April 16, 2024, 09:37:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many times/year do your dogs get to hunt?  (Read 1809 times)
Adrake
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:31:08 pm »

I want to get into hunting with dogs, but the problem is... We don't have hogs! I live in central Oklahoma, so the hogs are hours away. I still want my dogs but is it a waste if they only get to hunt 3-4 times a year?? Will they still be "good" or lose what they have learned?
T.R.
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:32 pm »

Theres hogs in central Okla i try to chase them atleast one day a week but usually atleast 2.

Riggin dogs and catchin hogs.
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:14:41 pm »

I just recently got a small spot maybe to small for some but it has hogs but since I got I trying to make it once a week in the mourning after i drop off my little ones.

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:33 am »

It will be hard to train a dog on 3 or 4 times a year. Now an old dog that knows the deal . He would be fine that much a year. They don't forget the game. They may get a lil trigger happy but they don't forget.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:50:45 am »

Mine as well let somone eles own them cuz u will be waisting ur time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adrake
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »

I want older, experienced dogs even if they cost more. I wouldn't be getting them for another 8 or more months, as I'll be moving. Anybody know of anywhere In Oklahoma that has an abundance of hogs, but less that 4 or so hours away from OKC? If I can move closer to where they are, I could hunt more.
hillcountry
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:35:46 pm »

Try to hit em atleast every other night.

If your scared you can ride in my pocket.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »

shoot , before I moved to east texas I was hunting about twice a day till it got to where I couldn't jump a hog in my spots any more .  but that was the objective ! 

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:40:00 pm »

If your not going to get to hunt but 3 or 4 times a year it's really pointless in owning "hog dogs". It cost a lot of money just feeding a dog for a year. And if it's a good dog it's really not fair to have him sit in a kennel all year to do nothing. I think it would be impossible to train a dog only hunting that little.
reatj81
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:43 pm »

You would get a lot farther faster tagging along with someone else if that is your situation.  If you have to own a dog get a (good) catch dog.  They are always welcome on a hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hutch33
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 04:04:35 pm »

^x2.  We hunt at the very least once a week, in about 2 wks we'll being a lot more hopefully 3x a wk.  If I were you, I'd focus on training one maybe two dogs, work on their prey drive and keeping them fit (flirt pole, spring pole, hand walking) then tag along with friends and take your well behaved and trained dog and you'll be welcome more and more ;-)
jpuckett
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:18:35 pm »

I live in central ok, and ya we have to drive 2 hrs to really get into some hogs. Why wouldn't you drive a good way to find pigs? There's a ton 2 hrs south of the city.  We spend so much time walking through the woods what's the difference in 30 bucks gas and a couple hrs in a truck? Dogs gotta hunt. Even if you can only go once a month or every other week. You can train dogs hunting twice a month.
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:56:27 pm »

Iv got a dog I hunt 2 or 3 times a yr an he is awesome.

Monty Bennet
Myles Man
Strike Dog

100 MPH in the right direction

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 12:42:27 am »

Here's my input on the deal.

My rule would be put a well bred pup (6-9 months) in fresh sign 6-8 times a month, be careful not to burn the pup out.  I'd hunt the pup alone more than with well started/finished dogs. Do that for a few months to see how the pup ranges out and hunts to figure what style the pup has. If there is no range and the pup looks at you all the time like "where are we goin?" Then get a new pup!

A well started/finished=high dollar hog dog would get you on the right track-if you can find one that suits your style. That puts you into another deal you must figure.

Do you have enough land that has hogs to justify owning that proven dog? Can you find the time to hunt that dog that does justice the dog deserves? Just a couple honest questions we all should ask ourselves.

Side note:
I also live in central OK. There's a good hog population scattered if you look hard enough. We are not as loaded as TX....so you have to have:

1) access to hunt private land (which is almost impossible without somebody already doing what we want to do) That makes for friends or enemies depending on character.

2) good to great dogs that have great noses and bottom to stick with the runners (unless you like gritty dogs that can stop em-in theory)

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
Myles Man
Strike Dog

100 MPH in the right direction

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 12:49:58 am »

How many times a year do my dogs get to hunt is a broad question depending on each mans situation. For me, 2 years ago I hunted 2-3 times a week. Now due to work I only hunt 1-2 times a month and ain't catching anything with my 1 cur gyp(she has very little bottom and after she runs 12-16 miles she runs out of land-or she's tired/bored and could use a partner!) I'm in the middle of deciding what's her deal or if the hogs are ran a lot and won't bay up...

Let's just say I'm in the preseason as far as my pack is concerned. I own one strike dog and 2 pits....learning them every chance I get. This time next year I will be in a different position and will probably be able to brag on them so in return they will make me a liar

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Proverbs 4:23
carolinahoghunter
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:01 am »

young dogs get to go once to twice a week.  older finished dogs can lay out a week or two and it does not bother me
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 11:34:57 am »

I try to hunt twice a week more if I can
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16:10 pm »

Not enuff!!

bay, catch, barr, repeat...