April 28, 2024, 11:03:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catching a hog in a big sandy creek question  (Read 1254 times)
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:51:28 pm »

Well,

Almost one week later and about 800 yds from last week it happened again; dogs bayed in the same creek.  This time the outcome was a bit different!

I had about 430 yds to replay what happened last week, the memory of the hog slipping away was all over my mind.  This time when I get to the bay I looked off the edge of the creek bank and I see the same thing, 15 ft straight down except this time  the hogs back end was facing me and there were fallen logs crossing the creek.  Unfortunately, this hog was probably 50-100 lbs less than the hog last week.  I looked on the other side of the creek and I noticed just around the bend of the creek was a gradual slope instead of the straight down bank.

I took the bulldog and circled around, keeping my fingers crossed that the hog would not break;  I wasn't sure if what I was doing was right, but I wasn't going to make the same mistake as last week.  This time the water about waste-chest deep.  I get the dog down the steep bank on this side of the creek and cross the creek to the other side.  Just around the bend of the creek the hog is still bayed.  I make my way up the other side of the creek bank and unsnap the dogo.  It didn't take a second and the fight was on!

As I slide down into creek to leg the hog, the hog turns away from me and tries swimming to the other side with my bulldog on his ear.  About that time my buddies bulldog gets there and the hog and both dogs go under.  I was able to leg the hog and get somewhat close to the bank.  It was all history from there.

I know one thing, them dogs look great baying in the middle of a big creek, but it sure isn't easy to leg one and get them flipped on a muddy creek bank.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: