March 29, 2024, 06:42:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running 1 bay dog 1 catch dog  (Read 3218 times)
cowboyup
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:01 pm »

Exactly what the title says. Any of yall do that? Or if you run one bay dog do you have two catch dogs? Or a rcd in there with the one bay and one catch. What's yall philosophy on this?
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »

It's the simplest way to hunt there is.  You can bay more big hogs this way and a lot of them hogs everyone can't catch cuz they run to bad using one dog and send in a GOOD bulldog and catch em.  It's hard to train replacements and young dogs though that way.

You better have a HOG DOG though cuz hunting a dog by itself really allows you to see just what you're feeding.
koyote76
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:47 am »

before i moved to Texas from Georgia that's really the only way i hunted.

its really best way to hunt when your by yourself.

makes for better dogs in the long run. you can bay some nice hogs this way and in my experience less cut down dogs. also if your hunting a lot keeps dogs fresh. hunt one dog all night and hunt a different dog all day etc...

the only problem with this style is when you have dogs that get it done this way, and you want to hunt them with other dogs they usually end up catching out. most of my dogs will bay solo but as soon as another dog shows up rather it be a pit bull or a songbird he is gonna catch.

i love this way of hunting as it really lets you see what type of dog you got and also it has taught me more about hog and dog behaviors.

ideally if you have two well mannered/trained catch dogs and one baydog is the way to go.

“If you don’t have as much grit as your dogs then you don’t deserve to have them.”
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:20:47 am »

I do it time to time to see where a dog is. It will truly show you what you are feeding that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:55:59 am »

its a older man i use to hunt with alot that use to hunt like this he would just use one bay dog and 1 sometimes 2 bulldogs just depending on the help he had that day. he would usually just ride the dog on the front of the fourwheeler or the back of the truck and wait on him to jump off or either road hunt the dog. but that was a long time ago, and times have changed alot. i think it would be fun but like i said times have changed alot, when he did this it wasnt hardly any clear cuts around here mostly open swamp land where it would be easy to walk a mile if needed and dogs were easier to train in open woods, now with all the clearcuts and briar thicekts i cant hunt one dog and get anything trained like i like them to be, i like to turn out three at onetime
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:16:25 pm »

I've got 1 bay dog and 1 pit that I  hunt by themselves.  The bay dog will catch with my pit.   They are an awsome team and are best buddies too.     
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:21:12 pm »

I like this way my self, like was stated above you can catch more and bigger hogs, down side is if you send two Bulldogs they always want to race one another in there creating a lot of racket, better have good mannered catch dogs that are precision catchers. With that being said I love a good race myself and if they want to run we'll keep packing to them until the hogs lungs explode or we'll try to catch some dogs off and put a fesh one on him, they'll usually bay after that.
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:14:15 pm »

That's the way I have always hunted. So much easier that way. I started hunting a pup with that one dog and when he caught on I started hunting him solo. Then started a pup behind that dog and so on. Catch a lot of big hogs that way. But if they can't do it by theirself at a year and half they ain't eating here

FLCracker
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:30:09 pm »

This is how I hunt. Every dog I own will hunt by there self and I prefer it this way. We usually bring 2/3 curs and 1 bulldog and rotate after a caught hog. It will really show you what your feeding. Most dogs you turn out alone won't leave past the headlights on a dark night with no wind or get off the back of the truck. I expect each dog I feed to find and bay hogs alone. Those are just my expectations I know different strokes for different folks. But it only takes 1 dog to find and bay a hog and there's only 2 ears to catch it.

Matt
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 08:35:29 pm »

I hunt one dog out a LOT. My favorite way to hunt. I used to hunt my old Dixie alone and used her littermate brother Rock as a lead in catch dog. Caught a train load of hogs with just those two dogs that way.

I hunted my Monkey dog that way a lot too, just didn't have a CD I trusted enough to just use him & Monkey. When a dog goes to Monkey's bay he is going to catch the hog and if the CD misses or doesn't catch it would be bad for Monkey. Plus, I hunt alone most of the time and at...ummm... NOT 30 years old anymore its tough to handle a cur dog, CD and a good hog by yourself without getting in a bind. Especially in the thick cutovers I hunt in.

But I am of a mind that hunting one dog out will show you just what kind of dog you REALLY have. If they can't find, run, stop, and bay a hog, by themselves with no help, they will never be a top dog in my book.

I have loaded Monkey up and drove two hours to hunt without taking another dog. That's how much confidence I had in him. Monkey turned 11 in June so now I need another one like that!!

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 03:45:13 pm »

This is the only way I hunt. Either just 2 curs, or a cur and lead in bulldog! You do not need a box full of dogs to find, stop, and catch hogs!!

warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »

Once he/she has found one, a good cur dog should be able to perform both these tasks. I prefer mine to be short range and have lots of handle. A dog like this can be put on the ground anywhere and produce pork alone. I'm a good enough "woodsman" to get them within striking distance, no matter what the terrain. Wink

Catchin hogs cracker style
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 08:50:09 pm »

I like to hunt like that from time to time. But for me I like to hunt with my sons and they have there own dogs and I hunt with a few buddy's so kinda hard to do that besides hunting is fun with friends and family

dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »

Judge how old where your boys when they started hunting with u

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »

I have been taking them hunting since diapers but that was a mistake lol. I have had hunting dogs off and on due to traveling for work and moving cross country while my two youngest where small it was to hard to take them and controll them but they been hard at it since 11 and 13. My youngest since around 12 yrs old has out done every man that has hunted with me the older boy was a slower developer then his brother but make no mistake about it these boys will out work out man most men and bout 95 % of hunters very easy just the way I raised em and they respect woman and are very honest and mature young men   

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 09:23:11 pm »

My oldest is 28 I took him from very young age as well he hunted every time I did for the most part I don't think he has hunted since he was 17 on our last hunt. You know it just ain't for some fellas and gals. My daughter use to go hunting and fishing to but since grown very few times with ol daddy I had to except that this is just life few yrs back but the youngest love hunting and fishing with me so we go as much as momma can stand cuz when there gone that's it lol

Florida Curdog
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 09:05:08 am »

I hunt solo 99% of the time. I usually take one dog with me sometimes two.  I expect my dogs to do it all solo. If they can't. They don't stay here.

Smiling like a killer
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 05:45:39 pm »

Fl curdog not being smart butt. So every dog you have will find stop and catch any hog by itself man those must be some darn good dogs. I have extremely rough dogs that catch on sight most times than not they will pull a hog apart if I have two or three on the ground not that they can't do it alone I just like them to be alive not dead lol. Are yours straight cur or heavy on the bulldog ?

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:47 pm »

I completely understand the point in running one dog to show you what that dog is but if I have a couple buddies to help me I want to catch multiple hogs at the same time.Most times hogs ain't alone and I might be greedy but I want to catch em.Sunday morning was another prime example had four dogs on the ground busted a good boar and sow and caught both at the same exact time that is exciting to me and happens quite a bit.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »

I hunt solo 99% of the time. I usually take one dog with me sometimes two.  I expect my dogs to do it all solo. If they can't. They don't stay here.
Wink

Catchin hogs cracker style
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: