April 28, 2024, 08:55:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PARVO-PUPPIES-IDEAS  (Read 2428 times)
lilmisshogdogger
Boar Slayer

"SHHH.... LISTEN"

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:50:10 am »

MY 6 MONTH OLD PUP HAD PARVO HE GOT IT FROM MY NEIGHBORS DOG, WE GAVE MY 10 WEEK OLD PUPS SHOTS AGAIN YESTERDAY THAT WE JUST GOT, AND A COUPLE MORE DOGS, THEY WERE REALLY GOOD YESTERDAY HAPPY RUNIN AROUND AND ALL AND NOW THEY ARE LAYED UP NOT MOVIN AT ALL AND BEARLY BREATHIN ALREADY, SO DO YALL HAVE ANY TIPS AND THINK I CAN SAVE THEM??? I FINALLY GOT MY RED BMC PUP I WANTED, ID REALLY LIKE TO SAVE THEM IF I CAN! 

~SAMANTHA FRAZIER~  
"REAL HOG HUNTERS DO IT DOGGIE STYLE"
boarwild
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

my wife raises rat terrier's and we got a new female that had parvo.  we took it to the vet and said it was probably not going to make it but we could try and give it electrolytes and it may live.  she pumped her with gatarode once an hour for two days.  That was a year ago and she is perfectly healthy.  also we were told by the vet and if i were you get clorax bleach in a little bit of water in a sprayer and spray it around your place.  Not sure if he really knew what he was saying but everything he said worked for us.  This are are known of my ideas but you can try it.

TDHA BOD
www.tdha.org

Get'em boys
kevin
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:08:25 pm »

If you know its parvo, you needs to keep them hydrated and wait for it it run its course.  If you have to give them fluids by mouth try giving them some pepto, or I use "flat" coke.  It will help coat their stomach.  Your best bet is lactated ringer.  Either in a vein or under the skin.  Under the skin is typically easier.  I give 50 ml 2 or 3 times a day.  You may have to put it in a couple of places.   
  Sometimes coccidiosis is mistaken for parvo.  If that is the case they need Albon.
  Anyone ever tried Tamiflu for Parvo? 

lilmisshogdogger
Boar Slayer

"SHHH.... LISTEN"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:35:55 pm »

WELL IM PRETTY SURE ITS PARVO, IT HAS THE HORRIBLE SMELL AND ALL, AND IM AT WORK SO I CANT DO ANYTHING NOW WHICH PROB IS GONNA REALLY NOT HELP I CNT BE THERE TO GIVE THEM FLUID EVERY HOUR OR WHATEVER, AN DI CANT TAKE OFF... SOOO, IMMA TRY TO GET MY MOM TO HELP, THNKS GUYS ANY MORE TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

~SAMANTHA FRAZIER~  
southtexasff
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:41:14 pm »

I have had several pups in the past get parvo.  It is a b**ch to treat.  If you have access to lactated ringers (believe that is what they are called) get you a couple of them.  You give 200ml twice a day under thier skin. They will look like a camel with a big hump on thier back.  Thier body will absorb it and it keeps it from upsetting the stomach. Isolate them from the other dogs.  If it has started with the bloody stool you can try giving it pepto to coat the stomach lining.  No food or water until it recovers and then start gradualy with soft foods like scammbled eggs.  I was told if you get gatorade and pour out about 3 oz and  replace it with 3oz of bleach give it to the pup a little through out the day it will kill the parvo virus in the stomach. I have never tried it but it seems like an extreme last resort.

On your other pups you gave the shot to yesterday, when you give them the shot you introduce the virus into the body.  They might just be feeling ill because of the shot.  The body will build immunity to the virus.  Thats why its important to keep up with the shots on pups and try to give them to them exactly when it is time.

Also if it is parvo, once its in your ground you probably shouldn't have pups on the ground until they are completely vaccinated.  On the last litter of bulldogs I raised it built platform in the kennel of the ground about 2'.  The pups didnt set foot on the ground until about 5 months old and fully vaccinated.  Even then i kept a watch on them for any signs.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:45:23 pm by southtexasff » Logged
trey brown
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »

I GOT MINE THROUGH WITH 2 CC OF PEPTO 3 TIMES FOR ONE DAY AND FEED THEM GATORADE THROUGH A SURINGE FOR 3 TO 4 DAYS UNTIL THEY GET BETTER
lilmisshogdogger
Boar Slayer

"SHHH.... LISTEN"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:03:15 pm »

WELL THANKS GUYS, LIL RED (MY DOG) DIDNT MAKE IT, SUX FINALLY GOT MY RED CUR PUP O WELL IF THERE AINT ON ETHING I LEEARNED FROM ALL THESE YEARS IS DOGS DIE PERIOD DONT GET TO CLOSE TO THEM, BUT THE OTHER PUP MY SISTERS LIVED, I GAVE THEM PEPTO AND A MIXED A LIL BLEACH WITH GATORADE, SO ANYWAYS THANKS GUYS FOR THE TIPS!

~SAMANTHA FRAZIER~  
Beejay
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:56:32 pm »

Sorry to hear about your dog.  If I were you I would purchase a couple of ringers just in case you have to fight this again.  I have saved quite a few dogs and lost a few to parvo.  I use to raise pits and once I had it on my yard every litter I had after had problems.  I've had puppies go into shock over night. Parvo will kill them quick.  You have to watch your dogs close to catch it quick.  I would administer fluids under the skin constantly.  Go between the front sholder blades, when a big bubble form switch to the rear of the dog, around the kidney area.  Keep rotating like this while monitoring the dogs temp.  If temp would start dropping I would turn the heater on in the bathroom, close the door and put the dog in bathroom while still giving fluids.  This will keep their temp up.  I have saved a dog before having to do this for about 3 days straight. I've also had them perk up in about a day. I tend to believe it affects all of them different, even littermates.  I have also had some that I could not save.  Anyway sorry again and hope this helps for next time.
chapa69
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:01:58 pm »

We had one just die to found her last night. The other one we got with her is playin around like nothing is wrong though...sorry to hear bout your pup
coach
Alpha Dog

Getting it done!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35:40 pm »

Keep them hydrated either way you want it works. Put some honey on their gums to give them some sugar in their body. rice water and some raw liver and raw eggs in a blender they only need 2 to 4 cc every 3 hrs. Pepto will help coat the stomach have had alot more live than die thats for sure. Clean all food bowl with clorox. Use stainless steel bowls and keep clean and change water regularly. I also give them 3cc of ammoxcillin 3x a day.

"You don't need more dogs, just better one's.!!!" --- my Dad lol

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when your stupid!!!." The John Wayne

"Be good, or be good at it!!!"
lilmisshogdogger
Boar Slayer

"SHHH.... LISTEN"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:15:41 pm »

AGAIN THANKS GUYS THE BROTHER PUP IS DOIN JUST FINE, FIGURES ID SAVE MY SISTERS DOG AND NOT MINE  Angry ... LOL O WELL SH!T HAPPENS... THANKS ALL THE TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND WILL BE KEPT IN MIND FOR NEXT TIME...SAMANTHA FRAZIER

~SAMANTHA FRAZIER~  
make-em-squeel
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:30:10 pm »

Sorry this is to late but other than takinig the hydration advice from kevin i have saved pups with a syringe of watered down bleach! Just like it kills it on concrete it has saved a litter of pups for me, got the advice from an old coon hunter who had been doggin 25 yrs and it worked. .02
Beejay
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 09:03:42 pm »

Make-em-squeel are you serious about the bleach, cause i have never heard this before. I am interested, how much do you give and how often?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: