April 26, 2024, 02:45:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cherry eye  (Read 1018 times)
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

A few months ago I noticed one of my dogs eyes were red and puffy after baying a hog they go back to normal after a while but every time since then when he bays a hog they do this I figure its because he is so intense anyone ever had a dog do this and do they ever get better on their own? This dude is a hog dog and I have breed him back to another nice gyp I hope he wont pass it on.
-Pworkingdogs
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:13 am »

i had a dog that caught on a pig i guess he was pushing his self so hard that one appeared in his right eye never went away finally had to get it cut out.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 02:01:20 pm »

Cherry eyes usually appear when the eye is irritated. If it actually pops out & stays out, surgery is required to fix it.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
sethmcalex
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:58 pm »

Mike is that a genetic issue or just caused by irritation?

Seth McAlexander

Palo Duro Plott Dogs
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »

Cherry eye and what Jason is describing are two different issues. Cherry eye is a prolaps eye duct, which is usually genetic. Jason's dog sounds like he might being rupturing some capillaries from baying hard.
Cajun
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:43:07 pm »

Seth, I would think it might be genetic but it is for sure caused by injuries to the eye. A friend of mine has a dog that has two cherry eyes. Dog looks like frankinstin. I had a 6 month old catahoula years back & he had scratched his eye on something. I did not worry about it to much & in a week he had developed a cherry eye. Took him to the vet & it is a pretty simple procedure.

Bayou Cajun Plotts
Happiness is a empty dogbox
Relentless pursuit
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 05:36:05 am »

Had two cur pups do it a few weeks ago, they are both litter mates and done it within a few days of one another, puffed out so bad it covered the entire eye , but a day or so later it went back to normal and been fine ever since, her sister did the same thing several days later and is fine now,
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 05:40:13 am »

I noticed they both had been kind of sick a few days before it happened just minor cold symptoms, I don't if that had anything to do with it or like was mentioned early genetics had a part to play in it, I have 4 other pups the same age who will  be their aunts and uncles all going back to same male and they haven't showed anything like that do far ....
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 08:42:49 am »

I was afraid of this I may take him to the vet see what can be done his is mainly in the inside corner of the eye. Neither his sire or dam had this issue I hope the pups I got off him don't either.
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:24:54 pm »

Prone in mastif breeds. Looks like a sack between eyeball and lids.  You might be able to push back in RIGHT after it happens.  Otherwise surgery.

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 03:44:41 pm »

Eye injuries can cause it. Pulling on a leash, straining to take a crap and weight pull can also cause it....its a hernia to the eye best way to describe it. Not necessarily genetic

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
J. Tallina
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 04:53:47 am »

We had a beagle with it in both eyes I always thought it was from allergies she had terrible allergies.
Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 03:14:15 pm »

I wish I had taken some pics the whites of his eyes turn red and in the corner of his eyes a bulge appears always after he has bayed for a while a day latter you cant tell it ever happened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: