April 20, 2024, 07:14:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barr hogs  (Read 1592 times)
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »

What's the longest time frame from when you cut the hog til you caught him agin?
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:33:10 pm »

Mine was 11 yrs, In 1997 I was at my maw's house when 1 of her brothers pulled up had a shoat that he caught getting in his garden. I took him down the back pasture and cut and marked him. Caught him bout 7 miles away in 2008 weighed 365 had 3in on the left and 3.5 on the right. 1 of my friends that was with me had him mounted. My wife put all my pics on the computer I don't know how to get to them. I'll get her to load it.
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »

I'd like to see them picture's.  Neat story. I'll probably get smacked around for this but I've never barred, or intentionally released any hogs. Every property I've ever had permission for was kill on the spot or someone else would get rights to the land.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »

How would they know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:20 pm »

By ther mark if they marked him or by memory. Ain't every hog black!
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 09:24:59 pm »

I'm just saying it would be hard for that person to say this person barred this hog. Plus your the one catching the hogs not them so unless your write your name on him and the land owner shoots him I don't see how they would know. But I agree I don't Barr hogs on any of the places except our personal land. And I tag them with a cow tag write the number in a book the weight and when and where I caught it. And yes every adjoining landowner knows I tag them from time to time and I'll get a call saying hey we got one of your hogs on camera come catch him he's a monster lol or they call and tell me how big this hog they shot was with my tag.

hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:21 pm »

365 for 11 years that hog had to be on his downfall. I caught one and tagged him and a buddy caught him last year which was 4 years after and that sob was like 440 I'll find a pic he was a monster for sure

hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 09:29:45 pm »

Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:38:47 pm »

If you have a mark that you ben putting on hogs for thirty years it's kinda hard not to know you were the 1 that did it. You catch a hog that's a red hamp with two stocking feet he's kinda hard to forget  or a spotted sow that's got a spot that looks like a horse head on her right side probly caught her 6-7 times over the years kinda hard to forget! That's what I'm talking about. Where I'm from if you catch a Barr toting some 1's mark you know you call the man and tell him, that man might say bring him to me I need some meat or he might say he's yours do whatever! That's how it is here. And as far as him weighing 365, I ges the sumbuk  had bad genes I ain't got an explanation for that 1!!
sanman
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:07 pm »

Buddy had 5 hogs in a trailer when Hurricane Rita hit us in 2005. There had never been any hogs in that area, at all. He had cut the boars. He had a guy feeding them for him and he left the gate open. They shot 4 hogs off the road near his house within a year. Deer hunter only ever had one hog on camera. Caught him,  Barr hog, in 2013 across the street about,  3/4 mile. 336 lbs.

Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:13 pm »

I don't know how much truth is in what I'm about to say, but ,an older gentleman from hamburg Arkansas told me if you cut a boar between the 100-150pd range they really bloom well and grow off good. That was bout 15 yrs ago and he was in his mid to late 80's I just listened to what he had to say, he'd put his knife on way more than I had!
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:30 pm »

Not color blind I'm not questioning you on how would you know if you barred it. When I said how would they know that was to the guy saying I don't bar bc I don't wanna lose my spots

Not color blind
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:20:51 pm »

I see what you are saying, loosing spots if you have limited spots to hunt could be an issue. My 13yr old and his little buddys had me build them a trap they could pull behind the 4 wheeler, they wrote down what all they caught and cut where at what colors they were, they've cut 34 since the 1st the year! There's 1 older gentleman bout 75 that lives across the woods from us, he goes with them pretty regular, he gets a kick out of it says them boys take him back to the good old days!
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 11:22:21 pm »

When Bars start showing up it don't matter who did it. The assumption is the guy that runs dogs on the place.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 05:50:39 am »

All I do is Barr and release, and we catch quite a few of em.  The hogs genetics have ALOT to do with just how big he's gonna grow off to be, AND it takes a lot of time for a hog to reach 350+ much less over 400. They just don't get that big overnight.

Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:40 am »

How would they know?

they probably wouldn't, but if I get permission for some land (which is EXTREMELY hard to do in my area) and the land owner says if I hunt the land he wants any hogs that I come into contact with to be killed, then that's what I'm going to do. Out of respect for the land owner.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 04:14:25 am »

We caught this Barr last year in the middle of summertime. We ran this sucker almost 5 hours before he bayed up. I didn't barr this hog, but he is the oldest Barr hog I've ever caught. He had the frame to be a BIG hog, but he was on the down hill slide and I don't know just how long he would have made it. I boiled his head, and found this knot, his teeth were rotten on this side, and they were worn smooth on the other side.

sanman
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 12:35:48 pm »

Looks like an old calcified abscess Ben. His teeth were in bad shape
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: