April 20, 2024, 02:42:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plotts vs Currs vs Hound cross ?  (Read 1057 times)
bootheel
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2014, 11:29:22 pm »

It seems that there is an imaginary border from around Clovis, Nm that swoops southeast for a ways, then east around and through palo duro canyon all the way to the prairie dog town fork of the red river somewhere between silverton and south of claude. Then mostly on the south side of US 287 to Clarendon, then some on the north side but still mostly on the south side of 287 until you get to Memphis. Then the line goes north all the way up to Mclean and then northeast all the way up to Canadian, then across to Okla. These imaginary borders seem to be the borders (if you will) that the majority of the hogs stay south. Keep in mind that I figure this to be the northwest corner of the hog migration. When I first started hunting hogs with Bill Quisenberry from Amarillo in the early 90's, they hadn't reach this far north back then except a few here and there. That being said, what kind of dog do yal think would be be suited for this kind of country and weather conditions? Low to no humidity, almost always a little windy, very hot in summer and brass monkey cold in the winter. And one more thing, the dog has to be able to stop a runner quick because of property lines. I hunt about 95 percent at night, but thinkin I'll give daytime a try after deer season closes. PS, I run loose bay dogs and a lead-in. Let me hear some opinions from yal.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:27:08 pm »

A good dog from any of the three kinds you named can get the job done where you hunt. I don't care where it is. The only problem is, there are alot more sorry dogs than good dogs in any breed or cross. Find you someone in that area that has dogs that suite your hunting style and try to talk them out of some or from someone that can catch hogs wherever they hunt.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
reatj81
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:08:07 pm »

A good dog from any of the three kinds you named can get the job done where you hunt. I don't care where it is. The only problem is, there are alot more sorry dogs than good dogs in any breed or cross. Find you someone in that area that has dogs that suite your hunting style and try to talk them out of some or from someone that can catch hogs wherever they hunt.
That sir is info for every one looking for a hog dog. Not dogs that will bark at a hog, but real hog dogs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: