March 29, 2024, 12:24:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: old days  (Read 1264 times)
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:11:33 am »

I just got through visting my dad,and we were talking bout dogs he has had in the past.and how times were in them days,he said you rem when we had a sow and some shoats bayed.i told you to rope the sow,and pull her to a tree.then we catch and mark the shoats,ole dog was full cat,as i roped the sow,old dog he shut up and caught a shoat,daddy mark it cut it if a boar.turn loose ole dog go catch another one mark and let go.would do this over and over.all daddy had to do was point and that dog was gone looking,not just burning the woods down,but he new were to look for hogs.daddy would leave the other dogs at home ,and just take the old dog.i seen that dog bay hogs catch pigs all day.you would be sick of hogs.lol i dont think these kinda dogs come around often.and how we hunt has changed,and so have the dogs.a true hog dog sure is hard to find,daddy will say you dont make a great,but a great is born.that old dogs blood is still in my yard ,some good hog dogs come off him.but not a great.ya' ll have good one.good hunting...
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:54:45 am »

Them days and them kinda dogs are just about gone buddy, hardly anybody "manages" their hogs anymore, hogs that bayed like that have just about all but been eradicated around here, folks want to believe that by turning hogs back a loose that it causes them run harder witch is far from the truth, ask any old schooler or old timer and ask them how they controlled their hog population and I guarantee they won't say by sticking everything they caught, my wife's great grand father would use two cur dogs to bay With and a lassie type collie to catch with, my father in law tells me stories if Shen he was a boy catching, marking, and cutting hogs from sun up to sun down and you didn't dare touch another mans marked hog or mark a pig that was sucking a sow with somebody else's mark in it, he's got pictures from when his father witch would be my wife's grandfather in a hog drive here by the house many moons ago, when the river would get high it would push the hogs out of the swamp and into the hills and whomever saw them would pen them in their lot until the owner could come load them or drive them back to their place
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:12:37 am »

there is an old poster on the wall at ben jordans with everybody for miles brands and earmarks and adress . up in the 60's they still didn't have phones in them mountains  . if you bayed somebody elses stock he said you'd pen'em and or send them a post card tellin where their hogs were so they could come get them .

i'm told their was a killin in them hills less than 30 years ago over hog stealin .
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:49:01 am »

Good story bubba. I think the dogs ain't went no where we have changed with the time most of us are in a hurry trying to stay in the ray race can't put the time in em like we should
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:19 pm »

Yes i think the dogs are still around them days are gone.sad but true,iam just thankful i got to see some of the old times and learn from old men,i marked alot legal hogs in my time.seen lot things messing with dogs and hogs.seen folks get in lot trouble over marked hogs.iam not in pissing match,i raise dogs to hunt hogs.and catch our share.just like my grandad did my dad did.you my get a catch dog off my yard,iam not coming off my dogs i raise to find hogs.my dogs are not the best and i always wont better.but there mine.and i learned that many moons ago.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »

Yea y'all are right the dogs are there but you hardly hear about them, I was lucky enough to marry into a line that my father in law and his friends have had for quite a while that make great hog or cow dogs once you have a handle on them you can work both ways with em, they go back to some old catahoula stock that an old ranch hand had and he can't remember the fella he got them from way back when he was a young man at a stockyard some where's, he just bred them true and my father in law was lucky enough to have gotten several dogs off this line, he's kind of handed the reins over to me as far as the dogs go and ive put what I know about line breeding and what I'm learning to use and have got a few " projects" under way off this old line crossed over itself and several other good lines, the next year is going to be interesting.....
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:28:41 pm »

Wish you the best of luck goose.good hunting.
mickstone
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:16:59 pm »

Thanks for sharing that, I always appreciate hearing about the history
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: