March 28, 2024, 12:11:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use the dog sperm bank?  (Read 2541 times)
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:35:20 pm »

All this talk of line breeding and saving and loosing genetics got me wondering if anyone on here gets sperm from their best males frozen. I have a male thats irreplaceable and I have not taken him hunting in a while and I wont until I take him by the sperm bank and get some of his semen on Ice. I know to many guys that have lost their best males and I always ask them why they didnt take him to the sperm bank and they always reply I didnt know you could do that. Theres one 3 hours from my house, costs a few hundred bucks and 200 per year to save it in a cryo freezer, you can keep it in your own freezer but your old lady might wind up tossing it, or putting it in your wheaties if you p her off (:

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:08:37 pm »

i was going to do it with 1 of mine , i got to thinking he was getting on up there and their wasn't much of that blood left . was gonna save semen for a future outcross . the week before i was supposed to go got called to catch a bull that jumped out of a bucking chute , 4 other fences and hit a thicket . we found him , was trying to ease him out to a better spot to get a trailer to and he changed zipcodes again . tracked to him on the garmin 3/4 of a mile away and got him caught and loaded but bo was not to be seen . i knew he was dead cause he wasn't there , got too hot .

moral to the story ,if your gonna do it don't wait .
koyote76
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »

I did it to two of mine not too long ago. Huge weight lifted off my shoulders knowing I got them collected.

“If you don’t have as much grit as your dogs then you don’t deserve to have them.”
Walkerhuntfish
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:57:17 pm »

I know a bunch of fellas with squirrel dogs that done it. Well worth it to go back on something that has passed on. But one guy I know also had a good stud dog that reproduce well also. He did not collect him because he said that kind of stuff was like living in the past. Why do that when there is always progression in the breed was his stance on the subject. So like everything else there is more than one way to look at it. One big breeder used it as a means of getting dogs bred all over the country with it also. Easy to ship straws with dry ice across country and let gyps owner go to his vet and have her bred by a.i.
koyote76
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:01:33 pm »

Hog dogs in general dont live as long as squirrel dogs lol.

“If you don’t have as much grit as your dogs then you don’t deserve to have them.”
Goose87
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:04:35 pm »

Myself and a few buddies are about to have some done, I'm scared the one male my buddy has is going to get killed before we can do it and I'm waiting on it to cool off to have mine done, I don't hunt mine anymore so I'm not to much concerned, jhodges on here has had it done and recommend to use the Sperm Up sold by Tom Garner, he's hooked me up with a place here in southeast La that does it.
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:24:27 pm »

The LSU bet school does it in south la and sends it to a independat Sperm bank the bet school used. Think it called vet gen or something, they store alot of prize bull and stallion semen there from what lsu told me. I had one done  a couple dif times years ago there and It only cost 65$ a year for storage. Cost me 500$ a collection tho because my dog was kinda ornery and didn't much like the idea of someone wackin him off so I had to wait for one of my bitches to go into heat and be bout ready so she would stand for him and bring em both in and the vet would let him mount before moving in and fooling him into thinking he was getn the real thing lol
Semmes
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 06:40:36 pm »

-edit- LSU 'vet' school, in Baton Rouge.
redriverslim
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 07:43:17 pm »

IF YOU WANT TO DO IT RIGHT, GO TO BRENTMOORE IN HOUSTON AND HAVE IT DONE.  THE BEST ADVISE I COULD GIVE ANYONE WANTING TO COLLECT SEMEN IS TO COLLECT YOUR DOG AT THE HOUSE A FEW TIMES BEFORE YOU TAKE HIM TO THE CLINIC.  MOST DOGS HAVE TO GET COMFORTABLE WITH BEING COLLECTED BEFORE THEY WILL GIVE A GOOD SPECIMEN.  YOU MAY DRIVE A LONG WAY AND THEN YOU GET THERE AND YOUR DOG WON'T COLLECT.  EASIEST METHOD IS TO TRY AND CATCH A FEMALE IN HEAT ON YOUR YARD.  SIMPLY RUB YOUR FINGER ON HER AND GET SOME SMELL ON YOUR HAND, THEN WALK OVER AND LET THE MALE SMELL IT FOR A MINUTE OR TWO.  THEN JUST JERK HIM AND TRY TO GET HIM TO KNOT UP.  ONCE HE'S KNOTTED, PULL THE PENIS BACK THROUGH HIS LEGS JUST AS IF YOU WERE SIMULATING WHEN THE DOGS WOULD BE TIED IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS.  JUST COLLECT IT OUT ON THE GROUND IF YOU WANT TO.  ALL YOU'RE TRYING TO DO IS GET HIM COMFORTABLE WITH BEING COLLECTED.  ITS BETTER IF YOU HAVE A HELPER TO HOLD HIS COLLAR, BECAUSE WHEN YOU GO TO BREAK HIS KNOT OUT OF THE SHEATH, HE IS GOING TO START SQUIRMMING AND SPINNING.  KEEP YOUR THUMB AND INDEX FINGER BEHIND THE KNOT UNITL HE IS FINISHED.  THIS WILL SIMULATE THE PELVIC BONE OF THE FEMALE THAT HOLDS HIM TIED UNTIL HE'S DONE.  THIS CAN TAKE 15-20 MINUTES.  WATCH HIS ANUS TO SEE IF IT IS PULSATING.  IF IT STOPS PULSATING, MANEUVER THE PENIS IN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT POSITIONS UNTIL IT STARTS PUMPING AGAIN.  THIS WILL KEEP HIM SETTLED AND CALM.  YOU DON'T WANT THE COLLECTION PROCESS TO BE TRAUMATIC OR UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE HE WILL NOT WANT TO BE COLLECTED.  IF YOU COLLECT HIM A FEW TIMES AT HOME, HE WILL COLLECT BETTER AT THE CLINIC.  SOME STUDS WON'T LET A STRANGER COLLECT THEM. 

AS FOR THE STORAGE RATES, THEY CAN GET EXPENSIVE.  YOU CAN FIND A TANK ON EBAY AND STORE IT AT HOME FOR FREE.  WE STORE K9 AND BULL SEMEN IN THE SAME TANK.  IT COST $20 EVERY 4 MONTHS FOR THE REP TO COME AND TOP OFF THE TANK WITH LIQUID NITROGEN.  YOU MUST COLLECT THE STUD AND FREEZE IT AT THE CLINIC.  THEN JUST HAVE THEM GIVE YOU THE STRAWS AND TAKE THEM HOME WITH YOU IN YOUR OWN TANK.  YOU CAN'T COLLECT SEMEN AND JUST PUT IT IN THE TANK.  THERE ARE CERTAIN PRESERVATIVES / EXTENDERS THAT HAVE TO BE ADDED TO THE SEMEN, AND IT HAS TO BE SPUN IN A CENTROFUGE TO CONCENTRATE THE SPERM FROM THE LUBRICATING FLUID.  THIS MAKES THE STRAWS MORE POTENT WHEN YOU GET READY TO USE THEM 10 YEARS FROM NOW.  WE COLLECT OURS AT THE CLINIC, THEN HAVE THE CLINIC TO SPIN IT, AND FREEZE IT, AND WE JUST BRING IT HOME IN OUT TANK.  MOST OF THE GOOD CLINICS ARE USING THE CAMELOT FARMS METHOD WHICH IS A FROZEN PELLETS FORM.

WHEN YOU STORE SEMEN AT A CLINIC, THE STORAGE RATES ARE USUALLY BASED ON AN ALLOTED AMOUNT OF SPACE WHICH CAN HOLD SEVERAL DOZEN OR SEVERAL HUNDRED BREEDINGS.  YOU PAY FOR THE SPACE EVEN IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE DOG IN THE BANK, SO YOU ARE PAYING FOR SPACE YOU'RE NOT USING.  IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY A TANK, JUST FIND SOMEBODY WHO DOES A.I. WORK ON CATTLE AND THEY WILL USUALLY HAVE A TANK.  ASK IF YOU CAN STORE YOUR STRAWS IN THEIR TANK. 

BREEDINGS ARE NOT BASED ON NUMBER OF STRAWS YOU GET FROM A COLLECTION, BUT BASED MORE ON THE MOTILITY AND THE COUNT OF THE DOG. THE CLINIC WILL CHECK ALL THAT UNDER THE MICROSCOPE BEFORE THEY FREEZE IT.  DON'T JUST ASSUME THAT "X" AMOUNT OF STRAWS IS GOOD FOR A BREEDING.  A YOUNG HEALTHY MALE WITH HIGH COUNT AND MOTILITY WILL GIVE YOU MORE FUTURE BREEDINGS IN A FEWER NUMBER OF STRAWS.     

WHEN YOU GET READY TO USE THE SEMEN, YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE TANK TO THE CLINIC, ALONG WITH THE FEMALE AND LET THE VET THAW IT AND LOOK AT IT UNDER THE MICROSCOPE. 

FROZEN SEMEN IN DOGS HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME, BUT THE SCIENCE IS WAY IMPROVED FROM 30 YEARS AGO.  THE BEST CONCEPTION RATE IS WITH SURGICAL IMPLANT IN THE FEMALE.  HOWEVER, PROGESTERONE BLOOD TESTS MUST BE DONE LIKE EVERY OTHER DAY TO GET THE OPTIMUM CONCEPTION RATE AND THAT IS EXPENSIVE.  IT IS POSSIBLE TO JUST THAW THE SEMEN AND A.I. THE FEMALE, BUT UNLESS YOU KNOW THE EXACT OVULATION TIME, IT'S A BIG RISK, BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT.  IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CAN JUST THROW THEM IN A PEN TOGETHER AND LET HIM BREED HER FOR A WEEK.  PROGESTERONE TESTING IS TIME CONSUMING (WITH MULTIPLE TRIPS TO THE CLINIC).

THE COLLECTION PART AND THE FREEZING PART IS PRETTY SIMPLE, IT'S THE BREEDING THE FEMALE PART THAT CAN GET COMPLICATED.  THE COLLECTION AND FREEZING COULD BE $250 TO $300.  SO NOW YOU'VE GOT THIS SEMEN FROZEN AND STORED.  NOW YOU'RE PAYING STORAGE IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR OWN TANK.  NOW WHEN IT COMES TIME TO BREED YOUR FEMALE, NOBODY IS GOING TO JUST GUESS WHEN THE FEMALE IS AT FULL OVULATION AND DRIVE TO THE CLINIC AND WASTE THE STRAWS, PLUS THE MONEY IT COST TO COLLECT AND FREEZE IT.  SO IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO PROGESTERONE TEST, IT'S KINDA A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. 

BULLDOG GUYS HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 25 YEARS.  I KNOW ONE GUY WHO COLLECTED SEVERAL STUDS MULTIPLE TIMES OVER A PERIOD OF SEVERAL YEARS.  HE HAD SO MANY STRAWS STORED IN THE BANK, THAT THE STORAGE FEES GOT SO EXPENSIVE HE JUST QUIT PAYING THE BILL.  SO NOW THE CLINIC HAS ALL HIS SEMEN ON SEVERAL BIG TIME STUD DOGS.  HOWEVER, THE CLINIC WON'T RELEASE HIS STRAWS UNTIL HE PAYS THE BILL WHICH IS OVER $5,000 RIGHT NOW.  NOW HE CAN'T GET HIS SEMEN OF SELL IT TO ANYBODY ELSE.

1) GET YOUR OWN TANK IF YOU WANT TO DO IT.

2) GET WITH A VET THAT IS KNOWLEDGABLE ON PROGESTERONE, STORAGE, COLLECTION, FREEZING, ADDITIVES, EXTENDERS, ETC.

3) NOT JUST ANY OLD VET CAN DO THIS STUFF.  IT'S A SPECIALIZED SKILL SET.

4) COLLECT YOUR DOG AT HOME BEFORE YOU TRY HIM FOR THE FIRST TIME AT THE CLINIC.

5) WHEN YOU COLLECT THE DOG, MAKE SURE THAT THE SHEATH GOES BACK OVER THE KNOT.  I USUALLY HAVE A LITTLE WATER MIXED WITH COCONUT OIL OR OLIVE OIL, ETC, AND SPLASH A LITTLE ON HIS KNOT.  IF THE SHEATH DOESN'T GO BACK OVER THE KNOT, I HAVE SEEN WHERE THE DOG HAD TO BE TAKEN TO THE VET AND HAVE THE SHEATH CUT, BUT ITS A RARE OCCURENCE.   

FROZEN SEMEN IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING YOU REALLY LIKE AND YOU LIKE WHAT HE PRODUCES.  MY OPINON IS IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF MONEY TO JUST COLLECT ANY OLD AVERAGE DOG . . . BECAUSE OF THE COST AND THE TIME INVOLVED.  HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING THAT YOU REALLY LIKE, OR SOMEBODY ELSE REALLY LIKES, THEN YOU'VE GOT SOMETHING WORTH DOING.   

l.h.cracker
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:11:23 pm »

Thanks for the comprehensive tutorial on collection I have a dog that I want to collect he is a mirror image of his Dad who was my friends and was scheduled for collection but was eaten by a gator a couple weeks prior. Exceptional dogs and definitely worthy.

Wisdom is something you get right after you need it.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:19:01 pm »

youd think there would be hog doggers trading straws all over the world. You could get a bull arab or lockley dog straw, would be cool. Ive tried to get a champion english pointer straw but I cant find a guy who will sell me one to do a bird bull cross, they will only sell you one if you have an approved registered EP. Not sure what the big deal is, not like Id tell anyone who the sire is. LOL! Has anyone ever had any problems using the straws? How much does it cost to get the female artificially inseminated?

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:19:01 pm »

youd think there would be hog doggers trading straws all over the world. You could get a bull arab or lockley dog straw, would be cool. Ive tried to get a champion english pointer straw but I cant find a guy who will sell me one to do a bird bull cross, they will only sell you one if you have an approved registered EP. Not sure what the big deal is, not like Id tell anyone who the sire is. LOL! Has anyone ever had any problems using the straws? How much does it cost to get the female artificially inseminated?

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 01:47:43 am »

Brittmoore Animal Hospital Inc
Animal Hospital
1236 Brittmoore Rd, Houston, TX 77043
(713) 468-8253

http://www.brittmooreanimalhospital.com/frozen-semen-fee-schedule.pml

WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 02:15:03 am »

I've had a lil experience with it and most has not been great. Many times the litters are smaller and if you use frozen semen you are probably throwing your money away if you do vaginal AI. It has an extremely low rate of success. You really should do a surgical AI with frozen. You can do vaginal with fresh chilled with reasonable success. Most vets that do it want to do progesterone tests on the bitch to nail the exact day. If you are lucky you can nail it with one or 2 tests but it can be as many as 4 or 5 at $80 a pop. The collection is not free either and my storage place charges $75 per year up to 30 straws. Surgical AI is Several hundred also. This is one reason there are not more guys doing it.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 10:33:25 am »

thanks wayoutwest that answers some of my questions about it. I suspected that there were other costs associated with the procedure, and drawbacks. How far out west are you?

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 10:45:19 am »

Washington , bout 40 miles north of Portland Or.
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 11:54:01 am »

you have any wild hogs up there? Ive heard there were some on the olympic peninsula that were eradicated, which is hard to believe considering how thick the brush is around there. Ive heard there some hogs east and north of bend oregon, and according to the canadian government the russian strain has made it to parts of BC.

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
WayOutWest
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 02:58:08 pm »

I've heard that about hogs up around Grays Harbor/ Montesano but they claim they are gone. I don't know but I think it would be about impossible to hunt them with dogs so I haven't done anything about it. Yes there are a few in north central Or. but they have been able to keep the numbers down and it would be very difficult to hunt with the mix of private land. Almost all the water is on private land. I do know a fella that popped a couple of them in the old Rajneeshe garbage dump. There is a youth camp there now. I go down to Cent Texas as soon as deer season is over and stay with Tdog for a month. Wish I could convince my wife we need a winter home down there.
CHRIS H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 11:12:53 pm »

Hello liefalwepon ,

I have a friend interested in collecting their dog and was wondering if  you ever ended up having your dog collected ?

If so is there any helpful tips you would give to someone interested in having this done ?

I've read the tips mentioned in the topic , but would like to see if there was anything that could be added for a first timer

Thanks
liefalwepon
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 12:40:44 am »

It was super easy, I just took him in and held him by the collar while the lady stroked him off into a bag, the worst part was the gal was plus size and disturbing thoughts were going through my mind, kinda comical after the fact, that lady had skills, sorry if this is TMI
She said he had excellent motility and a high percentage of viable sperm, she estimated 7 vials and we got 9, I didn't do anything to prepare my dog for the experience, but he was a bulldog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHACK EM N STACK EM!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: