April 27, 2024, 11:05:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might ruffle some feathers  (Read 3672 times)
JSEAY
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »

My Aunt and Uncle have a Catahoula for a companion only. They wanted that breed and paid good money for it knowing it was going to be a yard dog. So, some people do like these dogs for non-hunting purposes.

The Wife had good intentions I give her that, something my wife would not do. But, like others have said probably research the breeders and do your homework when paying that kind of money for a dog.

My 2 cents worth  Smiley

I agree and have no problem with the ones that will tell you up front these dogs are not bred from hunting lines.  My grip is the ones that will tell you that these are the best hunting dogs known to man knowing good and well they are more than likely never going to amount to anything but a good looking yard dog.
Hawkins
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »

I agree and have no problem with the ones that will tell you up front these dogs are not bred from hunting lines.  My grip is the ones that will tell you that these are the best hunting dogs known to man knowing good and well they are more than likely never going to amount to anything but a good looking yard dog.
[/quote]

Aww..yessir I agree with you on that one.
jhy
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 01:37:17 pm »

Their are exceptions, but u still walk urs in even if it only takes 20yds but I am guessing u have them on the ground with finished dogs. A dog is a dog and most need to have confidence built up and require more work than dropping a tailgate and sitting down and waiting on them to find a hog as a pup. Especially if there isn't any fresh sign around.

"You lose a lot of money chasing hogs and women, but never lose women chasing money."
jhy
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:33 pm »

Sorry, I cant type very well from my phone so I will re word my point.  As a majority puppies are going to be just that, and when in the hands of inexpierenced hunters they are going to remain ignorant to what is going on.  It is easy for folks that have been doing this a while to take the right steps in training and getting a young dog going, but for someone who doesnt know what is going on and just rides a fourwheeler around the woods with a pup running in front of it isnt going to teach it anything except how to run in front of a fourwheeler.  Especially in places where there isnt a lot of hogs.  I have learned the hard way through trial and error and I know when to put a pup up and when to put them on the ground.  I also have learned how to assess a pup and k

"You lose a lot of money chasing hogs and women, but never lose women chasing money."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: