April 20, 2024, 05:16:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hog Hunting on Horses  (Read 1684 times)
cowboyup
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:09 pm »

For the guys that hunt on horses. Show off yalls pictures and tell how yall carry your catch dogs and drag the pigs out. And any other information about it. I've been hunting off my horse but find it challenging to carry my catch dog around on my horse.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:34:05 pm »

I'm excited for this topic I  got 2 trail horses that I'm about to start training for hog hunting.I don't plan on carrying a catch dog just running ruff dogs but I am going to try to get them to drag and carry hogs.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:28:03 am »

I got some friends that do it one had a set trained good enough they would just stay by the horse till he told them to go. Ol buster had one that rode on a modified saddle bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K-Bar
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »

We don't do it as much any more but we used to hunt only on mules. We just led the catch dogs with us. We were lucky and had great minded dogs and mules so we didn't have any wrecks, but I've heard some stories I wouldn't want to be a part of.  Grin
I love hunting on the mules but the danged wheelers will spoil you. They also make a sorry horse or mule. If you have a big enough place to hunt, the mules or horses are great in my opinion. Less noise, so to me that's less stress. That's a big part of the hunt to me. Relax and enjoy it.
Dragging out the pig is also a down side. Having a wheeler in the group is awfully nice even when hunting on mules to haul out the pigs.
shadygrovehawgdawg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »

I hunt mostly horseback. You have to have catchdogs that mind and you can trust. Ours stay with the horses, I have a really good pit right now I wouldn't take a months wages for.  We rarely kill the hogs and haul them or drag them out. I have a good young horse I ride and put them in the saddle with me and go. It takes some miles on them horses to be able to do it, but in my opinion most horses nowadays don't get rode and used nearly enough. There are some pictures on here I put on before packing some hogs out. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. You have to really leg up them bulldogs too. 
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:26:21 am »

That's the only way I'll hunt nowadays. Get a long leash for your catch dog, I go with one guy that's got a couple cow dogs that will catch anything if you yip at them so they just stay with us until we get them to catch or if we get lucky we can get a hog in an opening and get some nylon on them.

Just recently got a new phone so I don't have many pictures. Mad far as dragging the hogs out, put a rope around their snout and take off!

Seth Gillespie
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:57:05 am »

Cool pics that looks like fun what's that hairy dog in the picture

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
c dunn
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 07:01:36 am »

With a little training around the house you can get your catchdog to stay with you by voice command. That's if it's a dog that'll listen. E collar gets their attention. But I start with a leash then progress to ecollar
Pwilson_10
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:20:47 pm »

I put mine in between me and he saddle horn when dogs bay up but other then that he walks on my right side next to the horse

Bigdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 03:27:57 pm »

Teach the catch to stay right by ur horse. It's easy to do.we haul our hogs out in the saddle ride behind.two guys can load a big hog.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 08:05:58 am »

Hairy dog is actually a ridgeback/catahoula. He's a cow dog that just stays with us until someone tells him to go catch something

Seth Gillespie
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »

Hairy dog is actually a ridgeback/catahoula. He's a cow dog that just stays with us until someone tells him to go catch something

More like a catahoula X Milkman! (:

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »

Hahahaha  Embarrassed I needed that one today. There is a possibility but a very very small one

Seth Gillespie
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 09:19:56 pm »

Hahahaha  Embarrassed I needed that one today. There is a possibility but a very very small one

Looks like one of silverton boar dogs hairy beasts snuck in your yard. I like them hairy dogs!

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: