March 28, 2024, 03:30:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs Losing Weight  (Read 435 times)
Cooter56
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:02:15 pm »

I got a dog that has lost some weight. Ive wormed and poured the feed to him. Any advice on a supplement I can give him to help out?

Dont Back Up, Dont Back Down
hogmantx1979
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »

Try giving meds for tapes

Life is what you make of it!!! Always stay positive
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:04:20 pm »

The brand dog food I feed swapped the recipe and cut a lot of the fat out they were using causing the feed to be drier. My dogs that get worked a lot started losing weight and got to where you could see hip bones and vertebrae in their back. I couldn't afford to swap feeds because between me and my father in law at any given time we'll have 20 head or so if dogs from small pups to finished dogs and a few retired brood dogs. I buy my feed by the ton and get a great deal on it and as far as muscle mass and stamina it was still a good feed, my dogs were just lacking the finish I like to see on a dog this time of year. So I started mixing cooking oil in their feed along with his some horse weight builder, diamotecious earth, and a immune system and joint supplement. Man my dogs put the weight on quick and have way more energy than before. I have a few that are hard keepers so I did some research on alternatives to chemical wormers, and found the DE works great if used everyday for several weeks and fresh garlic. Trick to the garlic is it has to be chopped fresh daily and let set out for a minimum of 5 minutes before given to the dogs. I could never get weight on my bulldog but after using the DE along with the garlic and other things listed above that fella is starting to really bloom out. You can also google the satin ball and try that.
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:07:00 pm »

I also give my dogs a tsp of probiotics once a week. You can a tub of the probios for around ten dollars from most feed stores.
Cooter56
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:48:20 am »

Ok thanks guys. Ive been doing some reading, and stumbled on red cell which ive been told will help. Is this a good all around supplement for dogs?

Dont Back Up, Dont Back Down
sterling
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:08 pm »

I've used Red Cell as a supplement when dogs are healing up and I believe it speeds up the process. Usually, when I have dogs dropping weight for seemingly no reason it's tapeworms. Check their stool for what looks like pieces of white rice. If they are present, then you need to get a wormer that contains praziquantel. If they are just thin due to working more than usual then I usually give them raw eggs and meaty bones in addition to their normal feed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: