April 19, 2024, 02:08:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding a Dog  (Read 1863 times)
oconee
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:46:02 pm »

If it comes from a line that consistently produces good dogs, go for it. The lesser dog may produce better than it's "superstar" offspring.

X2   I heard a very well respected breeder once say "I'd rather breed an average dog from a great family than I would breed a great dog from an average family."
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 09:12:13 pm »

If I only gave 3 hunts to find a dogs worth I would have no dogs and a burned up 22 lol. With all these high standards there must be some real nice dogs out there. Bottom line is every one is different with different ideas on what they think a dog should be
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 10:37:44 pm »

I think it takes a couple years to see what a dog is. Once u see it and like it all u need is another that compliments it. At that point if I am willing to feed the pups I breed. I breed for me and what I like. I don't sell pups so what the next guy wants don't matter. I will never be a super breeder nor do I want to be. I may never have "good" dogs. That's fine long as they work for me. To me to many folks want to breed dogs and have their own line that may gain fame. The truth is the truelly good dogs are few and far. If it's that good breed it if it's not don't. U the one footing the bill or useing the shovel. Take money out the equation and the number of crappy dogs would go way down. 

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 10:38:26 pm »

I think the amount of responses to this topic are infinite. The answer to this question is going to be different for each and every person i feel......as  we all have our own personal wants/expectations/standards of our dogs....I dont think theres a right or wrong. Very interesting thread though, as I enjoy reading everyones opinions and personal experiences......

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 11:30:28 pm »

If you are breeding a family of dogs you should be able to know the dogs traits enough to know if a dog is bred worthy within 3 hunts.

I agree totally .  Here is were I might differ from a lot of breeders of their own lines of dogs.  I will sure nuff breed to super star are even just a really good dog from another hard proven family line of dogs and quick if I think it can help my line down the line.  A lot of breeders get way hung up with all this line breeding inbreeding I got this pure , I got that pure ,  to where their lines go almost stale to flat out stale.  I would never breed to a super star dog no matter how good he is if I didn't know how he was bred are anything about his ancestry .  Also there is breeding programs some dog men have that is called best to best and they don't care which line he comes from as long as he is a very great great dog and comes from great dogs and these men will except nothing but the best  .  These kinds of dogs have super stars in them from front to back and from good families of dogs and some may call them scatter bred but bro you have no ideal what these kinds of great great great dogs these kinds of dogs can throw when bred into some tight old family lines of dogs .  You bet ya I sure will breed my line of dogs into these kinds of best to best dogs .  Am not kennel blind some are !  If I bring another line of dogs into this yard to breed to they will have to be atleast as good as mine are better at what they do and are known for if not they are useless !  Am not to proud to say at all I will breed a younger dog at times here and there and if they are not from me are mine   you better know I will know just what is in those dogs , were they come from and who they come from .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:22 am »

All I can say is God bless the men who were willing to take a chance on a breeding that wasn't what everyone else was doing and discovered that different breedings worked when everyone was doing something else. That being said God bless those who were wise enuf to cull what wasn't working and not peddle them!
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 01:52:03 am »

All I can say is God bless the men who were willing to take a chance on a breeding that wasn't what everyone else was doing and discovered that different breedings worked when everyone was doing something else. That being said God bless those who were wise enuf to cull what wasn't working and not peddle them!

AMEN!!!
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 08:43:44 pm »

I will breed a young dog IF they show everything I want to see.  I run rcd catchy dogs and know their time may be the next time I let them out.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: