April 23, 2024, 07:18:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeder or Hand Feed  (Read 837 times)
BriarBay
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:20:02 pm »

Do yall use a feeder or feed individual portions every day?  I have heard that during the summer a feeder is the way to go, and the dogs may actually eat a little less since it's free choice and not gobbling down single portions.... 

Thanks in advance. 
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:52:29 pm »

Man I have feeders for every dog and they always look so good had them this way for 3 years and never had a problem other then rain that's it I just take all the feeders up in the rain and move them back out when it's done and idk if they eat more or less but I don't worry about it cuz I know they are always feed and when u get home from hunting u ain't got to feed them so nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Koa96727
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »

Do you have pic of the. Feeders that you use ? Pwilson

K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:12:25 pm »

I have always heard the same thing about eating less feed. I have done it some back years ago but really couldn't tell you one way or the other. I think it would depend on the dog.
I fed anAB for a while named "Reload" and I doubt seriously if you could fill him up. It was an amazing thing to watch that dog eat. He could eat all I ever fed him and 15 minutes later do it again!  Grin Sound familiar Britt??
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:25:01 pm »

Ya there just self feeders from tractor supply

J. Tallina
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »

My dogs look good on the self feeders except for one I have to hand feed cause he never stops eating I think if I let him he'd eat himself to death. One day when I'm bored im gonna see how much he will eat without stopping I bet it's upwards of ten lbs
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:36:11 pm »

I hand feed due to fire ants. I don't mind self feeders and it works fine especially if u can start them on it as pups. Young dogs adjust relatively quick but in the first week or so will eat way too much. I have had dogs free feed from pups that never got fat. They just eat enough to stay about the same regardless of work level. I currently hand feed and I just have to keep an eye on the dogs to see if I need to adjust. I have gotten pretty good with my older dogs and can keep them about right. It doesn't take that long to feed and that forces me to look each dog over daily. 

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:49:23 pm »

I hand feed due to fire ants. I don't mind self feeders and it works fine especially if u can start them on it as pups. Young dogs adjust relatively quick but in the first week or so will eat way too much. I have had dogs free feed from pups that never got fat. They just eat enough to stay about the same regardless of work level. I currently hand feed and I just have to keep an eye on the dogs to see if I need to adjust. I have gotten pretty good with my older dogs and can keep them about right. It doesn't take that long to feed and that forces me to look each dog over daily. 

Shotgun
Arkansas
i hand feed as well. I dont think anything at all is wrong with the self feeders. But i like spending that little extra time with the dogs.i pet them up real good when i feed and look them over. Plus a bucket is cheaper than a self feeder and im a cheap a$$ haha..

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
sandbank slayer
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 07:57:35 am »

I like to hand feed for the same reasons Georgia-hawgs and I like to try and maintain a certain look for each separate dog.

If it was easy, we'd all be experts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: