April 24, 2024, 06:31:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Size of your Dogs  (Read 1442 times)
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:24:59 am »

What size  of dog do yall like to keep in yalls yard. I noticed  some hunter's have dogs that under 50lbs including catch dogs and some have big curs and big catch dogs. So what do yall like to keep in yalls yard and why is it cuase of feed bill,less dogs needed with big dogs or its just what you have always had?

IF YOUR DUMB YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!!!
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:26 am »

I think a lot of the size is just based off the line of dogs you're raising.  Some lines produce bigger dogs, but I'm sure people have a preference like with anything else. I like a medium sized long legged cur dog with a small to medium sized bulldog about 50-60 lbs.

I've seen them some small framed cur dogs be hell on a hog in a thick briar patch when they wanna run and then I've seen some of them bigger framed cur dogs that look alil slower blow everything out the water as far as speed goes in the same country. Guess you can't judge a book by it's cover.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:59:11 am »

If a dog gets the job done in all aspects of hunting and is better than most in the country you hunt, then he is the perfect size. Performance should be the standard for all traits, from size, to brains, to want to and so on.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:43:35 am »

If a dog gets the job done in all aspects of hunting and is better than most in the country you hunt, then he is the perfect size. Performance should be the standard for all traits, from size, to brains, to want to and so on.

Your right as long as they get the job done me myself would like to get a few dogs under  50 lbs that that can still get it done.  I have a small yard is the main reason. But thats just me.

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »

I have curs in the 45 to 55 range and I have some big heavier dogs I feel like a mixture of dogs is a better tool box than all the same just me tho. If the dog can produce nothing else really matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DPT
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:15 pm »

My catchdog is my biggest dog and he might be 60 while my littlest dog is about 30 wen shes not fat. I dont hold anythang against a dogs size if they get after and do work. If it aint broke dont fix it way i see it.

Talk low, talk slow and dont talk to much.
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:35:13 pm »

My dogs are around 80 pounds.   Some more some less.   I run stags and also wolfhound cross dogs though.
l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 03:53:05 pm »

In general I prefer a little larger dog I only have one small dog he's about 35# the rest of my curs are from 60-75# and my catch dogs from 75-95# but I really just ended up with the larger dogs because they're the ones who made the cut my 35# dog stops hogs as well.They're also all males not by choice either they just worked the best for me.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 06:32:18 pm »

My biggest dog is bout 80 85 running weight and he is a hell of a stud on a hog

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 07:22:33 pm »

I like my dogs about yay high

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »

And that is about the right size lol

mattr
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »

I have a plott/bmc that weighs 35 lbs soaking wet and it is an old gal  now. But she will get the job done about as good as any as I know

Drill here drill now
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 11:03:18 pm »

Average weight of my bay dogs is about 50 pounds. Got a RCD that goes mid 70's. Bulldogs in the low 60's. One big cat gyp runs bout 70 or so. I don't go looking for big or lil dogs nor do I down one for size either. I do feel that I lean to the bigger dogs tho.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:34:33 am »

I prefer my dogs around 28 to 30 inches tall.  80 to 85 pounds,  the dogs I run that don't have a double suspension gate I want to be extremely athletic and bend with a pig as it cuts to try to make the dog miss.  The dog with a double  suspension gate such as a stag, I do not expect to track with a hog when it cuts hard but they should get lined out on Iit again very quickly.     When both dogs are lined out on the same pig, the stag will make the pig cut hard and the lurcher will be there to cut the corner and pick the pig up.   Even if it doesn't pick the pig up emmediatly,  the lurcher will track with the pig.   The stag will be there on top of the pig a few seconds after it initially over runs it and both dogs will be in a catch position if the hog isn't caught by now.   Good luck shaking the dogs again at this point lol.       
    Usually the dogs will catch their own and don't work together on the same pig.    This is fine and actually prefered but they must be able to hold and control the pig by themselves.   This is why I prefer the height and the weight.    I don't run one out intentionally but if my dogs are gonna catch their own, they must be able to hold and control the pig by themselves no matter if it's a stag or lurcher.          If a stag can't handle a good pig by itself then it would be a poor decision on my part to pair it with another dog that prefers to catch it's own.      Height and weight are benifical to my dogs and my style of hunting.     
TazD
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 05:43:35 am »

I like my females 50-55lblbs, and my males 65-70lbs, long legged, big chests, and hunt to catch/kill. Obviously they have to be able to find, stop, and catch! I do not want more then 4-5 dogs in my yard, and only hunt 1-2 dogs at a time with a bulldog in tow just for backup if needed!!
I do not buy that the littler dogs get through the thick spots better then a big dog. I hunt thick nasty swamps and palmetto thickets and my dogs motor right through them, trail or no trail!
Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »

Pressa 155lbs
Corso   130lbs
Dogo.   95 lbs
Pit.       45 lbs

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
dallas22
Alpha Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 04:40:33 pm »

Pressa 155lbs
Corso   130lbs
Dogo.   95 lbs
Pit.       45 lbs

What do use for striking

Fixitlouie
Boar Slayer

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:20 pm »

Mikes dogs. Lol. Unless small property or running rough dogs ill leave dogo on ground...

bay, catch, barr, repeat...
Black Streak
Alpha Dog

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:01 pm »

Mikes dogs. Lol. Unless small property or running rough dogs ill leave dogo on ground...

I got a good kick out of that.   
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »

I prefer medium size females @ 40-43 lbs.  Not too leggy, but not short- I'll even take a little stalky. 

I only will keep tall and plus size male bulldogs- around 75-80 lbs.

With all that being said, I don't have a lot of what I would prefer, but like bolo said, I hunt what works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: