April 27, 2024, 01:27:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Panel Trap  (Read 6435 times)
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:23:58 am »

Thought I'd get a few insights into this Idea......

How would welding portable panels out of the tall (54-60"x16') cattle panels say about 4 of them and a gate all connected with pins work as a hog trap, and if somebody already did this do you have pics?

uva uvam videndo varia fit
Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
RL
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »

Yes, but don't make them 16' long.  I made mine 8' in length.  Very quick and easy to set up.  Pins together.  You can put a feeder in the middle.  Here is a pic.

This is a boar I caught last month.  I've caught as many as 12 in the trap at once.
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:31 pm »

I was thinking of 8'ers but usally where the pigs are here it's open enough that 16' would still be easy to use. It also looks like you used two sets of hog panels, how tall is the trap from top to bottom?

Like having my own little fuzzy convict, he steals, is violent and from what I saw him doing to his teddy bear obviously sexually frustrated.
RL
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:18:17 am »

I was thinking of 8'ers but usally where the pigs are here it's open enough that 16' would still be easy to use. It also looks like you used two sets of hog panels, how tall is the trap from top to bottom?
About 44" to the top bar.  Then I had barbed wire above that.  That holds most pigs.  But a couple of years ago I trapped a rank boar (twice) and he just crawled over the top.  So I added some more wire panel to the top.  If I was building them again, I would make it 60" or so  ...  and leave the wire extending over that  ...  with barbs protruding.

Also, I am changing out the gate.  I have ordered an "Iron Curtain" gate from Jay Dore that I plan to use with these panels.
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:59:18 am »

That's why I was thinking of using the utility panels, they're about 50-54" tall then put a 6-8" rail on top of that for a height of about 56-62" tall panel. What's the Iron curtain gate look like? I was going to use saloon door gates for mine.

capt jack
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »

that is a good looking trap, rl has. but i agree with you i like the saloon doors better.
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 03:58:02 pm »

Yea I like the saloon door style but I still want to see what this Iron curtain is all about.

RL
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:53:57 am »

i like the saloon doors better.
I've never used saloon doors.  Tell me about them and why you prefer them.  Do they close flush? 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:48:00 pm by RL » Logged
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:25:12 am »

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/trap.cfm

It has alot of other stuff about trapping hogs but it shows the best pics of a saloon door. Now what about this Iron Curtain RL you got my curiosity up!!! Grin Grin

I like the saloon door cuz they open from the side and does not rub on the pigs back, which makes it more continuous trapping IMHO. It also has less moving parts and the springs to close the doors don't have to be huge.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:27:17 am by Russ » Logged

RL
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54:10 pm »

Russ, I couldn't find a pic of Jay's Iron Curtain on the internet.  It is a rooter gate with each bar swinging independently.  This way, if a pig enters  ...  only the bars he pushes up move.  Eliminates a hog standing under a gate allowing other hogs to escape.  He also made it to where all the bars are suspended when it is set so that the entry is wide open  ...  creating the same effect that the saloon doors have when they are set open.
Russ
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:28:10 pm »

Gotcha, he made a hog size version of what we used to trap pigeons. Sounds good!!!

TrapperT
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 10:28:26 pm »

My trap is triangle i built it by framing out  16 foot cattle panels with 2 inch square tubing not the light weight stuff  pins together like portable cattle chutes set up back one then the two sides drive one t post in the middle of each one and then just lay another unframed panel across the top at the back of the pen so they cant jump the gate is five foot swing door gate only 3/4s of it swings i ran a small cable to a pin that slides threw two washers one on the gate one on the side of the panel the other end of the cable runs outside the pen and down the panel to the back where it cuts across the corner only about three feet long and is scurely fastened to back panel , I dont have pictures of it now but i can take some and send to you if you want , the only thing i sugest do this is smaller holed panels loose alot of baby pigs walking threw the sides , let me know somthing Thanks Troy
CBH
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 09:45:09 pm »

We've got one like that and it works good. Its a little smaller though and we have a bar running parrallel to the sides that is extended out about 10" so they can't climb out.
BOSS HOGG
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:54 pm »

dam that's a bad@$$ trap! how much you charge to make one?

I gotta pack'a pigs Bayed tight in'a Bryar patch!! -945 BOAR BUSTERS-
RL
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:42 am »

dam that's a bad@$$ trap! how much you charge to make one?

If you're referring to my trap I don't make them for people.  Just made a few for myself.

I don't post out here very often.  Can't remember the last time.  Just happened to be bouncing around the internet today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: