April 19, 2024, 07:01:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ab vs pitbull  (Read 4199 times)
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:43:40 pm »

Which do you think makes a better catch dog an American bulldog or a pitbull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »

Ether will do the job but don't be cheap when it's time to get one

DavidTBH
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »

Its hard to beat a game bread pit bull
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:08:52 pm »

Its hard to beat a game bread pit bull
what does game bred mean

WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:39:00 am »

All that its come to mean nowadays is that it had some fightin dogs in its ped!
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:15:07 am »

better is both relative and subjective. first what exactly do you expect in a catchdog? for examples:: will he be turned in at 20 yards or 200 yards from the bay/fight, will he have any help form the bay and or strike dogs , what type of country will you hunt in, will he be the only catchdog on each hog, how much stamina do you expect from the catchdog on each hunt, do you care if your catchdog is on injured reserve half the time, do you care of you are constantly replacin catchdogs due to death or serious injuries.all these and other qustions need to be answered before the answer of whats better can really be answered. then all dogs of a breed dont preform the same also. all that being said ive hunted with a lot of both breeds and have been lucky to have some real good ambulls.bottom line though is what the indivual dog does for me.
K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 07:31:13 am »

better is both relative and subjective. first what exactly do you expect in a catchdog? for examples:: will he be turned in at 20 yards or 200 yards from the bay/fight, will he have any help form the bay and or strike dogs , what type of country will you hunt in, will he be the only catchdog on each hog, how much stamina do you expect from the catchdog on each hunt, do you care if your catchdog is on injured reserve half the time, do you care of you are constantly replacin catchdogs due to death or serious injuries.all these and other qustions need to be answered before the answer of whats better can really be answered. then all dogs of a breed dont preform the same also. all that being said ive hunted with a lot of both breeds and have been lucky to have some real good ambulls.bottom line though is what the indivual dog does for me.

This is the best answer I think. I don't have pits but I've hunted a lot with one that was absolutely an awesome dog. Seen some since that I had no use for.  The bulldogs we have now satisfy me and that, I think, is the biggest part of the puzzle. It's like asking "which girl is the prettiest?" Depends on who ya ask. My granddad used to say "if everyone liked the same thing they'd all be after your grandma!"  Wink
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »

Ttt

UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 09:52:37 am »

Try the search funtion,,,,,this has been beat to death many,many times.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:33:48 am by UNDERDOG » Logged

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 12:39:21 pm »

Try the search funtion,,,,,this has been beat to death many,many times.
All that pops up is dogs for sale

Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 02:32:01 pm »

buckshot what are you lookig for in a catch dog? ill tell you what i like and why it might not be the best but i like pits, i like them because their smaller than the average size american bulldog, the american bulldogs take up as much room as 2 dogs can on a fourwheeler or in the dog box and it probable takes a little more food to keep a american bulldog at peak weight than a pit, and i hunt clearcuts and thickets so a big bulldog has a little hareder time getting through there and sound like a buffalo coming in, alot of people think a bulldog has to be 110lbs to hold a big hog but that is definetly not the case all you need is one that wont let go and be a distraction long enough for you to get the back leg. the pit i use now is alot bigger than what i like but it is what i got for the time being and hes real gentle and my old lady claims him so i guess ill use him til i have to find another. if you get a good pit he will die before he lets you down. but as long as your thinking about a pit or american your on the right road its when you start talking about a dogo is when your going backwards.
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »

buckshot what are you lookig for in a catch dog? ill tell you what i like and why it might not be the best but i like pits, i like them because their smaller than the average size american bulldog, the american bulldogs take up as much room as 2 dogs can on a fourwheeler or in the dog box and it probable takes a little more food to keep a american bulldog at peak weight than a pit, and i hunt clearcuts and thickets so a big bulldog has a little hareder time getting through there and sound like a buffalo coming in, alot of people think a bulldog has to be 110lbs to hold a big hog but that is definetly not the case all you need is one that wont let go and be a distraction long enough for you to get the back leg. the pit i use now is alot bigger than what i like but it is what i got for the time being and hes real gentle and my old lady claims him so i guess ill use him til i have to find another. if you get a good pit he will die before he lets you down. but as long as your thinking about a pit or american your on the right road its when you start talking about a dogo is when your going backwards.
I'm basically looking for a dog that will catch on sight and not let go no matter what and also a dog that will be ok around kids I've never owned a catch dog other than a catahoula that would catch smaller hogs or a large one with my friends catch dog they always use abs but I'm more interested in pits

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 06:35:29 pm »

I like a pit between 45 to 55 but 60 is ok. That size is what works best for me I don't care for the big monster pits to much dog it's the jaw you want not a tug of war lol

Indian Valley Ranch
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 06:40:38 pm »

Well, one thing for sure is not all AB'S are cut out for being a CD. If your friends have good AB'S that do their job and your still leaning toward a pit, then my advice would be find a hunter that breeds pits and has at least a few generations of good stable CD'S to get a pup from. There are plenty of good pit families out there that produce stable woods dogs. It's the same with AB'S, there are hunters breeding dogs that fit the description you listed above but it's a shorter list IMO. I started with AB'S and have stuck with them because they meet my expectations and with selective breeding, they pass on the traits I'm looking for consistently. Two big ones are Zero self preservation, and a hard bite when they are in the woods and act like there is something that resembles a brain between their ears everywhere else, bi polar bulldogs basically lol. Like Bo said, your fishing in the right pond, you can't go wrong with a good one from either breed. Hope you find what your looking for.

Britt Garcia
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 07:09:04 pm »

Well, one thing for sure is not all AB'S are cut out for being a CD. If your friends have good AB'S that do their job and your still leaning toward a pit, then my advice would be find a hunter that breeds pits and has at least a few generations of good stable CD'S to get a pup from. There are plenty of good pit families out there that produce stable woods dogs. It's the same with AB'S, there are hunters breeding dogs that fit the description you listed above but it's a shorter list IMO. I started with AB'S and have stuck with them because they meet my expectations and with selective breeding, they pass on the traits I'm looking for consistently. Two big ones are Zero self preservation, and a hard bite when they are in the woods and act like there is something that resembles a brain between their ears everywhere else, bi polar bulldogs basically lol. Like Bo said, your fishing in the right pond, you can't go wrong with a good one from either breed. Hope you find what your looking for.

Britt Garcia
thanks man

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:04 pm »

I own both breeds and I am happy with my dogs. My AB is 80# very tall and leggy and my pits are 75-95# also tall leggy dogs.I don't lead dogs very often and all will find and catch there own.At the moment every dog in my yard is a male (except a gyp pup)and I have zero aggression issues. I've read prior post on here from people saying that they don't run pits because they fight but you can't make mine fight so don't let ignorance steer you away from either breed.Find a dog from good dogs and keep them socialized and you'll be happy.I prefer big tall lean pits because I use them as RCD's and I like the size to handle a big hog till I get there.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 10:16:30 pm »

Cracker do those big Bulldogs tear off ears when they are caught for a few min till you get there just curious. I ain't have much luck with those big ones. My buddy has one bout 100 lbs. I got some 45 lb cuts that hold better than he does lol I had one that was a train he was bout 80 that cured me from big ones 

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 10:28:48 pm »

No not to many ears lost but it happens some times.My Redman dog has the hardest mouth I've ever seen 2 break sticks and 2 grown men most times.Their ears usually look pretty ruff when they heal no need for notchin lol.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:04 pm »

I'm supposed to be meeting with a guy about a pit next week

Buckshot71199
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 01:52:49 am »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZpkZbtiGE
Are dogos even catch dogs rotfl