havent in a little while .
I like a hound that is fast and has some stopping power and likes to bay  ( who's doesn't lol) , rough at times is fine with me.

Hoghunter - do you know which male/female your dog came from?

Sawyer Fullwood
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:08 am »

I'll look when I get home and let you know.  The top side of the pedigree is Heat/Hammer Bred.  She is a stand back and bay dog.  She wont puy her mouth on a hog.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »

Hey Jon, What do you mean by you have a 1/2 full Pocahantas gyp. Isn't that a oxymoron. Just messing with you. lol

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:06:46 pm »

Pups arrived thursday. Healthy and raising hell. Lol

Sawyer Fullwood
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 10:05:58 pm »

Great looking pups.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Relentless pursuit
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:47 am »

Thank you. I would like to have one of yours in my pack as well. But will have to wait till next year's litters.  Plus if I ever wanted puppies out of my own I would need a different blood line anyway these 2 here are litter mates.

Sawyer Fullwood
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 02:40:48 pm »

Mike,

I said 1/2 full becuase I thought is sounded better than 1/2 empty LOL.  Thank you for correcting my Louisiana writing...you know us guys north of I-10/I-12 are educated a little different than you bayou boys.  I should have said my gyp is a 1/2 pocohontas bred dog. 
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 02:42:07 pm »

Pups arrived thursday. Healthy and raising hell. Lol

They sure look good.  I like the fact thet they are all brindle and have little to no white on them.
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 03:21:55 pm »

Yea the little female has a couple white toes on her back feet but that's it and it's so small it may go away as she ages. She's got the longer ears also. I'm happy with the way they look. Excited for them to get old enough to start.
Being a former cur dog hog hunter that converted to hounds I'm excited to have some hound power with alot of grit. Lol.

Sawyer Fullwood
Bowhunter1994
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 05:21:24 pm »

They look good

Sonny

If you cant hang with the big dogs STAY ON THE PORCH.
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:28 am »

Yea the little female has a couple white toes on her back feet but that's it and it's so small it may go away as she ages. She's got the longer ears also. I'm happy with the way they look. Excited for them to get old enough to start.
Being a former cur dog hog hunter that converted to hounds I'm excited to have some hound power with alot of grit. Lol.

I said the exact same thing about 10 years ago and never looked back!  My bet is the gyp pup starts eralier than the male.  You should have a real good idea on performance at about a year old.  Good luck!
sfullwood88
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 10:28:04 am »

Yea I don't think I'm going back to straight cur dogs lol.

Let me ask yall that have the more experience with plotts.
Around what age does your plotts tend to be ready to start?
Also how did you go about showing them their first pig?

We always get them interested in a pig around 8 months old or sooner depending on dog then start taking them to a puppy pen and start letting them run with the big dogs.  ( once they get big enough to keep up)
Just curious if yall ever do any mock hunts with them to try and get them to be more of a lead do it yourself dog right off the bat or just run em and let them play follow the leader till they decide to start doing their own thing alone one day?
That's my normal procedure. But I feel that if you have a pup or to that has the drive you could possibly turn that dog into a lead trail dog sooner if you work with him quite a bit and do mock hunts with him at a young age then take him to the woods and feed him tracks.

Sawyer Fullwood
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: