April 19, 2024, 02:57:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: getting outran!  (Read 3151 times)
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 06:29:32 am »

As Cajun mentioned above its a big help if you know the terrain and the strengths and weaknesses of your individual dogs. If you've been after a certain hog for a while, try your best to learn his pattern or where it heads for when the heat is put on him. I agree with Oconee as well if a hog gets to far ahead it's peeing in the wind unless you got something that has the nose and bottom to stick it out. As Cajun also mentioned there are a few fox pens around and every once in a while someone will get the wild idea to put a hog in it or they get in there under the fence, once them suckers have been in there a month or two your not going to take individual dogs in there and catch him, you better have a fresh pack. I was after a good boar in one for a while and kept getting outran, so I played him at his game and got a fox hunter who wasn't scared to get his dogs hurt to put on him at dusk one evening and ran him until about an hr before daylight, we got there about 45 min after, enough time to let him lay up and get stove up, we put some cur dogs on him and had about a 2 hr race and finally it was like he was tired if running and all at once spun to fight and as they say the rest is history.
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 10:08:37 am »

66 I have a friend that has a lil black dog weighs about 25 to 35 pounds. Dog ain't knee high. Lil sucker is fast tho for short runs mile or less. This lil dog in a bad thicket can and will roll thru the hog tunnels. If it is close to a hog the hogs just open the hole and she slips on thru. That lil dog has bayed a lot of hogs in thick stuff but once the hog stops to look back she is looking at him.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Shotgun66
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 05:23:48 am »

Yes sir WG. Them little brush beaters are neat dogs in the right terrain/circumstances!
-
 I keep waiting for his lack of leg and lung to hurt him in open country. He seems to hold up pretty well so far.

Leon Keys
Dish, Tx
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 06:25:15 am »

I like all size of dogs in my pack I got them from 38 lb to 85 lb a diverse pack that is well rounded will produce time and time again that is what makes a good pack you always need more than one kind of tool
Bowhunter1994
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 08:01:12 pm »

Dogs put it on a boar hog this past weekend! They stuck with him through some nasty stuff! We couldn't get the cd's there fast enough , but let me tell you all we will have him down very soon!
I had to quit hunting yesterday due to a family emergency.

Sonny

If you cant hang with the big dogs STAY ON THE PORCH.
Sonnyboy
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »

Awesome information guys !!!!
jassenswisher1974
Catch Dog

"It takes all kinds."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 07:39:51 am »

Cajun,
Your last post was the story of southern Ohio.  Thats what got me running Plotts.  Needed dogs with no quit but they had to give a boar no option but to stop and bay up. We still get outran but I have a great feeling after picking up the hounds after a 12 mile race as to them quitting after  700 yards. However I hunt huge tracks of govt land and most landowners where we hunt let you get your dogs with no problem. Dont know what its like to hunt LA or TX but would like to some day.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: