April 25, 2024, 04:46:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poacher style blackmouth curs  (Read 7845 times)
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:47 pm »

Fine looking dogs yall !! I am getting into these yella dog's and man do I get lost in some stories I find online regarding breeding and history on some of the dogs. !!!

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 06:32:26 am »

YBM good looking dogs.Reuben you're correct on the Cambell Curs pit birddog maybe a bit of hound or who knows what in the mix but I bet that is where they get there grit them dogs are definitely ruff although everyone I have seen hunt or own are definitely go yonder long range dogs.Sounds like those poacher dogs would be excellent Airboat dogs wind and catch.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 11:10:04 am »

Here is another cur dog that is relentless on a hog not much bay to her she will try to catch until she does. If you hear her screaming at the pig you best have your stuff ready lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 11:34:06 am »

YBM good looking dogs.Reuben you're correct on the Cambell Curs pit birddog maybe a bit of hound or who knows what in the mix but I bet that is where they get there grit them dogs are definitely ruff although everyone I have seen hunt or own are definitely go yonder long range dogs.Sounds like those poacher dogs would be excellent Airboat dogs wind and catch.

I think YBM is referring to a set of dogs outta East Texas owned by the Campbell's, not the Campbell curs outta Georgia, two completely different set of dogs.  I might be wrong, but I don't think I am especially after looking at the pictures of the yeller dogs he posted.

The Campbell name is just associated with them Georgia dogs because they were advertised and talked up so heavily.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:58 am »

You're probably right about ybm dogs but the Cambell name on them Georgia dogs comes from Gary Cambell the man who made the Cambell Cur.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:33 pm »

Yes that's the Georgia dogs I was referring to, Campbell started em, and they use to be promoted pretty hard, so the it's an automatic association with the name Campbell nowadays.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »

You gentlemen are correct. The Campbell name would be from a family specifically around the Liberty County Texas area.

I however am not familiar with it, but my partner grew up down there and had ties directly into those folks.

There are the type Yellers dogs I grew up with as a teenager. The hogs hardly ever ran back then and a rough pair of Yeller dogs is all you needed to hunt,  bay and catch anything that squealed.

As the Russian influence increased around here I began to breed for adaptation, longer ranged, colder nosed, and increased bottom. That's where the Yellers I keep now came out of. I still prefer this type Yeller dog vs the Poacher style, but its just due to being used to a certain style for so long.

I have and still do keep some of the old style around for certain circumstances but I don't activity breed them here.  My partner however does and keeps his own stock across the woods in those specific line of dogs.
Walkerhuntfish
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »

Ybm wasn't y'all messing around with some breeding with the intent of straight catch yellas? If so how's that project looking or is it still in top secret development stage?
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 11:54:11 pm »

We played with the project for couple seasons and were successful in my opinion on being able to re-create some straight catchers.

The negative part of that was.........we couldn't raise them faster than we were losing them.
A high % were culled back to RCD vs Straight Catch because they wouldn't dedicate it all to catching and holding no matter what.

The ones that did make the cut, didn't last long enough for us to breed them a second time.... Very frustrating to say the least.

In the end we decided to just produce the cob rough yellers that would hold a bull by themselves but would catch and stretch a grizzly with a pair. They seem to stay alive longer ran in pairs.

Three of them yeller convicts....were just cruel and unusual punishment!   Evil
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »

Yeah I'm trying for this style
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:24 pm »

Yeah I'm trying for this style

How is that young dog from Lamar shaping up? Also didn't you get some of those gumbo X pups off your old gyp? Curious to how they turned out as well?
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 06:49:37 pm »

Yes and yes both doing good rough rough not quite full catch but durn close
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 08:44:45 pm »

Awesome. Glad to hear they are getting some.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 08:11:22 pm »

I bred that gyp of mine back to the dog out of gumbo and Dixie but afraid she had a miscarriage a couple days ago she was bleeding and a bloody mass but I didn't see no pups idk started her on penicillin. So will know in about 2 weeks for sure.  Really want pups out 93 her one more time I lost the three I had out of her and gumbo but got the male from Lauren danials he is ok just a big pup still waiting on him to mature a little and think he will be ok he so far is a bark or 2 and latch on so think he will work.  So or just now sitting down to reply.  he is super high energy but smaller in stature. So took after gumbo in energy and lolla in stature but seems to have a good head on him so hope he is smart as his momma and thinks like her.  For my style of hunting she is about the best I have found now if she was 4 inches taller lol
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 09:29:53 pm »

Do you fellas add bull dog to your curs to get them to catch. I don't but I know a lot do

YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 10:51:49 pm »

Do you fellas add bull dog to your curs to get them to catch. I don't but I know a lot do

No sir.

Not a big fan of pits.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 11:00:13 pm »

Few of the YBM we were successful on getting to be straight catch...no bark!
Sadly they all met the same fate!

BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 11:24:26 pm »

So none of them catchen yellers had any hunt?
BOBDOG
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 11:36:39 pm »

Back when it seemed to me cur dogs were rougher in general. I use to hear old timers say, "Yea, the will catch if you raise them as catch dogs."
The concept was to school them by  never putting them on a hog they could not catch and gradually increasing what that was. We utilize a similar  concept when training police and protection dogs. The decoy is a little pig in the beginning and becomes bigger and bigger as the dog gains confidence and skill.  Thoughts?
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 02:41:05 am »

Bobdog that's what I did with rough stock and it works good with some dogs

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: