March 29, 2024, 08:24:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Longdog on hogs  (Read 2673 times)
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:59:26 am »

Anybody have any experience?  Popular in UK... thanks

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:05 pm »

what the heck is longdog?
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:32 pm »

Deerhound x Greyhound sight dogs don't really see a use here in Florida or in any thick.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:02:47 pm »

Whippet x greyhound is supposed to be excellent in stamina and recovery but dont know if have any nose to em?. I see some hunt with stag mix but I have never hunted around any but would love to see one in action

Jason Dunn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 12:43:50 pm »

Funny yall mention grey hound I got a dog off a feller 7 years ago she didn't look like the other pups I liked her colour she is blue brindle and has a lot of hunt and energy and a decent nose I finally decided to breed her so I did a DNA test just for number 2s and giggles turns out she is 1/4 Grey hound 1/4 Unidentifiable and 1/2 English coon hound blew my mind the place I used didn't have BMC in their data base but that was ok because her momma was a Ladner BMC so that filled in the blank. She is a decent dog I hope to get more like her I hunt day or night swamp or thicket she don't
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 11:40:28 pm »

Yes I have experience with long dogs and lurchers.    They are almost exclusively what I use now to catch hogs with.   
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 04:59:27 am »

Working lurchers and long dogs of the UK  are not bred to be as hard and fierce as the working dogs of the US and Australia are.   The people all across the UK are banned by their governments from catching animals like deer and boar with dogs.    All they can CATCH now with a dog is rabbits and rats.       If your interested in working  long dogs in their pure form, the US has some of the best to offer.    Stags are not recognized by any kennel club thus very few stags are bred by people who do not hunt them.     Lots of stags in the central plains states here in the US.    Most are used to run down and kill coyotes.    A few people like me use them as hog dogs.    Some stags are better suited for this type of work than others.
   Send two stags to a sounder and you will have two caught hogs in a matter of moments.    Some stags might not be hard enough to handle a big boar by themselves but some are.    I have one that is.
Mine has a decent nose on him but he is a sight hound first and formost.  He will wind a pig though.     Mine can't be left to hold for too long on a pig by himself or he is gassed.    If you don't let him hold a hog long, he can be emmediatly sent to run down and hold another but, he needs a little recovery time after the second pig.   Pretty sure it's the greyhound in him that hurts his stamina.    Grey hounds are not endurance dogs, they are sprinters.    Deer hounds and wolf hounds are better endurance dogs.   The Saluki is the endurance dog of the sight hounds for what it's worth.
    Whippets are probably the most agile meaning they can more easily bend with their prey while chasing it down instead of over shooting it like a deer hound if the prey bends as it's about to catch.
    Deer hounds and wolf hounds take a while to mature.   18 months or more before most are ready to catch a fair size pig.
Wolf hounds have a decent nose too. 
       I would NOT suggest long dogs to most hog hunters.   To ranchers, farmers, ranch hands, and contracted hog removal people, they might work well depending on the individuals hunt style and how they use them.     Stags are awsome but not all are as hard as mine when it comes to pigs.    Could more easily get a similar dog by crossing the stag to a wolf hound or a small dane. 
   Long dogs are very unique dogs and not understood by most and thus I don't think they work out well for most hog doggers.     In my opinion, long dogs are not at all suited for bay dog guys unless you really have a special place in your heart for such dogs.     I went from bay dogs and pit bulls to lurchers and long dogs.   I have one bay dog and pit bull left.    I'm very close to them but I don't hunt them often now.    I love them two dogs, especially my pit but my heart is in hunting with my long dogs and lurchers.
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:16 am »

Where do you hunt black streak?

Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:34:50 pm »

I hunt 20 miles north of Graham and also around Elbert/Throckmorton area
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 10:28:33 am »

I run a couple full stags and stag crosses. I use them as straight lead in catch dogs but on the rare occasions that a pig is running across an open field I will send em. Makes for a good show. Lol
Sambo5500
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 10:59:17 am »

Black streak, do you know the Bachmann's or the Redwines up there around throckmorton? they are my cousins.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 09:28:39 pm »

Black streak, do you know the Bachmann's or the Redwines up there around throckmorton? they are my cousins.

No I don't really know many people from Throckmorton.     I have a friend that lives in Elbert that has lots of farm and ranch land around there.    I hunt a lot of the McCarson / Youngblood properties around Elbert.    Most people familar that general area will know of  Throckmorton but few seem to know of Elbert lol 
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 10:10:09 pm »

I run a couple full stags and stag crosses. I use them as straight lead in catch dogs but on the rare occasions that a pig is running across an open field I will send em. Makes for a good show. Lol

That's awsome and very unique.    Why do you use stags as lead ins?
   What cross do you prefer when crossing your stags?
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:44:18 pm »

I have a hairy dog lol. He is half deer hound 1/4 ab 1/8 dogo 1/8 cat and is hell on wheels on hogs. One of the hardest dogs I have been around. Starting to strike on his own and will flat out run. Not quite like what blacks stag will but close.  I want more for several reasons but their holding style is like no other dog they hold clean and control a hog more than most dogs I have seen.
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:02:01 am »

I know the T.C redwine and Rusty real well I'm from Elbert.... Really good guys worked for they dad terry for several years
Sambo5500
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:43:29 am »

Those are my cousins. We actually just had our family reunion in grapevine this past weekend. Had a good time. I might be going up there soon to see TC and do some hunting. While I'm there I'll probably go over to woodson too to our other cousin bub Bachmann's place. Rusty is to Damn far away out there in Borden county.
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 11:20:20 am »

I live in Woodson.... Stop by and maybe we can make a run.... Bub has a few good places along the river... There has been some pigs on the redwines condran field I just haven't had time to get after them..... There is a large statue of a wild hog in Woodson that's my house your welcome anytime
Crossstock
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:05 am »

Black streak are you from new castle?
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 12:08:50 pm »

Black streak are you from new castle?

No I'm 20 miles east of Olney though.
Sambo5500
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:25 pm »

Stock, I will do that for sure when I come up there. Appreciate the offer. Not sure when it will be though. My wife and I are expecting our son to be born sometime this month. Probably come up after the baby is born so the family can play with him while I hunt! lol
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: